.45 Colt Rugers

Blue1

I'm a handloader that is looking to get into .45 Colt.

The potential of this cartridge in Rugers has me interested. The SA Blackhawks can take very potent loadings, from what I read, hotter than .44 Magnum.

But I have no interest in single-action revolvers.

So my first question is can Ruger Redhawk double-action revolvers take the same loads as the single-action Blackhawks?

My second question involves the trigger difference between a 4" barrel Redhawk and the 5.5" barrel Redhawk. I would prefer the 5.5" barrel for a variety of reasons, but hear that the trigger on the 4" is much better. Did Ruger change the trigger design when the went to the more recently producted 4" barrel Redhawk? If so, can the older design be worked to be as good as the 4"?

Thanks,
Blue1

Bob Wright

Sorry, all of my experience has been with the Single Action Blackhawks.

But in the .45 Colt I've shot everything from wax bullets to black powder.

Bob Wright

ChiefTJS

The Redhawk is actually stronger than the Blackhawk. The trigger on the 4" is exactly the same as the longer barrel length models.

No matter what you shoot it in, please be sure and take the time to work up to the barn burners. Heavier bullets at lower pressure is where the performance edge over the .44mag comes in.

KEYBEAR

Loading any handgun over published load data is a mistake . If you feel like you need more gun (power) buy a bigger gun . A 454 Mag use 45 cal bullets and built to .

Sheikyourbootie

I wish I could tell you about the relative strength of the redhawk, but my experience in 45 Colt Rugers has been with the Bisley Blackhawk.

My middle of the road load is with a 325 grain bullet over 13 grains of HS-6 for 1100 ft/sec. This is my most accurate load. I can hotrod that same bullet to 1300 ft/sec with 23 Grains of H-110 with Large Pistol Magnum primers, but I like the HS-6 load better.

IMG_7079_edited-1.jpg

TimSr

Loading any handgun over published load data is a mistake . If you feel like you need more gun (power) buy a bigger gun . A 454 Mag use 45 cal bullets and built to.

There is plenty of PUBLISHED load data specifically for Ruger/Contender that supports the OP's expectations with this round.

smee78

You can shoot some real stout rounds in the Redhawk, I have a 7 1/2 Redhawk Hunter model in 45C and it is a favorite of mine. I hope to use it soon as a hunting handgun but I need some more trigger time before I feel like I can make a clean kill everytime. Dont forget if you really want to step it up the Ruger Super Redhawk can be had in 454. It can shoot 45C & 454 so you can really step up with that setup. I havent really needed to shoot alot of stout loads in mine, what is the intended purpoe of the stout loads you are looking to shoot? Fun, hunting? Just curious, the 45C was the round that started me reloading due to the factory priced ammo.

Real Gun

Last I looked, the 5.5" Redhawk in 45 Colt is no longer available new. I have both barrel lengths with custom action jobs on both. Displeasure with DA triggers is often a matter of springs, I think. Expect a rather stagey pull. The spring is a good place to start.

Now, the throats might not be right for shooting lead. Be sure to check. Mine were redone to .4525.

To shoot the really robust loads, I think you should be looking for the 5.5" used or New Old Stock. Ruger (and the market) seems to have lost interest in this 45 Colt Redhawk, but it is a great niche for a fan of the 45 Colt and Level III loads beyond what one might shoot in a Blackhawk (Level II, I believe).

My 5.5" is ported, but I bought it that way.

TimSr

I'm guessing that the .45 LC Redhawk has been retired since they offer it in .454, which shoots both.

rclark

I don't shoot DAs but do shoot the SAs ;) . But the Redhawk/Super Redhawk will handle just as much as the ruger BH (the large frame that is) . I sold my SRH off as it was gathering dust in the safe. To big, to clunky for carry and always shoot single action anyway.

Real Gun

I'm guessing that the .45 LC Redhawk has been retired since they offer it in .454, which shoots both.

Ruger's website lists the 454 Casull only under the Super Redhawk, one of the the world's ugliest revolvers. That gun would be overkill for 45 Colt alone.

RugerNo3

The Redhawk and the Super Redhawk are 2 entirely different actions. The Redhawk trigger and hammer spring controls both functions. The Super Redhawk is a scaled up GP100 action. Two separate springs. There can be problems with both designs. The Redhawk takes more finesse to get a better trigger pull. You pays your money and take your choice. Hope this clears up some misconceptions or misnomers.

Blue1

With all due respect to Super Redhawk owners, any Super with a barrel longer than the Alaskan are just too butt-ugly for me to own.

