5.56mm called a "worthless round"

FerFAL

Ddelange wrote:
Yes, a larger caliber will make a slightly larger entry hole, and most of the time a larger exit hole, but that's irrelevant to what happens while the bullet is inside the torso. When the right 5.56mm bullet enters the torso, it penetrates about 4" before breaking into two pieces. The first piece begins tumbling through the torso before exiting back first. The rest of the bullet fragments into many pieces, which fill the temporary cavity caused by the high velocity of the bullet and creates a larger wound cavity. The fragments thus have a better chance of destroying organs or arteries that cause bleeding, and (besides a head shot) and bleeding out is the only way an enemy is going to die. A 7.62mm makes a slightly larger permanent wound cavity, but does not fragment so even though it was bigger going in, it does not destroy as much vital tissue as the right 5.56mm can. Therefore, an enemy (assuming proper bullet selection for both calibers) probably won't bleed out and die after a direct hit of 7.62mm as fast as he will from a direct COM hit from 5.56mm

Hi everyone.
You are forgetting one important factor: The importance of temporary cavity.
The temporary shock cavity made by the 308 is MUCH bigger than the one made by the 223.
There is no way around physics. Much bigger bullet with more energy do more damage.
Compared to the 223, the 308 has about twice the frontal area and delivers TWICE the amount of energy. If we were talking about pistol rounds or any other round at all, this fact would be enough to settle the matter once and for all, but we are supposed to believe that fragmentation compensates for such an obvious difference in power.
The entire fragmentation point is rather weak.
Think about handgun defensive ammo. Today’s top brands look to retain as much weight as possible, with little fragmentation. Think about the entire concept behind the Gold Dot ammunition. Today, most fragmentation handgun rounds are not considered as good stoppers as it was advertised some years ago.
Why would it work differently on the 223 round?
The reason behind the lack of popularity of fragmentation rounds is that the energy used up on fragmentation on the 223 round is energy that it is not being transferred into the target.
IMO, a larger temporary cavity is MUCH better than a small permanent cavity, since the shock overloads the nervous system, creating the shock required to put the target down at once.
Most American soldiers complain about the 223 performance, some say it does ok but most soldiers that saw a good amount of firefight have bad things to say about it.
Would I wan to get shot with it? No thanks, but that does not change the fact that the 308 is a more powerful round.
I live in Argentina, and we did have more than a few armed conflicts, against the British during the Malvinas war, and locally during the “Dirty War” years.
I’ve never, EVER heard of anyone complaining about the 308 performance, which is still used by our Military, with the FAL. Quite the contrary, the 308 has a long history of efficiency, and the FAL along with the 308 cartridge it fires has embedded fear and respect on men on both ends of the barrel.
Whenever someone points out that 223 is not allowed for hunting deer, they claim “Comparing deer to men is like comparing apples to oranges” I cant help but think “Right, the deer wont be shooting back at me!”
Should the USAF go back to 308?
Heck, I don’t know, they already issue 308 to the designated shooters who are the ones doing the accurate shooting, while 223 is used as suppressive fire.
Besides, today’s army is a mass of different people, big and small, male and female, recoil sensitive and even people that never shot a gun before. They need a light, small round with little recoil. But understanding the need of modern armies does not mean that we should buy that BS about 223 being better than the 308. That’s out right stupidity, and I can’t help but think there are those that want to urinate over our heads and tells us it’s raining due to a political agenda.
They worship fragmentation as if it were the greatest invention since sliced bread, and bash the 308 claiming it will only drill a .30 hole on the human body with no other effect. BS.
Anyone saw the graphics comparing the wound patter of the 223 to the 308? The ones with the “detach muscle” remarks?
Check the inch ruler below and you’ll see they are not in the same scale. The 308 graphic is reduced. Take the time to set them both on the same scale and you’ll see how puny the 223 cavity compares to the 308.
Again, both rounds are capable, it’s just that the 308 is “more” capable than the 223, and stating that you should double tap with it does not make me feel much better.
Personally, I choose a FM FAL PARA carbine in 308. I like the bigger is better concept and the ability to turn cover into concealment, shooting through trees, cars, blowing big chunks out of walls.

