500 or 460

Venom1956

Hey all,

I wanted to get a 500 for fun. but i don't really like the 4 inch or the 9 inch version but I do like the 7.5 460 PC a lot. looks about the right size or possibly the 5.5 500 half shroud. Anyone have experience with either of these?

Targa

I do not have experience but certainly like the flexibility in .460 chambering the .454 and .45 as well.

Sevens

I don't believe the .460 Mag is truly "flexible" by being able to shoot .454 Casull or .45 Colt, and especially the .45 Colt which is almost silly out of the big X-frame.

However, the flexibility certainly does appear in .452" component bullet selection at the load bench.

And if you don't handload, you probably won't see a lot of fun from an X-frame if you are paying retail for ammo.:eek:

CDR_Glock

Both calibers are flexible as long as you reload.

500 S&W can load from 275 grains to 725 grains. You can shoot 500 special up to the general and painful 725 grain bullet. Factory ammo can range from $3-$4 per round.

The 460 XVR in the 8 3/8" barrel is what a lot of data is based upon. It can shoot 200 grains around 2300 FPS to over 400 grains. It is the fastest cartridge in a handgun and shoots relatively flat. Price is about the same.

The 454 Casull was my threshold into the large Magnums. It runs $2-$3 per round.

Again, the advantages are if you reload.

The 460 can shoot 460 Magnum, 454 Casull and 45 Colt. Since the smaller cartridges are shorter, the cylinder must be cleaned thoroughly.

I don't plan to shoot smaller caliber loads like 454 and 45 Colt, though.

Here is my 6.5" 500, 8 3/8" 460, 7.5" 454 and 7.5" 44 Magnum. I prefer velocity over the convenience of a lighter gun.
388320922e0a196d30f6ee3025fae631.jpg

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

buck460XVR

Hey all,

I wanted to get a 500 for fun. but i don't really like the 4 inch or the 9 inch version but I do like the 7.5 460 PC a lot. looks about the right size or possibly the 5.5 500 half shroud. Anyone have experience with either of these?

What kind of fun? Takin' your buddies to the range and having them impressed by recoil or by pickin' off a clay pigeon @ 100 yards? If the first example, stick with the shorter non-braked models. If you want top accuracy go with the 7.5 or 10.5 braked versions as not only are they highly accurate, but actually pleasant to shoot. Ammo is cheaper for the .460 whether you reload or not. If $2-$3 a pop is too rich for your blood and you don't plan on reloading, you might want to stick with a .44.

Loosedhorse

I have experience with both the .460 and the .500.

The advantage of the .460 is ammo flexibility (as Targa mentioned) and range. Note that the case of the .460 is longer (1.8" vs 1.625"), so you can get more powder behind a lighter bullet with the same sectional density. If you want to punch paper or hunt at good distances (100-200 yards), this is the one.

As for ammo flexibility, that has two advantages. First, if you travel to hunt with the gun and the airline looses your .460 ammo, .454 will not be as hard to get as .460 in many locations (most of Alaska, for example). Next, if you're thinking about a short barrel for bear defense, you can do a lot of practice with less-powerful loads to get your draw/on target/shoot motion smooth; once that's done, you can practice with the same motion with the ammo you'd actually want in an emergency.

(Remember to keep track of accuracy: makes no sense to pack something you can't hit with.)

For pure "GO KABOOM!!!" fun and don't-flinch challenge, the .500 is hard to beat. I actually own some of these:

https://underwoodammo.com/shop/500-sw-magnum-700-grain-lead-wide-flat-nose-gas-check/

...but I haven't dared shoot them yet. Will definitely wear gloves; might consider a helmet to keep the barrel in recoil from reaching my (clearly empty) forehead.
:D

Would load only one, to start.
I do like the 7.5 460 PC a lot. looks about the right size or possibly the 5.5 500 half shroud.
Unless you're planning to tote one of these for bear defense, I can't imagine you'd ever regret getting the longest possible barrel (and a good brake). Use good hearing protection!

Last edited:

CDR_Glock

I have experience with both.

The advantage of the .460 is ammo flexibility (as Targa mentioned) and range. Note that the case of the .460 is longer (1.8" vs 1.625"), so you can get more powder behind a lighter bullet with the same sectional density. IF you want to punch paper at good distances, this is the one.

For pure "GO KABOOM!!!" fun and don't-flinch challenge, the .500 is hard to beat. I own some of these:

https://underwoodammo.com/shop/500-sw-magnum-700-grain-lead-wide-flat-nose-gas-check/

...but I haven't dared shoot them yet. Will definitely wear gloves; might consider a helmet to keep the barrel in recoil from reaching my (clearly empty) forehead.

:D

Would load only one, to start.Unless you're planning to tote one of these for bear defense, I can't imagine you'd ever regret getting the longest possible barrel (and a good brake). Use good hearing protection!

I wanted longer barrels to get the velocity that these guns are capable of achieving.

A Snubby would be interesting but I'd stay away from the hottest loads.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Venom1956

For fun as in it won't be bought for a purpose such as hunting. I shoot for enjoyment. I doubt it will be a high round count gun. I shot the 500 out of a four inch model from a guy that was dying to try my 1911 so I got a full cylinder of 300ish grains to try and the recoil was far less then I expected not terrible much better then my .44 redhawk.

