.45 Colt lever action rifle

TennJed

I would like a 45 colt lever to accompany my Ruger Vaquero and Redhawk in 45 colt. Those will occasionally see some very stout "Ruger only" loads. Which lever actions can and can not handle "Ruger only"?

Hawg

I would like a 45 colt lever to accompany my Ruger Vaquero and Redhawk in 45 colt. Those will occasionally see some very stout "Ruger only" loads. Which lever actions can and can not handle "Ruger only"?

The Rossi 92 can handle them. I wouldn't try it in a 66 or 73 with toggle link actions.

Pathfinder45

45 Colt extraction......

It's the advent of the modern solid-head 45 Colt case with an extractor groove cut into it that makes it now possible as a lever-action rifle cartridge. Extraction is quite reliable in my Marlin. The cases are actually closer to being semi-rimmed. Like a 220 Swift and a few others we could mention.

James K

Member In Memoriam
True about that groove, but it is there not to provide an "extractor groove" but because of a different way of manufacturing the cases.

Jim

newfrontier45

The Marlin 1894, Winchester 1894 and various 1892 replicas and reissues can handle loads heavier than "Ruger only". With the 1892's being the strongest of the bunch, up to 50,000psi.

Brian Pearce suggests that even the Uberti 1873's are good to ~20,000psi.

Standard loads only for any of the brass framed levers, like the 1860 and 1866.

bobn

I wouldn't get in a hurry to hotrod a marlin in 45. mine had a real thin walled chamber where it screwed in to the action. scared me some. also it had a really loose as in oversized chamber. I assumed to help it feed. still no where near a 44 40 in that dept. jmho, bob

bobn

the action might be but have you actually looked to see how thin the chamber part of the barrel is where it screws into the action on a 45? sorry for the long sentence....