.45 Colt Rugers

RalphS

I've seen you post this info before. The last time I was overwhelmed with a desire to buy a 45 LC Redhawk...

James,

just stick with your 44Mag Redhawk. There is lots of reloading data available for 44Mag and you can get 1200 fps with a 325 grain hardcast bullet out of a 4 inch Redhawk with most slow burning powders.

In many ways, it's a much simpler caliber to deal with. Nobody will tell you that your loads are dangerous, that your brass isn't safe, that you should just buy a 454. You don't have to deal with undersized cylinder throats either.

With 45LC, there are now 4 different power levels to load for - 14,000 psi SAA loads, 20,000 psi S&W loads, 32,000 CUP Ruger only loads and 50,000 psi Redhawk only loads, all documented by Brian Pearce in Handloader magazine. This can be confusing to a reloader.

With 44 Mag, using the proper slow burning powders, you probably will never get enough powder in the case to ever see any signs of pressure in a Redhawk, and you don't have to spend alot of time and money testing loads.

But having said that, I'm really happy with my 45LC Redhawk. 50,000 psi behind a .452 bullet beats 40,000 psi behind a .429 bullet.

The real problem with Redhawks is finding grips that work for you. I keep switching between the Uncle Mikes grips, the Pachmayr Presentation grips, and the Hogue Bantam grips.

Last edited:

Pond James Pond

The real problem with Redhawks is finding grips that work for you. I keep switching between the Uncle Mikes grips, the Pachmayr Presentation grips, and the Hogue Bantam grips.
Well, thanks for the "return to reality" check!

Truth is, even if I decided I wanted one, there'd be nowhere to find a 45LC Redhawk over here! There can't be that many .44 Redhawks to be honest...

Indeed, the .44 Mag will suffice, but that 325gr .45 load still makes the hairs on the back of my next sit up straight!!

As for grips, I ditched the standard Hogue grips that came with the gun and I bought Butler Creek grips: they have been so comfortable: fit my hand like a glove!!

John C

Several posters have referred to the Brian Pearce article on the .45 Colt. Can someone point me to a reference? I'm a subscriber to Handloader, but only for a little while.

Thanks.

RalphS

Handloader #246 April 2007 has most of the load data. You can get a partial version of the magazine from the back issues section of the Handloader / Rifle Magazine website. The partial version has the whole article on 45LC loads.

Handloader #292 October 2014 has the 50Kpsi Redhawk loads.

Pearce has mentioned several times over the years that the Redhawk cylinder was stronger than the Blackhawk but the Oct 2014 article was the first time he published data.

Their website is a little screwy. It will jump from Handloader back issues to Rifle back issues when you don't expect it so you have to watch for that.

Last edited:

Pond James Pond

James,

MidwayDeutschland has some nice 320 grain 44 caliber Cast Performance bullets in stock

I may be tempted further down the line. I ended up using C.P.'s 275gr bullet in the same profile as my woods round.

I also have planted 300gr bullets that have a similar feel making practising the recoil management of that woods round easier.

jackmoser65

It wouldn't be the type of trigger that makes the difference.
It's not the trigger, it's the grip frame design and grip geometry.

RG, why would you NOT want to hold a revolver high?
Because it recoils more straight back into your hand, rather than up as muzzle rise.

dahermit

Loading any handgun over published load data is a mistake . If you feel like you need more gun (power) buy a bigger gun . A 454 Mag use 45 cal bullets and built to .
Agree. I wonder what happens when a guy loads those "bombs", and then dies leaving his wife to sell-of his stuff at a yard sale... to someone with a Colt S.A.A., who does not know what is in store for him. What neophyte would not be tempted to buy 200 rounds or so, and shoot them? Someone who is so new that they have never heard the statement: Never shoot someone eases hand loads...or that does not recognize them as hand loads.

jackmoser65

I'm just not going to live without for the sake of hypothetical future yard sale buyers. Farfetched and silly. I figure the RED plastic box with the label "Ruger only" with bullets seated too long for SAA's should be sufficient to fulfill my obligations to humanity. :rolleyes:

Real Gun

I'm just not going to live without for the sake of hypothetical future yard sale buyers. Farfetched and silly. I figure the RED plastic box with the label "Ruger only" with bullets seated too long for SAA's should be sufficient to fulfill my obligations to humanity.

The load data alone on the box should be a responsible legacy.

Pathfinder45

What about positive extraction? The 45 Colt barely even has a rim; just enough to headspace with the cylinder. Designed for a single-action revolver, it uses an ejector rod that operates without any involvement with the rim. Typical double-action revolvers use a star-shaped extractor acting directly upon the rim. I can't help but think that extraction would be more reliable with a larger rim than the 45 Colt has. I believe the 44 magnum is the better choice here for that reason. But, hey, I'm a 45 Colt, single-action guy; what the heck do I know? Maybe use moonclips?

Real Gun

What about positive extraction? The 45 Colt barely even has a rim; just enough to headspace with the cylinder. Designed for a single-action revolver, it uses an ejector rod that operates without any involvement with the rim. Typical double-action revolvers use a star-shaped extractor acting directly upon the rim. I can't help but think that extraction would be more reliable with a larger rim than the 45 Colt has. I believe the 44 magnum is the better choice here for that reason. But, hey, I'm a 45 Colt, single-action guy; what the heck do I know? Maybe use moonclips?

That is a problem this 45 Colt DA owner didn't know he had. I have the 4.25 and 5.5" Redhawks on the DA side.

I never noticed a rim issue, even with the shellholder on my press.

If there are DA revolvers for rimless pistol ammo like 9mm and 40 S&W/10mm, not requiring moonclips, I rather think the engineers have this covered. Looking forward to anecdotes about positive ejection issues.

jackmoser65

The ejector on Ruger DA's encloses more of the cartridge than on other guns. It 'can' be an issue on S&W's and the .45S&W is certainly more reliable in the Schofield/Russian replicas.