6mm Rem vs 257 Bob rebarrel

burrhead

I have a Rem 722 in 244 that I’m going to have rebarreled in either 6mm Rem or 257 Bob. This will be for Texas whitetails, which generally run fairly small, at 50 to 250 yards. I’m a lifelong hand loader but, since I’m not getting any younger, this gun will go to my niece before too long. Neither she nor her husband will ever reload so ammo availability is a definite factor.

I don’t think I’ve ever bought any factory rifle ammo so I don’t know what’s commonly available. I do know 6mm brass is a little hard to get ahold of. So, which is easier to buy as loaded off-the-shelf ammo; 6mm or 257? 243 Win is certainly a thought but it just seems wrong in a 722.

TIA

Dufus

Even though the 257 Rob is going thru a well deserved rebirth, I would go with the 243 or a 7mm08 given your circumstances.

If recoil is a consideration, then the 243 Win would be the front runner for me. It will handle any Texas white tail they will encounter. Even in the South Texas brush country.

Otherwise, go with the 7mm08

Nathan

If it is a 244/6mm now, have you considered the 6.5x55 Swede? It too is going through a rebirth!

It is basically a 257 Bob with better hunting/match bullet availability.

Can an 08 be put on a Mauser bolt without issues?

<< Sorry, this is bad information...the Swede is 0.480”

Last edited:

burrhead

Thanks for the input. A 7-08 is a good suggestion but they both have 270s and I'm thinking about a time when their now baby becomes a little older. I'm also thinking about my use of this rifle for the next five years or so. I'd leave it a 244 but there's about a billion rounds down this barrel and it's time for a rebuild. Refinish the action and stock, newer scope, etc.

I know the smart move is a 243, and I may go that way, but I do have a certain nostalgia about it. I'm leaning towards the Bob but unsure about buying ammo.

Edit. Nathan I was writing while you posted. Hadn't thought of the Swede. Not sure if it will fit in the 722 action but I'll check it out.

Thanks for your help.

Paul B.

Well, around here the ammo for the .257 Bob is a mite scarce as is 6MM Rem. That sadly is the score right now and from what I've read elsewhere it's like that just about everywhere. I'm not the biggest fan of the .243 but it's OK. FWIW, I have two .243's and and two .257 Bob's so I scrounge brass when ever I find it it. I've been hoarding 100 rounds of Norma .257 Robt. factory ammo for some time. I don't even think Norma loads the "Bob" anymore. I like the 7x57 which I can load to match factory or load it up to where it matches or slightly surpasses factory 7-07 but like it's kinder, the 6MM and .257, brass and ammo are not all that easy to find, at least the ammo and brass I prefer.
Paul B.

old roper

I shoot 243 but I reload and I would think you can just about get any type factory ammo for it. Other choice maybe 6.5 Creedmoor,260. I haven't price any factory ammo and that maybe something you might look at before making choice.

RC20

I think you answered your own question, keeping a different caliber like 257 fed would be a problem for a non reloader.

243 is a very good caliber for small deer, certainly the range is well within its capabilities. Its an easy shooting caliber.

If you get a Remage barrel for it, you can set the heads space yourself with a few tools and the gun can be barrelled latter on. You could do both and have the barrel changed to 243 when you pass it on.

burrhead

RC20, you're right. I've had the frustration of keeping odd cartridges going and it's not for those who don't have the sickness. The more I think about it I'm going to let the nostalgia factor go and chamber it in 243. I'd like to think this old workhorse will have another generation of use.

Thanks for everyone's help. Gracias

Mobuck

IMHO
The 257 is a better deer round than 6mm(or 243 Win). I've shot many deer with both 243 and 257 but no longer use the 243 for deer. Right now, the 257 may have a wider selection of deer suitable factory loads than 6mm.

jmr40

If you get the 6mm/243 twisted for heavy bullets it is a much better deer killer than anything in 25 caliber.

Join the 21st century and just get it rebarreled to 6mm or 6.5 Creedmoor and call it a day.

burrhead

Texas Hill Country whitetails are small. A big buck is 150#. More generally 130 +/-. They're not hard to kill. When you get down to the brush country of South Texas it's another ball game; add 100+ pounds. There's been a boatload of deer taken in central Texas with 243, 6mm, 22-250.

Dufus

I've seen the 243 Win floor some decent deer in south Texas. I have seen a near 600 lb cow Elk nailed with one shot with it as well. Admittedly, I would not have done that, but it happened.

I haven't had a 243 in many years, but I hunted with one for 4 years straight before I gave it to my sister. Currently, I don't have a shootable rifle in less than 30 caliber.

