45 acp for other than personal defense

RickB

Yeah, it has to be one of the most popular competition rounds in the U.S., if you combine bullseye and practical matches. I've competed with almost nothing but .45 ACP, for fifteen years.

pete2

I shoot more 45ACP than 9mm and 38 combined. the 1911 and 625 revolver. If we could carry openly in Texas I'd carry the 1911 some. I use mine as range guns, do shoot IDPA with them.
I prefer little guns for concealed carry, 642 or LC9.

Rifleman1952

Buffalo Bore is offering a very hot 255 gr 45acp +P load that is touted as good for hunting (up to black bear) or for barrier penetration. The bullets are solid, non expanding with a somewhat flattened nose. These rounds are so hot that Buffalo Bore recommends beefing up your semi-auto .45 with a stronger recoil spring (Wolf) and a shock buffer before using them. I don't think that is something I would ever do but these rounds should work in a well made .45 acp revolver using moon clips. If I was going to go handgun hunting for large wild pig or black bear, I personally would prefer either a .44 magnum or 454 casull but to each their own.

https://www.buffalobore.com/index.php?l=product_detail&p=214

PeterGreg

I thought about using my Blackhawk with .45acp cyl for whitetail, the plan was to use the .45colt cyl with some hotter ammo but money has been tight and I've got 150 rounds of 230 jhp WWB. both cartridges are legal in Ohio for deer.

Edward429451

Beyond anti-personnel and target shooting, the 45acp really isn't all that versatile. It just doesn't penetrate enough to do much else. When you can get it to 1000fps or more then it becomes more versatile. That's why the BH's are so good because they let one do this.

I've long called my acp my city gun.