500 S&W rifles...are there any others?

samsmix

I know about the Towner pump action, but surely there must be other repeating rifles in this caliber. What is out there, and what does it cost?

I'd really like an 18" or 20" barreled bolt action carbine.

g.willikers

After seeing the prices for those 500s, a .44 Magnum lever action looks better and better.
But nowhere near the bragging rights of the .500, though. :eek:

Last edited:

Catfish

I would suggest that you fire a 500 S&W rifle before you buy one. I would sooner fire 50 round through my revolver than 1 through a Handy Rifle.

I know someone else in Ohio who would agree with Catfish.
The H&Rs were discontinued b/c they were tearing themselves apart.

Last edited:

samsmix

I don't think a Handi-rifle in 500 was ever gonna be acquired. Looking for a repeater, not too spendy.

Looks like Mosins are being converted...

TMD

I would suggest that you fire a 500 S&W rifle before you buy one. I would sooner fire 50 round through my revolver than 1 through a Handy Rifle.

I've fired the 500's and 460's in both configurations. I couldn't agree more and must say in rifle platforms they are downright painful.

At least with the 460 you have less painful options readily available if you don' like the full power loads.

I have to mention that it seems people are shooting these out of very light weight handi-rifles and only slightly heavier Encores for the most part. Add some weight and they may be more palatable.

T. O'Heir

"...not too spendy..." You looked at the cost of .500 S&W ammo/brass? Roughly $35 and up per 20 for loaded ammo. Brass, Hornady only, is on sale at $32.20 per 50. Midway prices. You may want to look into that more first.

samsmix

Right you are, but I buy ammo as I need it for hunting calibers. For the rifle I have to pony up all at once.

As far as the recoil goes, I'm pretty sure it is stout, but no worse than .375s and .458s I've fired I'm sure. More abrupt I would suspect, but with fewer ft/lbs of total energy transfer to the shooter.

GeauxTide

Why not consider?

A 450 Bushmaster? AR Rifle and Leupold 1x4 Hog scope for $1500. Hornady 250 Flex tip at 2200, 300 at 1900. For me, another plus is it's shoots .45 Colt bullets. Recoil like a 20ga shotgun and 1 hole groups. Fits an AR15, so you could buy an upper for half that.

DaleA

TMD-thanks for the link to Big Horn Armory and the lever guns in .460 S&W magnum and .500 S&W magnum.

Out of my range for serious consideration ($2700 for the lowest .500) it's fun to look anyway. Thanks.

samsmix

Hunting with an AR just leaves me cold. I don't care that other people do, it just isn't for me.

It looks like a number of folks have successfully converted the Mosin Nagant. Could be a fun project.

GeauxTide

Hunting with an AR just leaves me cold.

Hah! I felt the same way until 3 years ago. Picked up an Oracle when prices went down. Shot it and enjoyed it, but not for hunting. After two spine surgeries, I wanted less recoil. Last year, I got a 6.5 Grendel and was astonished at the accuracy and performance. 2500fps from 30gr of powder under 123SSTs. Then, I wanted something to replace my 1895 Shoulder Blaster. Discovered the 450 Bushmaster. What could be more handy in the woods than a 16" barreled, 7# carbine? Good luck in your search.