45 colt

Hawg

Not quite the same thing. Magazines and clips can be different things. Or they can be two terms people apply to the same thing. .45 Long Colt vs. .45 Colt is always two different names applied to the same thing.
Calling a magazine a clip is two names for the same thing plus people have been calling them clips forever. Admit it, when somebody calls a mag a clip you know exactly what they're talking about. When somebody calls a .45 Colt a .45 Long Colt it's the same thing.

imp

.45 Long Colt vs. .45 Colt is always two different names applied to the same thing.

Which is why pedantic debates over useage is counter productive.

Back to the real topic. .45 colt is a lousy self defense caliber. Yes, I said it.

It might destroy more tissue than other rounds, but its size and weight do not allow for firearms that are easily concealed or carry decent quantities of ammunition.

I would much prefer 10 rounds of 9mm to 6 of .45, especially when the 9mm options are cheaper, lighter weight, flatter, easier to reload, etc...

44 AMP

Staff
but its size and weight do not allow for firearms that are easily concealed or carry decent quantities of ammunition.

And those are your criteria, so for you, its a lousy choice. For those of us with different criteria and priorities, its a fine round, and not lousy at all.

The OP wasn't asking about what was the best, practical round, or gun for defense, he HAS a .45 Colt Single action was asking what we thought of the round for defense.

being "easily concealable" and "carrying a decent quantity of ammunition" were not asked about.

To me, whether or not a round is good at its job is about what the round does when it hits its target. Not about the advantages or drawbacks of the gun its fired from. Those pros&cons are valid questions, but they are a different question.

The .45 Colt (or that rose by any other name) has been stopping two and 4 legged beasts since 1873 reliably enough that it is still made and used today.

Might not be your optimal choice, but that changes nothing about what the cartridge does, can do, and has been doing for 149 years and still going...

TunnelRat

The OP wasn't asking about what was the best, practical round, or gun for defense, he HAS a .45 Colt Single action was asking what we thought of the round for defense.

The critical point in this is “what WE thought”, meaning the members on this forum as a whole. The person to which you responded gave what he/she thought and why.

From my perspective this thread, naming convention debate aside, has often been you responding to people that didn’t have a positive impression of the 45 colt and explaining why they are wrong. I understand that you’re a fan of the cartridge, as you stated, and I don’t think counter points are uncalled for, but in the end people are giving their opinions as you have. It’s for the OP, who has only come back once, to evaluate the merit of the opinions for which he/she asked.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Last edited:

Hawg

I don't think it's a High Plains Drifter fantasy. He says he has a .45 Colt he carries. He probably wants to use what he's got without spending more on another gun.

Hawg said:
I don't think it's a High Plains Drifter fantasy. He says he has a .45 Colt he carries. He probably wants to use what he's got without spending more on another gun.
That's the way I read it. The OP didn't ask about a gun -- he told us what he has. He asked about the cartridge,

Blue1

I have a Redhawk in .45 Colt and I've heard they are stronger than the Blackhawks.

In any case, I have two loads over 700# energy, no issue extracting and no high pressure indications.

.45 Colt is a great defensive round if you can conceal and don't have a capacity issue with six rounds.

Brutus

My current 45 Colt is a pre-lock Smith mountain gun which I really like but as soon as Colt brings out a new Anaconda I'm in hook line and sinker.:D