6.5x55-vs-260-vs-6.5creedmore-vs-6.5x284

BIGR

Great information guys. The OP was referring to a varmint and target type rifle. I would assume that the .260 REM, 6.5 Creedmoor or 6.5X55 would also make a dandy medium caliber deer rifle. I have been thinking about a .260 REM. or a 6.5 Creedmoor in a lite weight package that would be easy to carry in the mountains. I have even considered having won built by NULA, but the cost keeps me away right now. I have all the larger calibers and do just fine with them, but they are heavier guns. It appears that those two calibers (.260 & 6.5 Creedmoor) are what they would say neck and neck :) as far as performance. I do reload so ammo availability would not be an issue.

Any input from you guys or gals that have used them in the field for hunting would be appreciated.

emcon5

Swedes have killed millions of moose/reindeer over the years with the 6.5X55, I expect it would be fine for just about anything in North America, short of Grizzly Bear.

I have a LR Varmint/Target rig in 6.5-06, built on a Rem 700 Action, with a 28" PacNor heavy barrel, in a HS stock. I shoot Hornady 140 AMAX (@~2800) for P-Dogs, and Sierra 140 Matchkings (@~2900) for target shooting. It is by no means a lightweight. It has easily 1000 rounds through it, and so far no drop in accuracy. I took it to the range last Saturday and was hammering steel plates at 400, 500, and 600 yards with ease, and once I figured out the dope, was hitting a steel plate at 950 yards about 3/4 of the time. I killed a P-dog at about 850 yards with it a few years ago. It is really a wonderful rifle.

It is a heavy S.O.B. though, and I wouldn't want to have to carry it all that far.

Outlaw81

The 6.5x.284 is the fastest, most efficient round outta the bunch. Problem is it goes thru barrels quickly. Its the best for up to 1500yd PAPER. The .260 Remington is the best of all as far as barrel life and handloading. I've taken it out to 1000 no problem. Either of the two I mentioned will do a job on up to elk or moose size critters. The best part I'd say is the ability to handload various weights for different applications. If ur shooting a lot I'd go with the 260. Its just more economical. I've got a custom GAP. 260 on its way.

M.O.A.

really the 6.5 rem mag and the 264 win mag are the top preformers in the 6.5 family.

but there all great rounds due to the fact that the 6.5 bullet has a greaat b.c. so what ever you pick it will be the right one.

as for me i went the creedmoor way just for something diffrent. :D

Outlaw81

Yeah ur right. I was actually toying with the idea of a 6.5wsm. 3300with a 142 would be great but u only get about 900 shots outta the barrel. :eek:

Last edited:

Gunplummer

I have a 6.5x55 on a Arisaka action and a .260 Rem on a 99 Savage action. Both are good for me because they are short and function very well with short barrels. If you want long range and a hot round you are usually talking a long barrel, so you might as well go with the 6.5-284.