.45 ACP +P

michael t

I use 45+P in my Colt Officer and Defender .185 gr. I just getting FPS back up to hopefully get expansion and reliable feeding . Since not allowed to just shoot someone to check expansion. I am forced to assume it works and never had a problem with reliable feeding.

Bongo Boy

.45acp +P??

Might as well go to 10mm instead.

Unless of course you have a 45, like 45 and want to shoot 45. In which case I can't think of any reason not to at least look into '+p' for 45. Given commercial 45 Auto +P loads are available that are pretty much equivalent to max load 10mm in the same payload, not sure why I 'might as well' just change to 10mm...given I can't actually buy max load 10mm anywhere except from sources I choose not to buy ammo from.

I think +P (10% above SAAMI max recommendation) for 45 Auto makes perfect sense, and in fact I see it as being quite a bit too conservative as a reasonable max load for 45 in most guns chambered for it today. The only real problem I see is in actually knowing anything at all about what pressures one is really loading to. It's a real bad area to be guessing in, and that's about all one can do when loading over published data.

While I prefer 10mm Auto these days, 45 Auto +P would certainly would be a more attractive choice for the non-handloader looking for ammo more representative of what 45 Auto guns should be capable of. IMO.

9x18_Walther

Thanks for the advice all.

The full size HK USP and Mark 23 have a good history of not wearing prematurely with .45 Super in a stock configuration so I imagine .45 ACP +P will be fine.

I'll probably run the occasional box or two of HST or Ranger T.

JDBerg

I don't shoot a steady diet of +P ammo for practice but I do carry 124 gr.+P Hornady American Gunner rounds. I do shoot this ammo on limited but regular basis and I like it since that XTP bullet shoots reliably and accurately out of my HK P30, and the gun is no worse for wear with limited use of this ammo. It's available every time I walk into my local Cabela's, and at least one other LGS that I frequent, and it's priced a couple bucks under the Hornady "Custom" ammo, and the AG & Custom are identical other than the box & the price. It's what works for me and I would recommend it to anyone who does limited practice with the ammo they carry. Just my own $0.02 worth on the subject.

5RWill

Our glock 21 is loaded with +p 230gr gold dots at 1000fps. 45 already has some muzzle flip albeit managable. With those things for me and my small hands it turns into an unmanageable cannon that is snappy with even more muzzle flip. That said the gun doesn't fit me. I use +p 180gr gold dots in my M&P and can run them all day long

DA/SA Fan

I'm going on about 3500 rounds of 124 and 147 grain Underwood +P+ through my alloy framed TriStar T-120. I did put a 20 lb. recoil spring in it but I gotta believe that claims of reduced service life in pistols that shoot hot ammo are at very least, exaggerated. Also recently got a SAR K2 in .45. If it handles .45 super with the Sprinco recoil reducer and 18 lb. spring in it, I will be running occasional super rounds and lots and lots of +P through it. I just like heavy and fast bullets.:)

David R

They were taking 308 brass and cutting it down to 45 length b(.898) for a stronger case. Hot loads out if the book are plenty for me.

David

L-2

I'm a bit late to this question. Otherwise, I've no particular opinion and have carried & shot with standard and +P versions of 9mm and .45ACP.

Here's a link to the results of another study by a person/persons much more knowledge than I am:

https://pistol-forum.com/showthread.php?4337-Service-Caliber-Handgun-Duty-and-Self-Defense-Ammo

At one time, I was swayed more by the absolute energy results of a particular ammo. I'm not too swayed toward energy today. As already mentioned, there are several non-+P versions of ammo (same brand, model, & weight) still meeting desired expansion & penetration amounts, without as much recoil, blast, or possible-wear-on-firearm.

As a side-note, these results may also pertain to choosing between the 9mm vs. .357SIG caliber debate.

When buying my own carry ammo, I'll typically choose something recommended from the referenced link, whether +P or not. At a given moment of buying/ordering, I may just choose a brand-name I like and not all versions are readily available from where I shop.

cougar gt-e

I see the + as just marketing hype. Shopping specs, you find some + ammo yielding SLOWER velocity than some identical weight standard velocity ammo.

Much of the + stuff also gives more flash and flinch inducing recoil/blast. Not enough gain to justify it.

RsqVet

Not a fan of +p ammo. Too much wear on the gun most os the time and is generally not needed as the conventional loadings do the job. Exceptions being 9mm 1911 or other gusn with upgraded springs or subguns.

I agree that the 9mm +p and +p+ ammo came about at a time when there were questions legit or not as to the 9mm's ability to "stop" and everyone was looking for the magic round.