5.56mm called a "worthless round"

ddelange

My original post got lost when the staff attempted to merge it with another post. My fault.
I can't remember everything I said preceding my pasting of part of a report by CBS News that claims we are issuing our troops "worthless ammo." As a proud owner of a Colt M4, I am confident that with the correct combination of the right anti-personnel bullet with the 5.56mm cartridge, it is the most lethal rifle/carbine for our soldiers, and for homestead-defenders. The complaints of the Marines should probably be directed to the types of bullets they are being issued; most likely green tip tungsten armor piercing rounds (which don't fragment and cause as much blood loss as other bullets designed for the 5.56mm cartridge). The 5.56mm NATO has a long history of doing the job against armed soldiers better than any other cartridge. Throw in the facts that the 5.56mm allows soldiers to carry a lighter weapon and about 3 times more ammunition than a soldier humping around with 7.62mm and the conclusion to adopt and continue to use 5.56mm NATO for more than 30 years has proven to be the correct one. But be your own judge, and add your two, or more, cents. Below is an excerpt from the CBS report. You can find the full story at CBS.com, and navigate to their news section.

FROM CBS.COM:

(CBS) As American troop casualties in Iraq continue to mount, concern is growing they may be outgunned. That includes new questions about the stopping power of the ammunition that is used by the standard-issue M-16 rifle.

Shortly after the U.N. headquarters was bombed in Baghdad in August 2003, a Special Forces unit went to Ramadi to capture those responsible.

In a fierce exchange of gunfire, one insurgent was hit seven times by 5.56 mm bullets, reports CBS News chief investigative correspondent Armen Keteyian. It took a shot to the head with a pistol to finally bring him down. But before he died, he killed two U.S. soldiers and wounded seven more.

"The lack of the lethality of that bullet has caused United States soldiers to die," says Maj. Anthony Milavic.

Milavic is a retired Marine major who saw three tours of duty in Vietnam. He says the small-caliber 5.56, essentially a .22-caliber civilian bullet, is far better suited for shooting squirrels than the enemy, and contends that urban warfare in Iraq demands a bigger bullet. "A bullet that knocks the man down with one shot," he says. "And keeps him down."

Milavic is not alone. In a confidential report to Congress last year, active Marine commanders complained that: "5.56 was the most worthless round," "we were shooting them five times or so," and "torso shots were not lethal."

In last week's Marine Corps Times, a squad leader said his Marines carried and used "found" enemy AK-47s because that weapon's 7.62 mm bullets packed "more stopping power."

Bruce Jones is a mechanical engineer who helped design artillery, rifles and pistols for the Marines.

"I saw the tests that clearly showed how miserable the bullets really were in performance," he says. "But that's what we're arming our troops with. It's horrible, you know, it's unconscionable."

To demonstrate to CBS News, Jones fired the larger-caliber 7.62 bullet fired by AK-47s used by insurgents in Iraq into a block of glycerin. The hole cavity is 50 percent or more larger than that of the 5.56.

"You can't just go out and, you know, rig up a little block of Jello and shoot at it and prove anything," says Pierre Sprey, a former Pentagon weapons expert.

Since the early days of the Vietnam War, Sprey has been a champion of the 5.56, and believes it both lethal and light.

"The brilliant thing about that bullet is that it allowed the infantrymen to easily carry 300 rounds," Sprey says. "Whereas the old sharpshooter's heavy, slow round — he could only carry 100."

People have been saying this for years. BTW since when did CBS produce anything anyone gave a crap about? Since the whol bush memo thing CBS is pretty much a castrated news service when it comes to credibility.

SW

rhgunguy

Milavic is a retired Marine major who saw three tours of duty in Vietnam. He says the small-caliber 5.56, essentially a .22-caliber civilian bullet, is far better suited for shooting squirrels than the enemy, and contends that urban warfare in Iraq demands a bigger bullet. "A bullet that knocks the man down with one shot," he says. "And keeps him down."

Knocking down an enemy is movie crap. A Marine Major should know that. The .223 is not perfect, but it is better than a civilian .22

ddelange

yes, CBS News sucks

I agree with Silicon's comment regarding CBS, but there are some old time Marines that still hold on to the sometimes mistaken belief that bigger is better for the ordinary rifleman. They also bemoan the fact that they can't carry their 1911 .45's and BAR's. 9mm and 5.56mm have been doing the job worldwide for half a century, and are not even questioned as effective cartridges among our allies, except in the U.S. In fact, after extensive ballistics testing, the Russians reached the same decision, and now issue their soldiers AK 74's in 5.56mm. The AK 47's are cold war relics sold to arms dealers who have distributed them to countless lawless 3rd world countries and terrorists worldwide.

ddelange

PHP:
Knocking down an enemy is movie crap. A Marine Major should know that.

