6.8 mm

WeedWacker

Does anyone know if the Barrett 6.8 mm conversion has taken hold (conversion from 5.56 mm)? I haven't seen anything about it lately.

The 6.8 will never take hold on anything... The military is not particularly interested, and it sees very little use outside of special units.

HorseSoldier

5th SFG(A) trialled the 6.8mm in combat, the results were not sufficient to convince SOCOM (much less the Big Army, USMC, etc.) to adopt the round.

Any use of it at this point is being supported out of unit op funds, if at all.

Supposedly, the marines are now giving the round a look, however.

That said, I'm with RockyMtnTactical -- while it is a good round, I just don't see the military adopting it, for better or for worse. Partly because of the cost of replacement and partly because 5.56mm is doing the job quite well. The 6.8mm brings a different set of strengths and weaknesses to the table, in my opinion, rather than being an across the board superior round to 5.56x45.

buckster

Wasn't enough

The 6.8 proved to be good out to 200 yds, but the fact is is still isn't good enough to replace the 5.56 or the .308. The 6.5 mm Grendel has caught my eye lately. Black Hills will be making the ammo by mid 2007, and I'm seriously considering an Alexander Arms upper. I think that the 6.5 could succeed in replacing both, if A/A starts moving faster. Great B/C and accurate. Based off the 220 Russian.The 6.5 x55 Swede sure is great. The Grendel will follow.

It will never truly be "alive" unless it's adopted by our or someone elses military...

Most of the great battle rounds (not neccessarily good, but popular) have seen substancial use with a military or two... ;)

Jseime

If you are an ammunition company and you want your new round to skyrocket right from the get-go you try to get it adopted by the military.

Look at military rounds such as the .30-06, .308, 5.56X45 (.223), 7.62X39 you all know what those are how many average joe shooter/deer hunter guys have heard of the Lazzeroni Tomahawk. Having a military cartridge in your stable is a great accomplishment and it sells guns.

Even if the 6.8 doesnt succeed they tried to get it on the right track and it is about time those of us with a fetish for .277 caliber got something new to buy.

I don't think that was the question. It was something to the effect of "has the barrett 6.8 round taken hold" or something or other...

I'd say no, personally...

And keep in mind, I am not really opposed to the idea of the 6.8... I'd buy one if prices were reasonable, if ammo were more common (like in the case of many surplus military calibers)... and I think that is what's holding most people back...

In the mean time, the 5.56 round is quite alive... and doing pretty well too...

WeedWacker

Well I asked b/c I was thinking of getting a M4 clone (bushmaster or some such) and if it was compatable get the 6.8 mm conversion kit for deer (.223 seems a bit small to me personally. I like knock down power.) I would have a 5.56 varmint rifle and a reliable deer or larger (maybe elk. idk the specs on the 6.8) rifle.

Is there a 7.62 x 51 colt M4 style rifle? I can look that up myself. I like the new Kel-tec rifle tho. :cool:

FS2K

You could always get a .308 AR10 Carbine Weedwacker.

There are quite a few manefacturers making them.

As for the 6.8 SPC it's a good performing round but expensive and I doubt that will ever change. It had a lot of good thinking behind it, but in the end it did not prove itself to be undeniably superior to the 5.56.

The 6.5 Grendel may have lost out on the popularity contest between the 2, but it is an awesome round for long distance shooting,.

cheygriz

DPMS Panther Arms makes some of the very best, and most accurate, .308 AR type rifles in rhe world. Take a look at the DPMS webpage.

reginhild

Wasn't there some issue with the 6.5 Grendel not being suitable for belt-fed loading?

The 6.5 Grendel is a different round with better long range capability. It does not work with existing metal belt links made for 5.56 due to the different cartridge shape. It does work with standard AR15 parts (need 6.5 Barrel and bolt).

Crosshair

Those links are dirt cheap to make anyway, I don't see why that would be a large issue. Past 25 yards IIRC the 6.5 Grendel beats the 6.8 in every respect.

/Love my 6.5x55:cool:

jac673

That's OK for me. I picked up a 700 Tactical in 6.8 for reasonable money. This shoots great with SSA ammo as well as my reloads. Also, because of the good prices, I have a 700 with heavy 24" barrel on lay away. It'll be another month before I get it. These compliment my Model 1 6.8 upper that also shoots well with my reloads, but the SSA rounds are too hot for it.

In time, I hope this round will succeed - I did have hopes that some part of the military would adopt it.