55 (updated) Colorado Sheriffs File Against The State

Wreck-n-Crew

Original Filing by Sheriffs

92. HB 1224 and 1229 violate the Constitution of the United States. The Sheriffs cannot enforce a statute that violates the fundamental constitutional rights of the citizens of Colorado.
93. For reasons detailed supra and infra, HB 1224 and 1229 are utterly unenforceable, even if the Sheriffs wished to violate the U.S. Constitution.
Actually the complaint spans from 90-104 of the complaint here:http://www.i2i.org/files/file/54-sheriffs-complaint.pdf However I wanted to drop the first two in the complaint as an example of the intent and reasoning for the suit filed by the Colorado Sheriffs.

It seems from reading the complaint that it was their intent to complain about the effects of the law and how it inhibits them to do their job/duty (answering my previous question). The judges ruling
"If individual sheriffs wish to protect individual rights or interests they may do so ... however, the sheriffs have confused their individual rights and interests with those of the county sheriff's office," Krieger said.
So the Sheriffs rights are deemed different than their individual rights! Though legal for the judge to do so, no justice has been served on the part of the sheriffs in any way by the ruling. A motion to dismiss the sheriffs complaint filed by the Governor Hickenlooper, coincides with the previous stated quote by the judge on the reason for the ruling.

Seems to me that the only option left for the sheriffs is to file individually if they wish to have the state hear a complaint. Also if they file individually, they need to change their original complaint to avoid a similar ruling on an individual level would they not?

The Question remains, if the sheriffs complaint had not been job related and filed as a group would they still have been denied and forced to file as individuals in order to have their suit heard?

Given the likelihood that the most reasonable course of action would have been the original complaint, what real option is left to them?

Again being LE what legal recourse do they have to satisfy their complaint on the vagueness of the new law and it's effect on the ability to due their job fairly and without prejudice if the state in essence shut the door?

When a law is this defunct the only outcome is this kind of calamity.

Cnon

Why couldn't they form their own groups like "Colorado Sheriffs For Gun Rights"

Why couldn't they form their own groups like "Colorado Sheriffs For Gun Rights" and file that way; this was suggested to me on another forum.

Cnon

kkb

The case (Civil Action No. 13-Cv-1300-MSK-MJW) went to court Monday. Let's hope for the best.

The Independence Institute put up a tracking page at http://coloradoguncase.org/ - is there a better place to follow what happens?

Al Norris

Moderator Emeritus
That's probably as good a place as any.

This one has fallen between the cracks in my cases list. Sorry for that.