FerFAL

ddelange

FerFal,
I respect your opinion, and you'll do just fine with an FAL in .308 with civillian premium ammunition. However, so much of your post contains factual inaccuracies, that I only have time to address a few.

Fact, if I can choose a soft point ballistic tip .308 bullet, it will cause a larger permanent wound cavity than 5.56mm FMJ. However, because of the rediculous Hague Convention rule outlawing HP's or softpoint bullets that deform (in an attempt to make war more civilized?), our military must choose FMJ bullets. And when comparing what I keep in my M4 mags, good old 55 gr M193 FMJ .556mm NATO, to 7.62 FMJ, .556mm NATO creates a larger permanent wound cavity, more tissue damage, which all cause the enemy to bleed out faster than 7.62mm FMJ. Note, this is all premised on the requirement of military forces to use FMJ. I agree that for law enforcement use, or civillian use, you can mate any number of bullets that will cause an enemy to bleed out faster than 5.56mm FMJ, but not by enough to cause me to carry a rifle that's about twice as heavy than my M4, and reduces the amount of ammunition I can carry.

As far as the magic energy being pumped into the target, and causing a psychic incapacitation theory. . . well, that theory has been repeatedly debunked by reputable ballistic forensic scientists. There is no evidence to support it whatsoever; start your reading with Martin Fackler. You stop bad guys with bullets by reducing their blood pressure to the point where they can no longer act, period. The ignorance of this fact is what causes some soldiers and LEO's to act surprised when one or two shots COM don't immediately drop a BG/enemy, or throw them 5 feet across the room like we see in Hollywood shoot em up movies. I had the chance to see an in house ATF video that interviewed scores of officers to drive the point home that BG's usually don't stop fighting back after the first, or second, or third shot. The ATF wanted to send the message to its officers that they must continue to shoot, and move to cover, until the BG is stopped, ie, drops because of blood loss.