T. O'Heir

Gigantic pictures aside(1920 x 1440 is way too big), which ammo/brass is easiest for find where you are? Assuming you can find it locally at all.
Kind of odd that .500 S&W is more expensive than .460 S&W. Loaded .500 starts at about $35 per 20 at Midway. Vs about $30 for the .460.
Brass is the other way around.

jackmoser65

The .500 gets you greater capability. The .460 gets you more range. If you're not going to hunt with it then it doesn't matter, get whatever you want. :confused:

ruggyh

Hey all,

I have these and others lengths as well.

Handle/shoot them and get the one that you like best. No one but you can decide.

They both are fine - each shoots well - perceived recoil is similar, either requires you to handload to take full advantage of the full potential of their respective cartridge.

The only consideration you should be aware of is component cost, when handloading the 460 will be a little less expensive to shoot- just a little.

be safe
Ruggy

disseminator

I have never regretted choosing the 460 Magnum over the 500.

I am a handloader, and the bullet availability and ability to shoot 45 Colt, 45 Colt +P (Ruger Only), 454 Casull, and the mighty 460 is a lot better IMO that the tiny advantage the 500 brings in bullet weight.

This is doubly true if it's a range baby.

Venom1956

For some reason the 460 is made in barrels that the 500 isn't. I find all of them far more appealing.

11626_01_lg_1.jpg

163465_01_lg_1.jpg

The 4 inch barrel just looks stumpy but this 5 incher is quite nice. The 9inch seems comically long on the normal 500 this 7.5 looks much better.

jackmoser65

I am a handloader, and the bullet availability and ability to shoot 45 Colt, 45 Colt +P (Ruger Only), 454 Casull, and the mighty 460 is a lot better IMO that the tiny advantage the 500 brings in bullet weight.
Tiny advantage??? I have to say it's quite rare for the difference between a 45 and a 500 characterized as "tiny". The 500's do their best work with 425-500gr bullets and that is not a "tiny" advantage but a mighty significant one. Do you hunt with a handgun?

Moreover, the ability to shoot 45 colt is no advantage. I've never seen anything but dismal accuracy reported due to the looooong jump from case to throat.

saleen322

Moreover, the ability to shoot 45 colt is no advantage. I've never seen anything but dismal accuracy reported due to the looooong jump from case to throat.

Interesting comment. I wonder if any of those commenting on the poor accuracy have any actual experience or what they define as dismal performance. Under 2" @ 25 yards I consider good. YMMV

45%20Colt%20Tgt_zps00sn4emf.jpg

disseminator

Tiny advantage??? I have to say it's quite rare for the difference between a 45 and a 500 characterized as "tiny". The 500's do their best work with 425-500gr bullets and that is not a "tiny" advantage but a mighty significant one. Do you hunt with a handgun?

The 460 will equal or exceed most loads up to and including a 400gr WFN GC at 1800 fps.

It will have superior BC and SD with all of those bullets up to 400gr vs the 500. Furthermore, the 460 will generally have less recoil (will vary by loads) and more energy at longer ranges vs the bigger 500.

Beyond 400gr for hunting? What do you imagine yourself shooting that won't die from a 400gr bullet at 1800fps? If you really need that much bullet, I'll give the nod to the 500.

The 45 Colt loads are plenty accurate too as has been shown. As are 454 Casull. They shoot to a different point of aim for me so I don't use them in the woods, only at the range.

I think the 500 is a very fine cartridge. I may even buy one one day. But it's not so superior vs the 460.

random guy

Even with iron sights the .500 is easy to hit with at 100yd. That's the farthest I've shot one. Don't know why but that's about as far as I wish to shoot anything with a handgun.

As heavy as these beasts are it just makes sense to use a rifle or a simpler, lighter single shot for longer ranges. The idea of a scope on a revolver does not appeal to me. If there is a use for a rapid fire long range handcannon, I haven't found it.

A lot of people like the .460 for its lighter recoil so that is a plus to some. If you were heavily invested in other .45 cals, that would also be a rationale.

I really like the more traditional looks of the 6.5" .500. If it were blued, it would be perfect. I've only seen one in a shop. Must not be a big seller. While the other more modern versions work quite well, their styling is a bit off-putting to me.

jackmoser65

Under 2" @ 25 yards I consider good.
Double the range and I'll be impressed.

Uh, yeah, unlike a lot of posters, I prefer to speak from experience. The 45 Colt works well out of 454's but the 460 is just too long a jump. Obviously not all experience is going to be the same.

The 460 will equal or exceed most loads up to and including a 400gr WFN GC at 1800 fps.
Sorry but there is no replacement for displacement. What do you mean by "equal"? Are you talking about energy numbers? Do you hunt with handguns? Deer or larger? No one who has ever killed a respectable amount of big game with handguns will agree with your comments here that the 500 is a "tiny advantage" over a 45. Same can be said for the 475's. It is absolutely superior to the 460 in every way, unless you're just trying to impress your onlookers at the range. :rolleyes:

Here's a good book for you to start with:

http://a.co/cskGLpa

saleen322

Double the range and I'll be impressed.

Usually I shoot 460s if I am looking at longer range. I don't think I ever tried 45 Colts out of the 460 much beyond 25 yards for accuracy testing. I use a scope for testing loads but usually shoot iron sights that are adjusted to POA-POI at 75 yards. My biggest hold back shooting 45 Colts at distance is that I expect the point of impact would be markedly different and I don't see an advantage of shooting longer shots with a 45 Colt over a 460.

200-100Yrds-1.jpg
460-200FPX.jpg