It's amazing to see that the Hollywood myth of knocking an enemy down with one shot continues to pervade certain military officers. It's downright impossible and would violate the laws of physics. The only way to drop an enemy is a shot to the medula omblangata (sp?) in the brain, or the central nervous system. One shot to the torso merely destroys vital organs or arteries that cause the enemy to start bleeding out. After a direct hit to the heart, an enemy can have enough blood pressure in his system for purposeful action (continue shooting at you) for up to 15 seconds. Wyatt Earp called it the "dead man's seven seconds." How do I know this? I use to defend police officers in alleged excessive force/shooting cases. Plaintiffs always chant the mantra that the more bullets used against the attacker equals more unnecessary/excessive force. It's crap, but can sometimes be used to fool a jury if they are not educated in terminal ballistics. So when you hear that an LEO emptied his Glock 17 at the suspect who was attempting to attack him with a gun or knife, don't be so quick to judge the LEO, who was acting under the stress of the moment and following the wise advise to continue shooting untill the attacker is STOPPED. Enough said. . . .

"The lack of the lethality of that bullet has caused United States soldiers to die," says Maj. Anthony Milavic.

Every round has advantages and disadvantages and lethality issues have caused US soldiers to die in every war. Want to be sure about lethality, give every soldier a Barrett M107 and 200 rounds to carry. They won't be able to move fast or far with one, but that isn't the issue, is it? It is all about lethality.

Apparently, the Major miss physics. No round knocks you down and none camp out on top of you to hold you down.

In a fierce exchange of gunfire, one insurgent was hit seven times by 5.56 mm bullets, reports CBS News chief investigative correspondent Armen Keteyian. It took a shot to the head with a pistol to finally bring him down.

Apparently, they weren't shooting at his head with rifles?

So Marines are picking up AK47s because of more stopping power? Obviously they are not picking up the guns for longer range fighting or anything requiring precision shooting beyond a couple hundred yards. The AK47 and its round does have advanages, but disadvantages as well.

44 AMP

Staff
What goes around....

So now, here we are again, debating whether the .223 (5.56mm) is the "right" round for our troops.

I'm not going to argue with those who believe in the 5.56mm. But I do wonder why the troops on the sharp end are complaining about failure.

The M16 round did not have a good reputation for close range stopping power in Vietnam. Today we use a heavier bullet, fired from a shorter barrel, for even less velocity. And some people expect it to work better?

I also have to question the math of the "former Pentagon weapons expert".
the weight ratio between 5.56mm and 7.62mm(Nato) is 2 to 1. NOT 3 to 1.
perhaps that is why he is a former pentagon weapons expert.

I defer the rest of my comments to my signature line. For now.

BillCA

Ahem...

ddelange said:
The 5.56mm NATO has a long history of doing the job against armed soldiers better than any other cartridge.

Cite please?

While I like the 5.56mm cartridge and think it has certain advantages, I know several people who used it in combat and found it wanting when compared to the .308 round. This was especially true in Vietnam. Reports from the sandbox indicate that troops often have to score multiple hits to put an enemy out of action. The same could be said for any poorly place shot, regardless of caliber. This is one reason the 6.8 caliber rounds exist.

I'd prefer the 7.62 rifle in a combat area personally.

BlueTrain

The .223 was developed specifically for the AR-15, which was developed from the .222. The performance requirements of the ammuntion were increased, so the slightly more powerful round was developed.

More to the point, however, is that soldiers complained about the drop in stopping power when the .45-70 was adopted, having formerly used the .50-70. The wheel has turned a full circle now and you can now buy an AR-15 chambered in at least one .50 caliber round, which should have ballistics not to far off the .50-70, though I have hardly done any in-depth research on the subject. There was even an experimental round of similar dimensions developed by Barnes, the man who wrote the book about cartridges, and tried out in Vietnam.

orionengnr

someone call The Bradys and Hillary

and tell the that the AWB was misguided!

Turns out those 223-spitting Assault Rifles on every corner of every street of the USA are really harmless! :rolleyes:

Mikeyboy

If Kerry was not in office, CBS would have never ran the story. And I am not even a big fan of Bush, and Fox can be right slanting too. 6 in one Half Dozen in the other, If we switched to AK-47s then people would complain that you lose accuracy compared to the m-16 & M4. I bet if the military said they were switching calibers back to 7.62, to 6.5, or something, CBS news would run a story that the goverment was wasting money on a caliber change.

Oh and your not eating a squirrel after you shot it with a .223 rounds, unless your making soup with what little is left.

buzz_knox

A brief history of weapons and the soldiers who carried them.

10,000 B.C. Og is issued a certain size of rock. Og complains that the rock is smaller than the rock his grandfather carried (which his grandfather swore could kill a mammoth with a single blow). Although he can throw it more accurately and with greater repetition, and can carry more rocks than his grandfather, he wants a rock that will hit harder. Og goes into combat and crushes Morg's skull with an accurate throw of the rock. He still complains that the rock is too small.