FerFAL

Ddelange wrote:
FerFal,
I respect your opinion, and you'll do just fine with an FAL in .308 with civillian premium ammunition.
I’ll do just fine with FMJ as well. Just as all those good old boys that fought with Garands using 30-06 which is the 308 ballistic twin did ok. Just as anyone that wielded a FAL in combat did ok. Just as American Designated Shooters are doing ok with their M14.
Those M14s shoot 308, right? Because according to you, 223 is superior. That’s kind of strange. Isn’t it? Why would anyone give a Designated Shooter or even a sniper an inferior caliber?
Ddelange wrote:
I agree that for law enforcement use, or civillian use, you can mate any number of bullets that will cause an enemy to bleed out faster than 5.56mm FMJ, but not by enough to cause me to carry a rifle that's about twice as heavy than my M4, and reduces the amount of ammunition I can carry.
You’ll do just fine with 223, just keep on shooting until those vicious gelatin blocks go down. :D
Ddelange wrote:
As far as the magic energy being pumped into the target, and causing a psychic incapacitation theory. . .
No magic there, 308 does have twice the amount of energy and twice the amount of frontal area, generally speaking.
There is the small issue about 308 and 30-06 having a much better record than 223. Many, (I’d say most, but I’ll settle for many) soldiers using 223 have bad things to say about it. I’ve never heard anyone complaining about the performance of FMJ 308. As I stated before, this round was used a lot in my country and is still used today, and everyone agrees it is very capable. People on other countries seem to have the same opinion about the efficiency of the 308.
Ddelange wrote:
that theory has been repeatedly debunked by reputable ballistic forensic scientists.
….ookkk… well, those forensic scientists you talk about should have a long talk with every single defensive ammo manufacturer, since all of them, from Federal and Whinchester to Cor Bon and Gold Dot, use this same theory to design their expanding bullets. But you favor fragmentation bullets, which have been debunked by all police departments, and most defensive ammo engineers. You know, the theory of a greater are, thanks to expansion, transferring energy better into the target? You never heard that before? :confused:
Ddelange wrote:
There is no evidence to support it whatsoever; start your reading with Martin Fackler.
Fackler? The guy that wants us to believe that 308 drills a .30 hole into people and only old German 7, 62 ammo worked, because it fragments?
I don’t have to ask Fackler, I already have people dropping dead on daily basis by 9mm 124 gr.FMJ in my city, and occasionally a kidnapper or bank robber gang use FALs, and when they put one of those 308 to use( oh, yes, FMJ :) ) they leave a pretty big mess behind. So forgive me for doubting Facklers claims, and believing he has an agenda to follow. I prefer REAL WORLD accounts, like the ones we witness here, and like the ones soldiers on Iraq experience, complaining about the inefficiency of the 223.
Ddelange wrote:
I had the chance to see an in house ATF video that interviewed scores of officers to drive the point home that BG's usually don't stop fighting back after the first, or second, or third shot.
We can agree on no round being perfect, and not counting on one shot stops. Keep on shooting until the target goes down. But I wont agree on 223 being a better stopper than 308 any more than I’ll agree on 9mm ball being better than 45 ACP ball.
You are completely wrong on your “You stop bad guys with bullets by reducing their blood pressure to the point where they can no longer act, period.”
May I ask, where did you come up with that? I’ve been regular to many forums and it’s the first time I hear someone claiming that. You seem to be mixing up things with knife fighting, where more often than not, the fight stops only after blood loss causes one of the fighters to loose consciousness.
I know a guy (gun shop owner) that shot two attackers with a .45, loaded with .45 hardball. He hit one of the guys on the torso (went down) and the other one on the shoulder, right on the socket articulation. The guy dropped like a sack of potatoes, and even though he survived, the arm had to be amputated.
Did you ever hit yourself on the elbow? Right there where it sends a wave of pain through the arm? Well, now imagine getting SHOT through that same nerve with 45 ACP. This incident alone proves your “You stop bad guys with bullets by reducing their blood pressure to the point where they can no longer act, period.” statement is simply wrong.
Not to mention many other cases, thousands of cases world wide where people where disabled for other reasons than “blood pressure”.
It’s impossible to predict what happens one a bullet enters a body. Gelatin is only useful to compare expansion of bullets under similar, homogeneous environments. Nothing more. You can’t know if your round will hit a main nerve and knock the lights out on a guy like the case I wrote about above, or if the bullet will go through two ribs just puncturing a lung. Or if the 308 bullet will hit half an inch above, blasting the ribs, the bone pieces acting like shrapnel and blowing chunks of bone all over the torso, making a terrible mess.
There is a guy living in USA that survived an execution in Argentina during the “Dirty War”.
He got shot with a 308 through the face. The round went through his upper lip, just under the nose, blowing off his teeth and upper mouth (so much for .30 holes…:rolleyes: ). The bullet went through the head, skipped around the spinal cord and exited through the back of the neck.
Anyone wants to try getting shot in the face with a 308 at point blank? ..Anyone? …The guy doesn’t even look that bad, after several plastic surgeries, of course.
Does this mean that 308 is useless? Or just that you can’t predict what God has planned for you?
Meanwhile people die everyday, shot with 22LR.
You can’t know what’s going to happen.
All you can do is aim for center of mass ( or two to the chest and one to the head if you fancy 2+1 drills ) with the biggest round you can skillfully use and shoot as many times as required.
Period.

FerFAL

ddelange

FerFal,
If you want an actual soldier's experiences with both the M4 and M14, go to the "CBS News questions stopping power of 5.56" thread in the ART OF THE RIFLE Forum and read Demon5Romeo's post on page 4.

The rest of your post is so discombobulated that I also direct you to the posts I've made in that thread, which should answer the splattering of attacks you directed at my opinions and conclusions.

ddelange

FerFal,
Sorry, but I must reply directly to one of your statements:

You are completely wrong on your “You stop bad guys with bullets by reducing their blood pressure to the point where they can no longer act, period.”
May I ask, where did you come up with that?

