500 or 460

disseminator

Sorry but there is no replacement for displacement. What do you mean by "equal"? Are you talking about energy numbers?

As you know, there are many factors which determine suitability for a particular purpose. In the case of this post, we are discussing the performance of the 460 vs the 500 S&W.

I said that up to 400gr of bullet weight the 460 will generally equal or outperform a 500 of the same weight. To which you seem incredulous.

Consider the following Swift A-Frame bullets:

attachment.php

These are very good bullets for the largest of game anyone would take with any gun much less a handgun.

If you notice, the Sectional Density of the 45 caliber version is considerably higher than the 500. This is generally accepted to equate to better penetration with higher numbers.

The Ballistic Coefficient is also markedly higher which means the 45 caliber bullet will retain more energy at longer ranges.

If you really believe that the small edge in diameter out ways the superior BC and SD of the 45 bullet. I doubt there is much I can say to change your mind.

It's really splitting hairs anyways, they will both perform very closely for real world applications and that includes the 475's as well.

Attachments

• aframe.png
    aframe.png
    74.7 KB · Views: 611

jackmoser65

I ask again, do you hunt with a handgun? I don't believe you do, otherwise you wouldn't even be bringing up BC. At revolver ranges, BC is irrelevant. As is energy. If you really believe that BC is relevant but the difference in diameter is not, your experience level is severely lacking.

Who is comparing bullets of the same weight? The heavy 45's do t heir best work with bullets in the 325 to 360gr. range. The 500 works best with bullets in the 400 to 500gr. range. That is a substantial difference in weight and diameter, both of which are important. The A frame is a good bullet but I don't consider any expanding bullet good for any game over 1000lbs. Preferably less. Nor do I think a 325gr. hollow point is good for anything but deer in the 500. For game larger than elk I want a hard cast of the various LBT designs and over 400gr. in weight. For larger dangerous game, I may even want a gilding metal solid like the Barnes Buster or those from Lehigh Defense and Cutting Edge. They work better than cast bullets on heavily constructed game. If you think the 45's, 475's and 500's are all pretty much the same, you've never shot anything with them.

Usually I shoot 460s if I am looking at longer range. I don't think I ever tried 45 Colts out of the 460 much beyond 25 yards for accuracy testing. I use a scope for testing loads but usually shoot iron sights that are adjusted to POA-POI at 75 yards. My biggest hold back shooting 45 Colts at distance is that I expect the point of impact would be markedly different and I don't see an advantage of shooting longer shots with a 45 Colt over a 460.
You proved my point. You're getting the same results at 25 yards with the 45 Colt that you're getting at 100 yards with the 460. That's a significant reduction in accuracy.

ruggyh

I do hunt with both these calibers in X-frame revolvers; taken both bison and brown bear, which are as big as you can get in North America.

I don't see much difference, if either in the field when you select the right bullet.

Bullet selection with correct placement equates to quick end, caliber is secondary to these.

There is no argument the size of the hole might make a difference when you shoot or chose your bullet poorly.

Kinetic energy is a meaningless marketing tool used to sell ammunition.

good luck and be safe
Ruggy

ps. BC might be important if shooting your 460 at distance - 460 is not your typical handgun round, 200yard is easily double for the practiced hunter.

Last edited:

ruggyh

On the 45 Colt in 460 S&W note

My experience mirrors Jacks, the 1/2 inch jump degrades accuracy to unacceptable past 15 yards.

The solution is to load Colt velocity loads in 460 brass, accuracy is now acceptable. My only question here would be why not just use a revolver cambered in 45C to start with, to each their own.

Be safe
Ruggy

Targa

My only question here would be why not just use a revolver cambered in 45C to start with, to each their own.

I don't think anyone is suggesting a .460 as a replacement to someone wanting a .45lc, just that the .460 has the flexibility to fire .45lc.

44 AMP

Staff
I don't see how you get this;

You proved my point. You're getting the same results at 25 yards with the 45 Colt that you're getting at 100 yards with the 460. That's a significant reduction in accuracy.

out of that;
Usually I shoot 460s if I am looking at longer range. I don't think I ever tried 45 Colts out of the 460 much beyond 25 yards for accuracy testing.

Maybe I'm reading something into this that isn't intended, but I don't see how you can say there is a serious reduction in accuracy when there is no .45Colt at 100yd shooting done to compare directly with the .460.

I see potential the .45 Colt out of the .460 gun not being as accurate at 100yds as .460 out of a .460. I'll even go so far as to say its probable, but unless one shoots both at the same ranges (for accuracy) its not proof.

I'm not going to argue that the extra long bullet jump doesn't affect the accuracy, negatively, because in my experience, it does. While I don't have any personal experience with the .45 Colt in the .460, I DO have experience with the .45 Colt in a Contender with a .45 Colt/.410 barrel, and that experience is why I bought a .45 Colt (ONLY) barrel for my Contender.

Chaz88

My 8&3/8 .460 is scoped and set up for hunting. There is nothing fun about shooting it with Hornady .460 XTP's. For fun I think I would take the cope off and hand load something that would not leave you with PTSD after 20 rounds.

Yes, I know "why not just use a rifle". Because there are many places that you can not use a rifle and I do not like hunting big game with a shotgun that much.

jackmoser65

Maybe I'm reading something into this that isn't intended, but I don't see how you can say there is a serious reduction in accuracy when there is no .45Colt at 100yd shooting done to compare directly with the .460.
It's shooting 1.5 inches at 100 yards with 460 loads and about the same at 25 yards with 45 loads. Unless he has some laser guided bullets, those 45 loads aren't going to magically stay at 1.5 inches at 100yds. We can reasonably expect groups to be around 6 inches.