45 LC options

screwball said:
The New Vaquero can handle SAAMI specification loads for .45 Colt. If you need hotter rounds, go Blackhawk or Old Vaquero. Most people buying New Vaqueros are likely shooting standard .45 Colt loads or lower (Cowboy loads). The amount of people pushing .45 Colt to the limit is far from norm.
That's basically what I said ... but the OP said he wants a "cowboy" revolver, so that eliminates the Blackhawk. I like the Blackhawk ... enough that I have owned three of them. Two were the anniversary models, matching serial numbers in .357 Magnum and .44 Magnum. The one I have now is a .45 Colt/.45 ACP convertible. They're great revolvers ... but the adjustable target sight takes them out of the "cowboy" classification.

Yes, for shooting standard .45 Colt loads the new Vaquero will get the job done. But at that point you have a gun that's the same size as a Colt SAA, looks a lot like a Colt SAA, but doesn't work the same as a Colt SAA. Personally (please note), once beyond wanting the capability of handling Ruger-only loads in the Old Vaquero, I'd prefer a Pietta or Uberti clone because they are much more authentic in terms of lockwork and finish.

Personal preference only. YMMV.

Pathfinder45

I would have a genuine Colt if I thought I could afford one. But I am quite satisfied with my Vaquero. If I felt that I should get a 357, it would be a New Vaquero. I actually prefer the smoother fixed rear sight of the Vaquero over the adjustable Blackhawk. Of course, the Vaquero's front sight requires some doctoring to get it to what works well for me; but it was meant to be that way.

CajunBass

If it was me, I'd get a Uberti, if for no other reason that it has the proper number of "clicks" when you cock the hammer. That wouldn't matter if I planned to shoot it a lot, but I know I would fondle it a lot more than I'd shoot it, (from time to time) and I want to hear that "click, click, click, click"

Heavy handloads would not even be a blip on the radar.

I had a Colt not to long ago. Beautiful gun. Loved it, but I finally sold it because I wouldn't shoot it.

Last edited: