45 Colt bird shot loads?

snuffy

http://www.midwayusa.com/viewproduct/?productnumber=682652

I wouldn't mess around with cardboard wads, .410 wads, or gas checks. These Speer capsules just plain work! The box they come in has loading data right on the outside.

I've loaded these in .357 and 44 mag. They're fun to shoot clays thrown in one hand while the revolver is in the other hand, meaning they're pretty close, not more than10-15 yds. I never tried to take game with them, it's illegal here in WI. , to use a centerfire handgun to shoot small game. As a survival item, I don't doubt they would work, I'd use nothing smaller than 7½ shot.

wyobohunter

So all you need is - Shot capsule, shot, powder, primer and case... No wad or anything else? Sounds simple enough if that's true.

hodaka

I've used the shot capsules made by Speer. They work well but seem a bit expensive (I'm pretty cheap) I think the pattern benefits from the shot having no contact with the rifling. I realize the capsule is spinning, but I believe the shot holds together much better than shot under (and over) a cardboard disk. I plan to experiment a little with cardboard when I have a chance.

Scorch

So all you need is - Shot capsule, shot, powder, primer and case... No wad or anything else? Sounds simple enough if that's true.
Yes, for reloading the Speer shot capsules, that's all you need. Just be careful when you crimp them.

wyobohunter

The CCI tailor made shotshells I bought do not appear to be crimped... If they aren't crimping then why would I need to? That is if I stick with a very light powder charge. Speer doesn't give a start and max charge for these. Just a load with several different powders.

Oops, I take that back... They do have a what looks like a taper crimp. I'll have to be carefull So does this mean I need to buy a taper crimp die just for these?

snuffy

The white top on the pictured shot capsule is the soft plastic over-powder wad. Much like the over-powder wads used in shot shells. It'll expand to seal the bore just fine.

As for where to get shot, here's a place to get almost anything related to shot- shotshells and tools.

http://www.ballisticproducts.com/

Here's a source for #12 shot. 10 pound bag so you don't have a bunch left over;

http://www.ballisticproducts.com/prodinfo.asp?number=02612

The problem with card wads is 1st getting the right size, then the fact that they don't seal the bore worth a hoot. You WILL have hot powder gases blowing past the cardboard wads. That'll cause leading as well as the leading you'll get form the shot in direct contact with the bore. Then there's the deformed shot that's ground flat on one side from sliding down the rifling. Round shot patterns better, every time.

snuffy

Oops, I take that back... They do have a what looks like a taper crimp. I'll have to be carefull So does this mean I need to buy a taper crimp die just for these?

You were posting as I was typing. I would very lightly roll crimp them, just enough to hold the capsule from creeping out under recoil in a revolver. The capsules are EXTREMELY brittle, they have to be to disintegrate after leaving the barrel. An excessive crimp would fracture the capsule.

wyobohunter

I would very lightly roll crimp them, just enough to hold the capsule from creeping out under recoil in a revolver.
How do I know I've crimped them enough? Looks like I'll know that I went too much because the capsule will break... But what about not enough? Do you try to pull the capsule out of one?

I think 12 shot would do nicely for snakes and rodents. I think something bigger is called for for my intended use. I'll try the CCI stuff ( 9 shot) on a Grouse and decide based on how well that works what shot size to get. If 9 shot works really well I may not even bother reloading these as I plan to shoot very few of them.