I am huge on form over function, but that firearm is to revolvers what the Pontiac Aztec is to automobiles. IMO.

Plus, the .454 Casull Super Redhawk is a little bit overkill for me. If I wanted a handgun with that kind of power I'd go to the .460 S&W Magnum. I'm just not crazy about a five round capacity.

The .45 Colt is a classic round. Since I've been reloading, I can now afford to shoot it, and provide optimum rounds, not the mild stuff that are generally available; then step it up a little in the Ruger if I desire.

Blue1

feets

There is a lot of iffy info being posted here.

RugerNo3 hit got it right.

I own a big Vaquero (fixed sighted Blackhawk), Redhawk, and Super Redhawk. All are in 45 Colt (SRH 454).

The RH and SRH are far more pleasant than the conventional grip frame on my Vaquero. A Super Blackhawk grip would help but I still don't know if it would be as nice as the others when heavy loads are in play.

The Redhawk has a single spring action. It is known for having a smooth double action trigger without much stacking. In factory form it can have the usual grit and unfinished feel like any other make of revolver. With a little attention it smooths right up but will never have as crisp of a single action trigger as the SRH.

Super Redhawks are a different breed. It has the face only a mother can love, often berated for being unattractive. It's action is completely different than the Redhawk due to having separate hammer and trigger springs. The action can be worked to be really nice. I was surprised with the results I got out of mine. The double action is not quite as slick as the RH but it has the better single action pull.

With heavy loads the 5-1/4" Vaquero is a handful. It is not possible to keep that thing from rotating in the hand. The slick grips I use are the cause of that but that rotation lessens the beating on the wrist.

The 7-1/2" Redhawk and 7-1/2" Super Redhawk share the same length and weight. The Redhawk sits in the hand a bit better with plenty of weight in the grip frame. Super Redhawks have that weight moved forward in the obvious bulk around the frame. That forward weight helps reduce the felt recoil since it is in front of and above the shooting hand. Add in the rubber grips with a Sorbothane insert and the felt recoil is significantly reduced.

The current 45 Colt Redhawks are limited to 4.2" barrels. That's a much better packing gun than the 7-1/2" variant. Used guns can be found with longer barrels.

If you're not looking to win any beauty pageants I'd do the Super Redhawk in 454. It's a big tough gun with decent manners. I believe it's the only 6 shot double action 454 currently available. I bought mine to use with heavy 45 Colt loads but it's seen some 454.

jackmoser65

The SA Blackhawks can take very potent loadings, from what I read, hotter than .44 Magnum.
Similar but not "hotter". Similar bullet weights at similar velocities with the edge usually going to the .44Mag.

The Redhawk is actually stronger and Brian Pearce has listed loads in the 50,000psi range.

Most find the Ruger Bisley more comfortable than any double action.

The Redhawk and Super Redhawk are very similar in dimensions. Both using the same cylinders and weight being a wash. The Super just looks beefier due to the frame extension.

RalphS

Agree 100% with JackMoser. The top end loads for the Redhawk 45 are the 50K PSI loads which were published by Brian Pearce in Handloader a few months ago. You can buy a back issue from their website if you want to read it.

BuffaloBore sells 45LC 325 gr hardcast ammo that clocks at 1269 fps in my 4 inch 45LC Redhawk.

My own handloads are close to that -
330 gr. Beartooth Bullet at 1225 fps
345 gr. Beartooth Bullet at 1235 fps

I'm using H-110, Fed magnum primers, and Starline brass and these are shot from a 4 inch Redhawk. These loads are probably hotter than "Ruger Only Loads" but a little less than "Redhawk Only Loads".

No signs of pressure, brass drops out of the cylinders, gun is fine. Hurts like hell to shoot.

tallball

My Ruger 45LC is a Blackhawk. That bad boy is stout. I have shot many hundreds of 45's out of it and it hasn't loosened up at all. I have always preferred the feel of single action revolvers for the bigger calibers, but the Redhawks look very interesting. Now I am feeling tempted...

GeauxTide

I'm biased to the Blackhawk as I have them in 41 Bisley, 44 Spl Bisley, 45 Bisley, and 44 SBH. Brian Pearce has an excellent article on 45s at 14,000, 21,000, and 32,000. There are some loads that are much hotter, but I wouldn't put them through my Blackhawks. As far as the Redhawk, I would go with the 454. Comfort was mentioned earlier. You will find the Blackhawks much more comfortable to shoot with heavy loads. As an example, shooting top loads in my 41 Bisley is a breeze compared to my 657. The Smith comes straight back and torgues in the hand. The Bisley just takes you for a ride up.