5 inch S&W Pre-Model 10 M&P

XavierBreath

5inchmilpolice.jpg

I think I scored today. I found a 5 screw 5 inch M&P with all numbers matching wearing the original grips. It's kind of rough, but checks out well using Mr. March's Revolver Checkout. It looks to have been fired very little, but it has a bit of the rust bug attacking it. I have it soaking in ATF right now (sans grips) before I try to loosen any screws. The serial number is S 841XXX. Now here's the best part.....The price was $89. I did not haggle. I did ask that they throw in the holster. ;)

Handy

That's nice.

For the rust, try a copper scrub pad (for dishwashing) and gun oil. The copper will take off the rust without scratching the remaining blue (like steel wool or Scotchbrite would). Remove the copper with bore solvent when done.

I've had incredible results with this method - some rust will disappear with perfect blue left behind.

Either way, a good purchase.

XavierBreath

SWMPPreModel10.jpg

Thanks Handy! I never thought about copper scotchbrite! Makes a lotta sense and works like a charm.

I have long used automatic transmission fluid as a penetrating oil before any old tractor or gun disassembly. I have never found a screw on a gun that could resist it, and very few bolts on tractors.

Tommorrow morning, it goes to the range!

Handy

Just make sure it is actual copper, and not the copper colored Scotchbrite pads. Big difference!

Can't wait to hear how it shoots. The seventies era Model 10 I picked up recently for $150 is wonderful.

BillCA

Nice find XB!
That "S" prefix gave it away. You have an early post-war M&P (pre-model 10) made 1945-1948. With the original diamond grips too! Nice find.

How's the bore look? A friend of mine used to treat rusty bores with a bronze brush & toothpaste and it seemed to work fine.

John_W_L

"I found a 5 screw "

XavierBreath- Why do they call it a 5 screw? Also I read the article on your web page about Remington 870 vs Mossberg 500. A great point of view. I have a Moss and let my 870 go........I look forward to reading about your range results. Thanks. John

blume357

that's the one

That's the pistol I grew up with.. My father had two... one went to me for a while and now my brother has... the other one is always with my father... burned into the grip is "Korea - Dec. 1950, It's hell"

Both were damn fine shooting....

XavierBreath

Quick questions & answers before I take off for the range..........
The bore is, believe it or not, pristine. It looks new. How it survived without rust, I do not know. I took apart the insides for cleaning, and saw the same thing. There was absolutely no wear on the lockwork. No casehardening was rubbed off around the pivot posts, and no blueing wear where they pivot inside. Even the posts retained blueing. I suspect this revolver was fired less than 50 times in it's life. I'm dating this revolver at about 1946-47. Does that seem correct?

One question........Did the old 1940 era ammo have a waxy coating similar to .22 ammo? If it did, and the bore was not cleaned, could that explain the beautiful bore? (sorry for the less than stellar pic, it's tough with my camera, because the flash is offset)
attachment.php

I'm not certain on the holster, the back is stamped
JP
MPD
The fit is excellent, the trigger is exposed, and the strap goes behind the hammer.

The 5 screw revolvers have four screws in the sideplate, and one in the triggerguard (one of the sideplate screws is under the grips). The trigger guard screw was eliminated first in 1955 I believe, and then the upper sideplate screw in 1961.

Attachments

• bore.jpg
    bore.jpg
    111.4 KB · Views: 747

HSMITH

Wow, I would have hurt myself going for my wallet on that gun......

Great find and a great buy. Be prepared to be extremely spoiled, guns from that era are extremely nice or at least the two that I have are extremely nice shooters.

Handy

Lead ammo is/was lubed with something "waxy". That, or the gun was just cleaned well, but came in contact with a cloth that eventually dried out, causing the outside to corrode in spots.

XavierBreath

Range Report

premodel10range.jpg
She's a shooter. A better shooter could have shot her better, but I am pleased. There were no issues. No spitting, no extraction problems, no flyers that I did not call. I shot 200 rounds of Winchester White Box. The revolver functioned as well hot as it did cold.

Now if I could just find a Registered Magnum for $250...........I can dream, right? ;)

GEE, would you look at that....

According to some people here, Xavier, your double action groups are IMPOSSIBLE to have achieved because they aren't larger than the single-action groups by a factor of 10 or more.

Everyone knows that no one can shoot double-action nearly as well as a single action.

Have you sold your soul to Satan or something? ;)

I always laugh when people here say that tight groups arnen't achivieable double action, or that the revolver is obsolete and will only get you killed.

Nice way to point out the lies!

And yes, I'm exceptionally jealous of your 5" M&P.

So jealous, in fact, that I'l double your money if you're interested in selling. :)

I'd say you scored. The gun was rough but looks like it cleaned up pretty good. Not surprising to me that inside was prisitne while outside looked like Hell. Most guns don't really get shot much and most damage is through carrying, handling or neglect.

I have a Military & Police I got from a pawn shop for $60. The 4" barrel was bulged so they sold it cheap. I had a used 5" tube in the parts drawer and the swap took about 45 minutes. Shoots fine.

Not as good as you, though. Damn, that's some shootin'!

Jeff #111

I have a late great uncle who fought in WW2 (European Theater) as an infantry soldier. After the war he spent the next forty years as a cop. He had the unfortunate experience of having to kill a few men in the line of duty during his law enforcement career. He was a very expereinced and educated shooter. He also owned an impressive firearms collection. I believe there were over a hundred pieces in his collection at the time of his death.

When my dad entered the profession in 1970 he was issued a very battered Colt OP from the 30's. When he told Mac what they had issued him he sent dad a new nickle plated Model 10 w/4" barrel. He was a very generous man and he didn't like the idea of his favorite nephew being ill-equipped.

Well the point of my story is that even though he knew his firearms and had fired more then a few round in combat (and had more then a few fired at him) he always carried a 38 special. Always. When he passed away in 93 his CCW was a Chiefs Special - also nickel plated.

Mac understood the limitations of the 38 but he also knew that it was a very accurate round and the right type of bullet would do the job.

I like the M&P and I've become a big fan of the 38 over the past few years. I guesss I'm growing up. Good job.