I will add that in the 4 years of use, I never lost a deer using the 243 Win and all were one shot DRT. I used mostly 100 gr partitions in it.

Nathan

Edit. Nathan I was writing while you posted. Hadn't thought of the Swede. Not sure if it will fit in the 722 action but I'll check it out.

The Swede is a standard Mauser case head. << Sorry, this is bad information...the Swede is 0.480”

Last edited:

HiBC

The Swede is slightly larger in the case head.Bolt faces may be loose enough,but check case dimension drawings.

I'm a 257 R fan,and shoot a 257 AI.

I don't think a Texas White tail would be able to tell between them.

I've never lost a big game animal I hit with my 257.Thats not magic. Its easy to shoot a 257,or 244 well. Eyes open,no flinch.Placement is #1.

I have to agree,finding loaded 6mm or 257 R is not always easy or possible.
You can find a stash of virgin brass to work with. If you are going to pass the rifle on,A Lee hand press outfit might be able to fit in a 50 cal ammo can,or one of the Plano dry boxes. Press,manual,scale,dies,and components.

Thats one answer.Its a good one.Same ammo,every time.

Not everyone agrees with me,but not everyone has built the rifles and dealt with the problems. Everyone does seem to have an opinion,though.

Hands down,if we were talking about buying a new rifle,243,260,6,5 Creedmoor,7-08...all great choices. I don't think you can buy many 6mm/244 or 257 R rifles new today.

But you already know that fine old classic Rem will feed .244 or 6mm just fine.It was made for it. It will feed 257 R and 7x57 flawlessly. Mag box,feed rails,follower,all perfect. Barrel it and you are done.

That particular rifle was NOT made for the 243 or other 308 family cartridges.

Pull up the cartridge drawings and compare dimensions.The .308 family has a different case taper,just like the 7.62x39 and the 5.56 have different case taper. Can AR's be made to shoot 7.62x39 ammo? AK's 5.56? Yes.
But not with the same magazine geometry.

A 244 or 257 will achieve exactly the same,tight equilateral triangle stack that Mr Mauser designed his stagger box for in your Remington.

A .243 will not. Your gunsmith might fiddle with it and get it to work.Odds are good it won't be 100 % Mauser reliable.

Between 244/6mm and 257,figure on handloading and pick one. Both will be wonderful on Texas Whitetails. Its pure preference. Lone Star or Shiner..or Falstaff ? Tomatoes in your chili? Have it your way. I'm a 257 R fan.
Its not about ballistic numbers.

Its just a sweet spot.

Last edited:

Paul B.

"But you already know that fine old classic Rem will feed .244 or 6mm just fine.It was made for it. It will feed 257 R and 7x57 flawlessly. Mag box,feed rails,follower,all perfect. Barrel it and you are done."

I wonder? :confused: Didn't the M722 come with a short magazine, one of the reasons the .257 Bob heaviest factory loads of the day has a round nose bullet? It's been way too many years since I did any gunsmithing work.

So, I did a little bit of cartridge comparing. The 6MM with 100 gr. bullet and .257 Robt. with 100 gr. bullet were within a smidgen of being the same length. I didn't have a .257R load with 117 bullet of any type handy so will have to assume length is close to the 6MM and just seated deeper. The 7x57 with 140 gr. was borderline and the 175 gr. bullet was enough longer that no way would they fit in the magazine of the M722.

Just some random thoughts that came to mind while thinking on this subject.
Paul B.

burrhead

Using Sierra data, they call max for their 244 100gr Pro Hunter at 2.825" (I load that bullet to 2.830) and for the 257R with a 117gr, an OAL of 2.775". Oddly, Sierra's max for the 120gr bullet is 2.750. I donno, never owned a Bob.

44 AMP

Staff
".257 Bob"???

really??

you couldn't be bothered to type "Roberts"???

Or is the .257 Bob a new wildcat you have invented?? If so, you get to call it anything you like. (even if it has nothing to do with any of the cartridge dimensions)

introduced by Remingtion in1934, adopting the wildcat design of Ned Roberts, and changing the shoulder angle a little, the .257 Roberts has been with us a while, well known and recognized. What the heck is a .257 Bob??????:rolleyes:

std7mag

4rAMP,
Give the feller a break. At least he didn't say 6.5mm-257 Bob.
Gets my goat every time!

As for factory ammo avail for the 257 or 6mm Rem. Well scarce pretty well sums it up.

tango1niner

I believe the 722 was chambered in .243 Win. in 1960 and '61. I might check into exactly what was different then see if Gun Parts Corp had anything on hand.

I think .243 would be the easiest to get commercial ammunition for just about anywhere. I second the use of Nosler 100 gr. partitions.