It is a doctrine that is so well accepted among armed forces trainers, LEO trainers, and actual scientists who conduct terminal ballistics research on not just gelatin blocks, but actual bodies and autopsies. I don't have enough space to list every U.S. LEA that accepts this doctrine, the IWBA, as well as scores of other experts, from ER trauma surgeons, to coroners, to anyone who can conduct meaningful research on the topic. Absent a brain/CNS hit, blood loss is the only sure way to stop/kill an attacker, period.

FerFAL

I could post a link to Marines I respect, and have just returned from their tour in Iraq, and think 5,56 is a piece of crap, but what’s the point?
Besides, Iraq isn’t the only place where people are getting shot at, I don’t live in Beverly Hills you know? :) and I’m quite confident of what I know.
Lets just agree on disagreeing.

FerFAL

ddelange

FerFal,
In my first reply to one of your posts, I began with:

FerFal,
I respect your opinion

You state that let's just "agree to disagree." That's fine, but I don't think we're disagreeing as much as you think, except on one issue that I replied to above about blood loss, or brain/CNS hit, being the only sure method of stopping/killing an enemy.

If you want to leave it at that ("agree to disagree") then godspeed and disregard the following:

Everyone comes to the debate table with their own life experience, what firearms they own/use, and what research the person has done, etc. It provides a framework, and sometimes a bias, for the opinions we all hold. I openly confess that I own and train with a Colt M4, and load my mags with the good ol original 5.56mm NATO FMJ 55gr M193. I made the decision to go with this package after researching other platforms/calibers, speaking with professional operators (soldiers and SWAT LEO's), and conducting a lot of research. In the end the decision came down to what is best for me: a light weight, versatile platform that allows me to effectively defend my home in close quarters if necessary, or carry more ammunition in the field if necessary, while delivering a bullet that has proven its effective lethality time and time again ever since the bugs were worked out of it after the early years in Vietnam.

Mike40-11

I'm not a expert, just a gun, ah, "enthusiast", but with 19 years in (6 more months til my letter) the Army, I can tell you this. Most joes are not firearm or ballistics experts and most joes aren't fantastic shots, not bad, just okay.

Most joes are also fairly young kids whose knowledge of weapons has been largely formed by movies and videogames and they want to know why their stupid M4 doesn't throw people around like the the Deagle in Grand Theft Auto. Yes, they know that's a game and it doesn't really work that way but they still expect more than real weapons deliver.

Unfortunately, firearms training in the military has been greatly reduced and/or simplified since the "old days". Most soldiers don't do much shooting beyond required qualifications. Although, they are beginning to put more emphasis on marksmanship training now. Hope it continues.

I believe most (I said most, not all, relax:rolleyes: ) of the complaints against the 5.56 are due to unrealistic expectations. Now the 'ol Ma Deuce, yeah, THAT'S what a gun's supposed to do.

FerFAL

I also gave a long, serious thought to my home defensive needs.
I wont be going into the “field” unless everything goes to hell in a basket. Things are complicated right now, they have been ever since the 2001 crisis. But, until know, your are better of staying in the city, though watching your back 24/7, (sleep with one eyed opened ; ).
My first line of defense is my Glock 31 (357 SIG) loaded with Gold Dot.
That’s the gun I grab first, my primary weapon. I also have a 357 revolver hidden on the ground level just, in case I can’t get upstairs.
An M4 sounds perfect for home defense, except that I wouldn’t feel as comfortable with a long barrel. Though unlikely, someone may grab it around a corner and would have enough leverage to put you in a tight spot. It’s unlikely, but it has happened before. Remember that LEOs and A.F.F. in general work as a team. If a suspect grabs the barrel of the M4 of one of the team members, the one next to him simply puts a few rounds into him and that’s that.
Maybe if you have a really big place, but for inside work I’d like something smaller.
That’s why I favor 9mm SMGs.
fmkx20xe.jpg

