45-70 shooters--Explain this!

Spectre

Staff Alumnus
From the one side, there's a group that says that the .458 Win Mag isn't really enough for cape buffalo, etc.

It isn't. Capstick wrote of a hunter emptying his .460 into one. I believe he was on his second mag when the bull went down.

From the other side, there's a group that says the hot-loaded .45-70 will easily take cape buff's.

It will. Capstick wrote of a lady- a fantastic marksman- who took one with a 7x57mm- with one shot.

with the right loads, a .45-70 will break both shoulders on a cape buff or shoot all the way through one LENGTHWISE.

I hope this has been explained to satisfaction. I remember seeing a picture of J.D. Jones with a buff he had taken with a .45-70 from a Contender years ago. JD called the .45-70 "the best 100 yard sledgehammer".

Randy gets a lot of respect from me. I believe he knows what he's talking about. I hope you can tell from the two examples given, that the HUNTER is the big variable.

T-Rex

Factory loads from mainstream manufacturers are almost all downloaded to be safe in antique weapons, sort of like factory 8mm stuff. Randy Garret's stuff is in a different class, with pressures approaching 40kpsi. It's optimized for penetration, and does really well in that arena. For DG however, most folks I've heard, rely on a combination of penetration and KE for a kill. While a Garret loaded 45-70 may be adequate for DG, I still think I'd want something in the "overkill" category. Instead of Garrett, I'm thinking Barrett. :)

Fire once. Spend remainder of day gathering pieces of former target.

Bud Helms

I'm still tryin' to figure out this question: "Now, my question is, at what angle can you shoot a Cape Buffalo up before the ballistic arc no longer is a factor?"
:confused: