5.56 Powder Question

9MMand223only

UncleNick is right, if he wants to get close to military loads, he wants H335. Another one similar is AA2230. Either way, you want around 25.0 grains of H335 with a 55 FMJ, and that is close.

Viper225

Another Shooters World Powder is Tactical Rifle. At the moment Shooters World Powders are the most economical to buy.

Bob R

totaldla

The Lee Collet Die is a neck-size-only die. Neck sizing is generally considered a bad idea for self-loaders. The odds of getting a slamfire or a failure to feet increase considerably. However, the Lee die produces neck runout that is as low as it gets, so what a number of us do is use it for the case neck and use a Redding Body Die for the case body (it doesn't touch the neck) to get a shoulder a couple of thousandths (some use more) shorter than as-ejected. It's two-step resizing but makes for very concentric cases. There is, at a higher cost, a small-base version of the Redding die available, should your AR turn out to be one of the few that require small-base resizing to feed reliably (most don't).
No issue with slam fire in ARs.

akinswi

No issue with slam fire in ARs.
Yes , But the experiment I did with neck sizing .556 for an AR was a Jam every single time.
Cases were were so hard to extract , I had to sit my charging handle on the edge of a picnic table and hit it really hard to extract the case. Didnt matter if the cases were LC or PPU …

My advice…. Never neck size ever for an AR….

tangolima

Yes , But the experiment I did with neck sizing .556 for an AR was a Jam every single time.
Cases were were so hard to extract , I had to sit my charging handle on the edge of a picnic table and hit it really hard to extract the case. Didnt matter if the cases were LC or PPU …

Or any auto loader, semi or full.

Just any rifle.

-TL

Sent from my SM-N960U using Tapatalk

reynolds357

I think that is sound advice. Who even tries it?

lordvader

I normally use ball powders, either AA or Hodgdon, to load 223, but since I ran out a good while back. I have been using H4895. I had a lot of it so that is what I use.

jetinteriorguy

I neck size all my AR brass with a Lee Collet neck sizing die, but only after full length sizing the body with a Redding body only sizing die. This gives me runout consistently .0015” or less bullet runout. This is in .223, 7.62x39, and 6.5CM.

MarkCO

For 50 to 60 grain, AA2200 meters great and is relatively inexpensive. While the days of cheap surplus "Data 2200" are gone, still a great economical powder.

For over 60 grains, I switch to TAC. Also economical, but a bit better in the accuracy department.

reynolds357

All the powder I am seeing these days is $40 per pound. IMR, Hodgdon, Ramshot, Accurate, Alliant, all 40 a pound.
Lovex is $35. Vhitavuri and Norma $45.
I have no idea what "cheap" powder is now days.

tangolima

Anything less than $30 a pound is a deal nowadays. I monitored local gun fora. From time to time, I pick up very good deals.

The key for it to work is flexibility. If you insist on certain make and model, it is hard to have a good deal.

-TL

Sent from my SM-N960U using Tapatalk

Marco Califo

H335 / WC844 burns HOT

I have an 8 lb jug of WC844, and have used more than half of it. Firing a Savage Axis with a sporter weight barrel gave me a too hot to handle barrel before I finished 20 rounds. I upgraded to several Heavy & Threaded barrel Axis, and Savage model 10. That made the heat generated much more manageable. For information, the brass comes out very hot, too.
Gas guns have handguards for a reason.

hdwhit

Which military load are you trying to duplicate?

The original 55 grain bullet, or the 62 grain bullet?

What length barrel do you have? Most ARs sold today ave shorter barrels than the ones from the Vietnam War. You will need to match the powder to your bullet and your barrel length.

In 1979, I bought a Mini-14 with an 18 inch barrel. Since this was shorter than the barrel of the then-available AR-15 model, I knew I couldn't match the published 3300 fps from a 55 grain bullet, but I developed a 60 grain load that consistently reaches above 2800 fps.