My FMK3 9mm is the gun I go for if I have enough time. It has a red dot scope mounted and it’s loaded with +P Gold Dot. I also keep more magazines (all 40 rounders) loaded with EMD rounds.
I also keep BA ready, and wear it if I have enough time. (You should consider BA, if you don’t have some already)
The 14 inch Mosbberg 500 is also kept handy, but it’s reserved for situations that, even though dangerous, may be solved with less than lethal rounds, or I know there is only one attacker how has clearly revealed its position. Using the Shotgun will save me all the SMG “explanations” as it’s a more PC gun to use for defense. I keep Federal Buck on the tube, right behind a first round of buckshot. I leave a “hole” on the tube and an empty chamber as well as a stock shell holder loaded with LTL, Slugs and more buckshot.
The FAL is reserved for even worse cases, such as an attack by looters or rioters ( happened a lot right after the 2001 crisis) where they may shoot from the street, taking cover behind cars, trees and low walls. The 308 will effectively turn cover into concealment.
dsc00257bbc9uh.jpg

So far I only had to use guns to defend myself in a couple of occasions, and thank God the mere presence of the gun was enough to discourage the intruder and the would be car jacker.
Sorry for the thread hijack, got carried away. :)
Edited to add: The SMG advantage over a carbine inside a house is that it is very hard for an attacker to grab the short barrel, there is not much to grab and no leverage. If he even tried to grab it, simply shoving your shoulder and pulling back the weapon would be enough for a nice gut burst.
FerFAL

U.S.SFC_RET

JR47
No offense to you and none taken but why do you believe that the U.S. Army infantry branch is Lowly? Do you realise that is an extensive MOS to follow and adhere to. The Brightest Army Officers from West Point go into this branch. Infantry is considered the Tooth as Support is considered the tail of the Army. Believe what you want to sir after all it is free country due to it's infantry soldiers.
5.56 has found it's place in war but there is more than a few types of rounds that are issued in the military. Get issued the wrong one and you can lose accuracy past 150 meters. Get issued Armor piercing and you will shoot a half dozen through an insurgent who's left standing.
IMHO The military should issue a three round burst 7.62 nato selective fire that looks and acts like an M4. Instill a little fire discipline in the troops and you've got a crapfull of firepower.

pickpocket

FerFAL said:
I could post a link to Marines I respect, and have just returned from their tour in Iraq, and think 5,56 is a piece of crap, but what’s the point?
It is the nature of the grunt to complain. However, I have yet to come across a single infantry troop who has given a concise reason for their complaint, or anything more than what they "think" they remember during a confrontation; because I promise you, what actually happened and what you "think" happens are very often different things.

FerFAL said:
Did you ever hit yourself on the elbow? Right there where it sends a wave of pain through the arm? Well, now imagine getting SHOT through that same nerve with 45 ACP. This incident alone proves your “You stop bad guys with bullets by reducing their blood pressure to the point where they can no longer act, period.” statement is simply wrong.
Not to mention many other cases, thousands of cases world wide where people where disabled for other reasons than “blood pressure”.
There are only two ways to gurantee that someone will stop: loss of blood and IMMEDIATE CESSATION of the THOUGHT PROCESS. You want to bet your life that every person you ever shoot is going to react the same way to pain?

FerFAL said:
I prefer REAL WORLD accounts, like the ones we witness here, and like the ones soldiers on Iraq experience, complaining about the inefficiency of the 223.
As far as REAL WORLD accounts - the 5.56 kills people just fine. If you gave me a .308 battle-rifle I would find something that I didn't like about that as well. Take the complaints with a grain of salt.

FerFAL said:
You are forgetting one important factor: The importance of temporary cavity.
The temporary shock cavity made by the 308 is MUCH bigger than the one made by the 223....
...The reason behind the lack of popularity of fragmentation rounds is that the energy used up on fragmentation on the 223 round is energy that it is not being transferred into the target....
...IMO, a larger temporary cavity is MUCH better than a small permanent cavity, since the shock overloads the nervous system, creating the shock required to put the target down at once...
Temporary cavity as a factor in injury is at best unreliable. At worst, it is a MYTH. Most of your soft tissue is elastic in nature, and will stretch to accomodate...well...stretching. Since it is physically impossible for a "cavity" to contain anything, there is no REAL damage caused by the temporary cavity. This has been accepted by all save the ignorant and the stubborn.
It is the PERMANENT cavity that does damage...the CRUSHING effect of the round as it DESTROYS tissue, not displaces it.
The only time "temporary cavity" really comes into play is when the round travels through non-elastic tissue...say, a kidney.

