4506 - School me

Quincunx

I have two of the compact version (4516-1). They are regulars in my carry rotation. Feels good in my hand, I find neither recoil nor muzzle flip to be problematic, and it converts to a handy bludgeoning weapon if ammo runs dry and things are too up close and personal. :)

G. Freeman

Under $400. Have 3 mags.

That's the deal of the century! Looks very new also. Had a 4506-1 that I foolishly sold after getting an action job from Novaks. That gun fed everything, even LSWC loads. For factory loads, make sure you use an 18.5 recoil spring that you can get from Wolff. For lighter loads, you can use a 16# spring.

Bisquitlips

I have to think that some .45s have to be enjoyed for their historical design.

Like the Smith 645. It's an ugly gun by today's standards, but I can remember carrying it into the boonies on many occasions and feeling safe and well protected. You have to love its solid feel and if you replace the grips with some Hogues or some walnut replacements the pistol becomes a favorite.

It is not a CCW gun, but more of a collector and leisurely shooter. A gun you can take to the range and enjoy both the target practice and the after range cleaning of every part. Just remember to kiss it on the lips before you put it in the safe and you will have a friend for life.

IMO the Smith 645 / 4506 is one of those guns that needs to be in every .45 ACP collection. If not for the history, at least for the stainless joy of a DA .45. And you absolutely gotta LOVE that orange front sight!

Smith 645:

SandW_645.JPG

Smith 4506:

dsc01464.jpg_thumbnail1.jpg

Jeff #111

Don Johnson carried the Bren Ten in seasons 1 and 2 of Miami Vice. He carried the Model 645 during seasons 3 and 4 and he carried the 4506 during season 5. In the pilot episode he carried the SIG-Sauer P220 and when he had his breakdown at the end of season 4 and beginning of 5 (he thought he really was a criminal) he switched to the P220.

He also carried the Detonics 45 pistol in an ankle holster as his backup.

Skans

You got a heck of a lot of gun for what you paid. These S&W semi-auto pistols are real sleepers in my opinion.

18DAI

I've never considered the 645 to be an ugly gun. ESPECIALLY by "..todays standards.." I consider it a very handsome 45. Well constructed and designed.

Ever seen an M&P or a Glock? ;)

czf

Pretty nice find for the price.

I've owned 3 (non M&Ps) S&W pistols.

Used model 59 , total junker..

new 645 shot like a champ.

Also, a Used 1076 that was very sweet but like with my SIGs,
I hated the de-cocker lever.

I've read a bit about the LAPD and others carrying the 4506, ect..

Duty loads back then ranged from 185 gr. Remington, to the infamous
SPEER 200 gr. Flying Ashcan JHP load.

(The same load I carried in my 1911 as a Deputy)

Always thought that they would deliver better stopping results,
but they generally got the job done.

Since I carried a issued 92FS Police Special for a number of years,
the flapper safety levers wouldn't bother me a bit.

Enjoy your new Smith .45!

BruceM

Don Johnson carried the Bren Ten in seasons 1 and 2 of Miami Vice. He carried the Model 645 during seasons 3 and 4 and he carried the 4506 during season 5. In the pilot episode he carried the SIG-Sauer P220 and when he had his breakdown at the end of season 4 and beginning of 5 (he thought he really was a criminal) he switched to the P220.

What most folks think was a Smith 4506 was actually a M645 transitional model. I have pic's from the collector who bought one of the blank firing Bren Tens (which, by the way is chambered for .45 ACP blanks) and the 4506 transitional model.

Along those same lines, for the first season and a half, Crockett wore a Ted Blocker Lifeline Rig before switching over to a Galco Jackass Rig. The Miami Classic didn't exist in the mid to late 1980's and the holster component for the Jackass Rig is noticeably different from that for the Miami Classic.

;)

Bruce