45 LC options

Django11

Hello everyone. I'm new on here and I'm looking for some advice on a stainless steel single action 45 LC(a cowboy gun if you will). I will shoot it here and there but its primary purpose will be as a collectors item. I would like to stay under $1000 but if there was something just right, I may pay a little more. I'm looking for price and options so any advice would be great. Thanks.

TruthTellers

I'd say Ruger Vaquero, perhaps and old model built on the Blackhawk frame that can take the "Ruger only" .45 Colt loads. Those aren't made anymore and may end up increasing in value over time.

Pathfinder45

For the time being, forget about collecting for a little while. Colt doesn't make a stainless single-action revolver that I am aware of. Get a Ruger Vaquero, either the original version, which is stronger, or the New Vaquero, which is actually a better version, though not as strong as the original Vaquero. And then shoot the daylights out of it to gain a better perspective for a future collectible revolver. So, redundantly, take your time on the collectible, but waste no time getting the shooter.

TruthTellers

^ He did say he wants a "Cowboy gun" and the Vaquero is much closer to being a true old style Western SA revolver than the Blackhawk is.

Not saying the Blackhawk is bad, just not as collectible or original.

Buzzcook

USFA revolvers are now relatively collectable. Not as much as older Colts.

Check out the market maybe you'll find something in your budget.

reddog81

$1,000 is kind of no mans land. You can either buy 2 shooters or 2/3's of something "collectible". If your looking for something as an investment a gun probably isn't a great option.

Are you looking for new or used? Buying anything new and shooting it is going to drop the value right away. Heck even walking out of the gun store door is going to drop the value 10% or more instantly.

I traded into an Uberti El Patron recently and really like it(I gave up a Blackhawk in .357). If I had to go buy a Single Action Army style gun in .45 tomorrow I'd pick the El Patron. The gun is a really close replica to the original and has a great trigger. I never could get into shooting the Blackhawk but throughly enjoy the El Patron. I believe they run about $600 new.

5whiskey

I second an older ruger vaquero for reasons given by truthtellers (the one that can handle ruger only 45 LC loads).

Django11

Thanks for the replies. This gun is not an investment. It is something I want to add to my collection. I have absolutely no plans of ever selling it. I like the vaquero a lot and that is what I was eyeballing before. Are there any other models that would compare that are worth looking into?

Screwball

Thanks for the replies. This gun is not an investment. It is something I want to add to my collection. I have absolutely no plans of ever selling it. I like the vaquero a lot and that is what I was eyeballing before. Are there any other models that would compare that are worth looking into?

I was looking for a similar pistol...

I went with a New Vaquero Convertible in .45. Handles normal .45 Colt loads, but if you want to shoot something cheaper... toss in a .45 ACP cylinder.

AAEA2B71-D142-443A-BC91-91F9A7A8299F_zpsspkwotpb.jpg

Was a polished 5.5" (Davidson's exclusive), but polished looks like butt if you don't keep up on it. I had it bead blasted, being I like the matte look. Very happy with how it turned out.

SaxonPig

You want stainless that reduces the choices to...one?

I like the real deal. But then I don't use them for competition.

standard.jpg

T. O'Heir

You won't get a Colt SAA for under a grand. Their new stuff isn't exactly collector grade either. Only vintage Colts are collector stuff. MSRP for a current SAA is $1599 and up.
MSRP on a Blued or SS Vaquero is $829.
Lotta the Blackhawk Convertible(MSRP: $749) are distributor's specials only. Lipsey's or Williams Shooters Supply.
Super Blackhawks are .44 Mag's(think .44 Special for playin' cowboys) and run $859 or $829 depending on barrel length.

Dane17

I have a ruger 45 convertible stainless bisley with black laminate grips.

Very fond of the gun and it can handle loads approaching 454 casull (rather unpleasant to shoot though with the wood grip ). I can't say I've ever used the 45 acp cylinder.

I would look at this gun if they still make it.

vba

You're not going to get Colt SAA for $1000 unless it is in poor shape.

Get a Ruger New Vaquero in SS. As far as I'm concerned it is the improved version of the Colt SAA.

Django11 said:
I like the vaquero a lot and that is what I was eyeballing before. Are there any other models that would compare that are worth looking into?
IMHO ... no. But I'm thinking of the "old" model Vaqueros, the ones built on the large frame and capable of handling "Ruger only" loads. For those, you have to buy used.

New? The new Vaquero is a nice pistol but it's the same size as the Colt and the Italian clones, so it's not recommended for "Ruger only" loads.

Screwball

IMHO ... no. But I'm thinking of the "old" model Vaqueros, the ones built on the large frame and capable of handling "Ruger only" loads. For those, you have to buy used.

New? The new Vaquero is a nice pistol but it's the same size as the Colt and the Italian clones, so it's not recommended for "Ruger only" loads.

I never understood why this is such a big thing that people talk about...

The New Vaquero can handle SAAMI specification loads for .45 Colt. If you need hotter rounds, go Blackhawk or Old Vaquero. Most people buying New Vaqueros are likely shooting standard .45 Colt loads or lower (Cowboy loads). The amount of people pushing .45 Colt to the limit is far from norm.

In regards to the OP's question, he stated it will be a part of his collection, and may shoot it here and there. With that being said, "Ruger only" loads aren't something I'd opt to consider with recommendations.

And for clarification (cause the internet sucks for showing tone of a post), Aguila Blanca, no disrespect implied towards you. ✌️

Hal

I like the Blackhawk.
'course, I reload so having just .45LC & no acp cylinder doesn't enter into things.

I also like the "mild to wild" aspect of the .45LC & wouldn't care to shed that any time soon.

Maybe if the right S&W M25 came along I'd sell the Blackhawk & get a real Colt & say goodbye to the "wild" loads.