BlueTrain said:
That's sort of like saying law enforcement officers should always shoot to wound by hitting the shoulder ("flesh wound") so you could stop them and not have to kill the. That's what Elmer Keith recommended. Of course, he was a better shot than I am.
Actually, you'd be surprised how much of our tactics and weapons-systems were designed for just that. In the right situation we will choose to severely injure rather than outright kill. Our rule of thumb is that it takes 7 able-bodied troops to care for every 1 wounded troop. Not that it's our standard for every action taken, but we DO think this way.
We don't wound so that we don't have to kill - we wound because not only does it take more people to deal with a wound than a death, but because it's nice to make your enemy sit there and listen to his friend moan and cry and scream.
Can't compare military operations to LE - apples and oranges.

44 AMP said:
We have also de-emphasized the marksmanship of the individual soldier. We now have specialists for that.
I have to disagree. The USMC spends MUCH of its time with its infantry troops training marksmanship. In fact, our yearly qualifying rifle COF takes us out to 500m with iron sights on an M16 on a man-sized target. That's 500 METERS - longer than most people would attempt with a scoped .308
We have specialists because they have specialized gear and they provide a special function and fill a special requirement; not because we don't focus on marksmanship. Our "specialists" - or Scout/Snipers - take marksmanship to an art form, something that standard infantry has neither the time, resources, equipment, or mission requirements to attempt.

44 AMP said:
Personally, I never thought it was a good idea to send us to war with a "rifle" that isn't even legal for deer hunting in most of the United States.
It kills people just fine. I promise.

johnsonrlp said:
A modern day infantry squad should have versatility.

You mean like:
Qty: 3 (40mm grenade launchers - M203)
Qty: 3 (5.56 light-machine guns - M249SAW)
Qty: 10 (5.56 rifles - M16/M4)

And that's just according to our T/O (Table of Organization). In addition to that, we're carrying the following equipment as part of our standard combat load:

Qty: 3 (9mm pistol - M9 Baretta)
Qty: 2 (84mm Anti-tank missile - AT4)
Qty: 15 (Frag grenades)
Qty: 5 (sticks of C-4)
Qty: 1 (7.62 medium machine gun, mounted - M240G)
Qty: 1 (.50 cal heavy maching gun, mounted - M2)
Qty: 15 (40mm non-lethals)
Qty: 10 (non-lethal grenades)

Add to that the stuff we can call upon in an emergency:
Mk19 40mm automatic grenade launchers, mounted
Cobra attack helos
CH-46 transport helos
Fixed-wing assets (if on station and approved)

Not trying to be argumentative, just saying that our modern infantry squad is one of the most versatile combat
elements in existence.

U.S.SFC_RET said:
IMHO The military should issue a three round burst 7.62 nato selective fire that looks and acts like an M4. Instill a little fire discipline in the troops and you've got a crapfull of firepower.
Amen.

ddelange

An M4 sounds perfect for home defense, except that I wouldn’t feel as comfortable with a long barrel. Though unlikely, someone may grab it around a corner and would have enough leverage to put you in a tight spot.

That's why I took a carbine course, where we went into depth regarding weapon retention. First of all, I was trained not to stick it around a corner for the precise reason that you mention. When approaching a corner, you keep a carbine tightly against your shoulder at the low ready, but not exposed to anyone who might be around the corner. You pie the corner with outside eye as slowly as you can, depending on the circumstances (sometimes you have to go dynamic to get to where you nee to go). So, after any reputablecourse in Carbines/CQB, you should learn the skills for weapon retention of a an M4 or other similar carbines.

As far as 9mm SMG's without a stock, they aren't nearly as accurate or ballistically effective. The trend throughout many special forces teams and in the U.S., SWAT teams, is to retire the 9mm H&K MP-5 and move toward carbines like the M4; the emergence of the SIG 556 5.56mm Carbine should make the marketplace even more competitive.