5 inch S&W Pre-Model 10 M&P

jacobtowne

Great revolvers, the old M&Ps. Here are my two, both WWII military issue (if I can get the image transferred successfully, that is).

JT
MPsLiteColorSized.jpg

The one at top is a US Navy issue .38 Special (1943) GHD accepted.

Bottom is a Lend-Lease .38 S&W New Zealand issue (1942) WB accepted.

Attachments

• M&PsLiteColorSized.jpg
    M&PsLiteColorSized.jpg
    143.3 KB · Views: 27

BillCA

Wow XB! A great shooter for $89 and some elbow grease! Doesn't get any better than that!

You're about right on dating your M&P revolver. As I recall, many of the old style 158gr LRN & LSWC rounds had an external lubricant on the bullet. I think this started disappearing around the late 1950's.

There's nothing wrong with those groups either. You'll probably find that a standard pressure 158gr round will be the most accurate out of your gun, that being what S&W regulated their sights with for most of the last century.

By the way, the proper name is .38 Military & Police Model (postwar). although a lot of follks refer to them as a Pre-model 10. Pop the grips off and see if yours still has a hole in the side of the frame for the access to the lanyard ring lock pin (a hold over from the Victory models).

By your S/N, it's within about the first 30,000 or so made, so 1945-1946 is a good bet.

Congrats on your new S&W!

XavierBreath

Pop the grips off and see if yours still has a hole in the side of the frame for the access to the lanyard ring lock pin (a hold over from the Victory models).
I popped them off to double check, and there was no extra hole. On the up side, this time I did notice the serial number stamped in the right grip. I missed it before because it was in two rows, three numbers on top, three below as in:
XXX
Because of the fit I was positive they were original, but it's nice to know the serial number is in there.

You know, I am amazed at the workmanship and tolerances in this revolver. When you consider that at the time it was their standard bottom of the line gun, it's amazing. The fit of the parts is superior to any modern off the shelf gun I have seen.

RWK

XB,

Very, very nice: revolver quality and true condition, price, accuracy, your maintenance/renovation. Very well done and congratulations!

Regards.