5,000 B.C. M'Kele is issued a spear. M'Kele complains that the spear is shorter than his grandfather's (which is grandfather swore could pierce three men with a single thrust. This was before the invention of the innuendo so M'Kele didn't snicker). Although he can wield it more easily, he wants one with a further reach. M'Kele goes into combat and kills T'l'bo'goochigochigoo with an accurate thrust. He still complains the spear is too short.

1 B.C. Whinus Littleus is issued a sword. He complains the sword is lighter and shorter than his grandfather's (which his grandfather swore could cut a man in half with a single stroke). Although he can wield it more easily and the length is perfect for the quick stabs that the Roman Army has found work most effectively, he wants a bigger one. Whinus Littleus goes into combat and kills the Barbarian Ogor with a series of quick, accurate thrusts. He still complains the sword is too short.

2003 A.D. Private Bernie Humparuck is issued an M4. He complains that it's smaller than the M1 his grandfather carried (which his grandfather swore enabled him to kill every German in Normandy, in or out of a tank). Although more easily wielded than an M1 due to superior ergonomics, he still wants the M1. Humparuck goes into combat and kills the bad guys with head shots. He still complains the 5.56 is too small.

Glenn E. Meyer

Obviously, we should all read the excellent article in SWAT in the issue!!

About knockdowns - the NRA sent me this tape trying to get me to give them more money. In it there was a description of the 45 ACP which KNOCKED men down!

JR47

Interesting. So far, the consensus is that the young men who complain about multiple torso hits to stop an enemy (not necessarily to kill him) are being tranformed into "older" marines who long for WWII weapons. Or, the story is somehow faulty due to the network airing it. Then we get to the fact that it's all political, and yet another way to ambush the Administration.Or, we attack a Marine Major for his choice of words. The "knock them down" reference was obviously made due to the words used by those Marines who complain. To the general public, they convey exactly what he wanted to say. Get a grip.

Next, we have people saying that the soldiers should be taking head shots. Obviously, this is the result of REMF experiences. Head shots aren't taught to the Infantry, center of mass is. At several hundred feet, the head is a small, constantly moving, target. The Marine Rifleman's Manual is available on-line, it's a good read, try it.

All in all, the phrase "M16 apologist" comes readily to mind.:)

And who could ever argue with anything the NRA says?

Nobody is going to be happy. You give them bigger ammo and they complain because they can't carry as much and what they do carry is too heavy. Go figure.

No one ammo or platform works best for all situations. Try clearing small European streets, houses, rooms with a Garand. Try clearing Vietnamese tunnels with a full-sized AR15. Try shooting long range consistently and effectively with an AK47.

I have to wonder if maybe those complaining about the 5.56 would rather go back to the M1 carbine in .30 cal. It wasn't a particularly long range round or a long range platform. It worked well for paratroopers and those serving in the jungles of Asia, the Pacific, and India. In Europe, many paratroopers chose to keep the little guns because of their flexibility of use because they could clear little European towns with them. It just boggles the mind that such a poor caliber compared to what the Garand was firing could be thought of so highly by those who carried the little carbine, and yet they did.

obiwan1

The .223 is fine......... WITH HOLLOW POINTS. .223 FMJ sucks in a combat environment. If I (as a civilian) were stuck with a .223 HP, I wouldn't feel underarmed at all. As I sit here thinking about hurricane survival, an M4 loaded with HP ammo would be VERY comforting. So is my AK in 7.62. :D

JR47

Double-Nought, why would you decide to pick the .30 Carbine round? Other than the fact that you know it was intended to replace a pistol round? Get real.

Nobody was implying that "one size fits all". Besides, the comparisons you provide are about the platforms carried, not about the calibers used.

The people on the sharp end are again asking for a better caliber than the 5.56. It's not hard to understand. Given the limitations that we go into battle with, a larger caliber makes a bigger hole. Hunters over the years have found that through penetration is best, and that the bigger the hole, the faster the animal is incapacitated. Using FMJ, that's pretty much the way it works in the field.

It's amazing that the people here can't seem to wrap their minds around the fact that our soldiers are there, and they know what they face. We're not, and the excuse making sounds ominously like the original M16 debate. You remember, the one where the people were to blame for the huge failure rates of the weapons in Vietnam. 40+ years later, the truth is shown to have been that the men were right, and the REMFs were wrong. Let's hope that it isn't the same today. :)

support_six

JR47, I suppose you'v polled all the soldiers in the desert? Read:

SKS, 7.62 - the best gun and caliber combo for the money ( 1 2 3 4 5) thread on the "The Art of the Rifle" forum. It seems a few "users" have disputed your "findings" on the value of the 5.56mm.