500 S&W rifles...are there any others?

samsmix

It isn't really about bragging rights, though that can be fun. I might be spending a lot of time on the Kenai Peninsula of Alaska, and I would be spending a lot of time hunting in big bear country. (This is the part where I get a flood of recommendations for other cartridges that I didn't ask about. My call, my hide, my choice) It won't be my primary "stomper" but...what the heck: I WANT ONE, and God Bless America that is reason enough.

There is an old and popular school of thought among hunters, that you don't bet your life on those fancy new auto loading mechanisms...lol I would say that the past 80+ years of Military use have dispelled this to some degree, but you are still more likely to see levers, pumps, and bolts in big bear country.

Also looking at a .450 Marlin, .375H&H or .458WM as a primary stomper. These are not hunting rifles for Griz. These are STOPPING rifles for Griz, should I need to pursue a wounded one into the alders. Probably the .450, as African rifles tend to weigh 10+LBS.

You'll all just have to take my word for it that I can shoot such a recoil monster well enough for the job at hand.

Last edited:

WV_gunner

I was only aware of the NEF version, which they did quit making. Which I'm sure recoil can't be that bad. 45-70 in one with LeveRevolution ammo and a synthetic stock isn't bad. After a few rounds you'll have to watch yourself flinching and after a box you'll have a bruised shoulder. But the recoil is plenty manageable, it's a little less than a single shot 10 gauge. Honestly I think the higher powered rifle rounds are worse in those guns. Might not hurt as much but you really have to hold on tight.

Your quest for a .500 lever reminds me of I was once wanted a .50 AE lever. I figured it'd be expensive but it was around $3000.

TMD

Which I'm sure recoil can't be that bad. 45-70 in one with LeveRevolution ammo and a synthetic stock isn't bad.

The .45-70 operates at around 28k psi and yes I know some modern guns will handle loads in excess of 45k. The .500 magnum on the other hand operates at pressures up to 60k. If you don't think this is a significant difference its because you've never fired one.

Also, the 500 SW is designed to be shot out of short barrels and the 45-70 is designed to be shot out of long barrels. To get the most out of the short barrels, it makes sense to use a faster burning powder. Most people feel faster burning powders have more felt recoil.

Last edited:

TXAZ

If you want to consider .50 as in .50BMG, there are quite a few with very serious muzzle brakes resulting in very reasonable recoil.

samsmix

Well the .50 BMG would certainly have the stopping power I am looking for, I don't think it would be much fun to carry in the back country.

I am basically looking for a gun in the same class as the Towner, but for less mulah. Any repeating action type would do.

I have a custom made Marlin 50 A.E. ( the 50 A.E has a rebated rim, so we started with a 44 Magnum lever action ) this was done 15-20 years ago, back before the Marlins joined the quality rollercoaster... thought it would be an easy conversion... but there were lots of little things needed done... once completed, the forearm shot loose in one magazine full, so it got glass bedded & reinforced... seems to hold up pretty good now...

but it did turn a cream puff, into a dragon... heavy cast bullets with a case full of powder get your attention for sure, & required me adding an additional recoil pad...

IMO, pound for pound, the 45-70 / 450 Marlin in a Guide gun probably does what you're looking for ( unless this rifle is to be a companion gun to a 500 S&W revolver :) )

BTW... I have a custom Martini single shot sporter in 50-70, & by design, it's quick to reload, albeit it's still a single shot... but there is nothing like pumping 500 + grain .510 bore bullets down range :)

Ricklin

Wild West Guns

Check out Wild West guns, in Anchorage I think. They do a custom conversion lever gun intended as a bear buster.
Used to be a very active poster here that worked for them. Have not seen him post in a very long time.