45 acp for other than personal defense

RsqVet

Anyone Here use 45 acp for anything other than
Personal defense?

Just wondering, as it's nothing to sneeze at energy wise and I think it tends to get shoved into the "anti personal use only" catagoey by virtue of
It's popularity there. Yet anyone who has shot a 625 will attest that the 45 acp is not a "minor" round. In fact being at the range
With a 625 it's interesting to see peoples
Response to the 45'acp recoil in a revolver.

Bob Wright

I've used the .45 ACP in a Colt Gold Cup, a Smith M625, and in Ruger Blackhawks.

The Gold Cup I used for crows mostly, making shots out to about seventy-five yards or so. Did mostly target shooting and plinking with the others. Friend of mine used an AMT Hardballer to take several groundhogs in the twenty to fifty yard range. He recovered the bullets from several 'hogs he had taken and the .45 ACP takes a back seat to none within its range.

Bob Wright

SPEMack618

I shot a bowling match with my Glock 21 once. A lot of fun.

A friend of mine would split playing cards with his Dad's Gold Cup, when I asked why he used that instead of his super accurate Mk II he replied that
"The .45 is like a cannon. Bigger bullet makes the trick easier."

jasmith85

I target shoot with my 1911 more than any other gun. It is just more accurate for me than any of my other handguns.

Love my 1911 too...some days I feel like carrying it and I do.

But for the most part it's a range gun.

I'll pick it for offense. 8+1 of 230gr Speer Gold Dots (S.W.A.T)

I'll pick my Glock 17 for defense 18+1 (The watch)

testuser

I have a .45, just for range use. I guess I hadn't consider it for anything else besides target shooting and anti-personnel.

The problem is the sectional density is .162, so it needs to be driven pretty hard to achieve the same penetration as smaller calibers.

Sectional Density for .44/240 grain = 0.205
Sectional Density for .357/180 grain = 0.202
Sectional Density for 10mm/200 grain = 0.179

For a trail gun, I have access to .357, .44, or 10mm (15+1 rounds). I can achieve better penetration with less recoil or, a lot more penetration if loaded to the same power factor as .45 ACP. I think that makes those calibers better for animals like black bear, over the .45 ACP. Not to say it couldn't do the job of a trail gun, just not my first choice...

If you like the 1911, then the Colt Delta Elite would actually make an excellent trail gun and could easily double for anti-peronnel.

rsgvet:

I use my Smith & Wesson model 625, .45 auto rim to hunt wild boar with dogs. I use Hornaday's 200 grain XTP loaded to 1,020 fps. I hit one hog in front of the shoulder and the bullet traveled ten or twelve inches of neck taking out three inches of neck bone on it way to lodging under the ear and behind the jaw on the off side. The shot was point blank, I wouldn't hesitate to take a fifty yard shot with my 625.

Semper Fi.

Gunnery Sergeant
Clifford L. Hughes
USMC Retired

Bob Wright

A .45 ACP revolver can take a little hotter handloads than an autoloader.

I had some of my 185 gr. Sierra loads checked by Accurate Powder Co. some years ago. They clocked 1290 fps and celivered good accuracy, but their representative told me to confine these to revolvers only.

Bob Wright

Nanuk

I had some of my 185 gr. Sierra loads checked by Accurate Powder Co. some years ago. They clocked 1290 fps and celivered good accuracy, but their representative told me to confine these to revolvers only.

That is firmly in 45 Super country.

Hal

Anyone Here use 45 acp for anything other than
Personal defense?
.45acp - using lead round nose bullets & a light charge of Bullseye is a fun accurate plinking load.
Fairly cheap too.

insomni

My uncle bagged some hogs in Hawaii (though they tend to be a little smaller than those Georgia hogs) with a 1911 when he was on R&R from Vietnam. Round's gotta be good for something!

thedudeabides

45 ACP WWB is really cheap around here, cheaper than 40 and close to 9mm in cost.

I shoot my P220 and Sig 1911 more than any other gun I own. They're my 45 "plinkers."

Recoil is a nonissue, and they are the most accurate guns I own.

BlueTrain

I almost am embarrassed to admit to not owning a .45 auto but I've owned several in the past (don't own a .22 either). But it's nearly an all-purpose handgun cartridge for anything a .22 isn't enough for. How I get by without either a .45 or a .22 I don't know.

I'm not a big believer in hot rodding any cartridge and if you think a plain .45 ACP isn't powerful enough, then use something else. A .41 or .44 magnum should be enough for most things you'd dare to shoot with a handgun. There's nothing within 500 miles of where I live, not behind a fence, that a .45 won't handle and most of the things that are behind fences, too.

A 200 or heavier hard cast semi-wadcutter always seemed like an ideal bullet to use for this cartridge, except I suppose for defensive purposes, provided the gun is happy with that bullet shape. It could be loaded all over the power scale to suit yourself. For that matter, I've even loaded semi-wadcutters in 9mm, only they were 158-grain bullets. In a 9mm, it's merely "all right," but nothing really worth doing, although it isn't difficult.

One disadvantage, in fact, just about the only disadvantage of a .45 is that it will be a larger gun. The only way it can be smaller is to have a smaller cartridge capacity, such as the old Colt Officer's ACP. Nearly a perfect size for carry, they are a handful to shoot. The one I had was not as bad as shooting a .357 in a K-frame but it was something you had to hold on to and you were not likely to do a lot of fast shooting either. Except in the length of the grip, most .45 autos seem to be no bigger than a lot of 9mm pistols. That is, 9mm pistols that I would buy. Apparently, really small 9mm pistols are just as difficult to use as really small .45 ACP pistols.

COSteve

I've got a custom Glock G21L and a Springfield 1911 and both get serious range time whenever I'm pistol shooting. Having bought a very large supply of reloading components some years ago, shooting my 45acps is cheaper than shooting store bought 9mm.

ROGER4314

I hunted rabbits and squirrels with my first 1911 in the mid 1960's. I also shot rats for years at Kansas trash dumps with that pistol. The pistol has imprints of my fingers worn completely through the finish in the front strap of the grip and to say I shot it a lot would be a major understatement!

Flash