.45 Colt most accurate powders/bullets?

WIL TERRY

FOR THE LIFE ON ME, I do not understand why anyone would waste perfectly good propellents and primers shooting 200gr bullets out of 45COLT pistols. YE GADS !!

salvadore

FOR THE LIFE ON ME, I do not understand why anyone would waste perfectly good propellents and primers shooting 200gr bullets out of 45COLT pistols. YE GADS !!

'Cowboy' action shooting?

Cowboy action shooting is less about shooting and more about finding the lowest recoiling load. I would be dressing up like Howdy Doody too if the favorite cartridge wasn't a 32 long loaded with 40gr bullets @ 600fps...OK I exaggerate, but it's tough to get excited about sissy cowboys.

OH yeah and you don't need a magnum primer for 2400.

44 AMP

Staff
I do not understand why anyone would waste perfectly good propellents and primers shooting 200gr bullets out of 45COLT pistols.

While I normally shoot the 250gr exclusively, I did load some 200gr swc over 8gr Unique, one time. 5 shots, offhand, one ragged hole @ 50feet (the length of the range I was on at the time).

Very mild recoil.

I'd say that level of accuracy was a fair justification for wasting some powder.

Not a lot, but some powder...
;)

Lee 452-255-RF @ 265 gr with Unique and HS-6

I find these powders and bullet work well with my S&W 625-3 which has a 4" barrel. The Lee 452-255-RF dropping at 265 grains plus 9 grains of Unique or 12.5 grains of HS-6 get in the 920-930 FPS area. The point of impact and consistency of pattern are practically the same. At 15 yards, the target shown was when using HS-6.

6 shots. The bottom right shot was one I pulled at the end. It was clearly NOT the gun or the ammunition load.
.45 Colt 452-255-RF at 265gr and 12.5gr HS-6 edited.JPG

Last edited:

Bob Wright

As a matter of information, I have just begun loading some 255 gr. SWC with Winchester AutoComp powder. Tried 7.8 grs. Saturday, estimated to be about 860 fps. Just loaded 8.0 grs. today for estimated 875 fps. Pet load for light loads so far has been 8.0 grs. Winchester 231, or HP-38, which is one and the same, I think.

Having difficulty finding Winchester 231.

Bob Wright

Hunter Customs

As a matter of information, I have just begun loading some 255 gr. SWC with Winchester AutoComp powder. Tried 7.8 grs. Saturday, estimated to be about 860 fps. Just loaded 8.0 grs. today for estimated 875 fps. Pet load for light loads so far has been 8.0 grs. Winchester 231, or HP-38, which is one and the same, I think.

Having difficulty finding Winchester 231.

Bob Wright

Bob, I have a good supply of Winchester 231 I could use, I load it in my 9mm and 45ACP loads.

That 8 gr load of W231 you are using what kind of velocity are you getting?

Best Regards
Bob Hunter
www.huntercustoms.com