45/70 Express Explosive bullet

Status
Not open for further replies.

schmellba99

Well there you go, I learned something new today that will inevitably get packed into the memory banks on a permanent basis.

I'll forget the name of a client or vendor that will walk in my door in 10 minutes, but I guarantee you that in 20 years I'll remember that buffalo hides were used heavily in the industrial revolution as machinery belts, because that's just cool information to know right there.

BoogieMan

I dont think the OP had/has any intention of hunting with these bullets. Just a cool toy or something to make a interesting day. I used to shoot black powder caps out of my .177 Crossman because I thought it was cool and it made a bang. Based upon that idea maybe try a 209 primer with a few gr of BP. a 45/70 is a pretty big bullet and potentially a pretty large cavity to fill.

"Not well remembered today, but an 1800s factory, running off water power (or wind, sometimes) would have, literally, miles of belts and pulleys transferring the power to the machinery."

And, after the 1830s, most commonly steam.

It was common for a factory to have one low pressure, low-RPM steam engine that would run, literally, for years on end with only minimal shutdowns for maintenance.

Often the arrangement would be an engine with two separate boilers, as the boilers required FAR more maintenance than the engine.

The picture here shows a very common arrangement:

http://viewfinder.english-heritage.org.uk/search/detail.aspx?uid=60145

Single horizontal cylinder, steam supplied from an external boiler (big pipe on the left), massive flywheel and the belt going up through the wall to the factory's main take off.

It's engines like that that powered industry the world wide, including gun manufacturers.

This is a fantastic period image from an 1880 issue of Scientific American showing the Smith & Wesson factory. Severy of the vignets show the overhead shafts and belts supplying power to the individual machines.

http://gb.fotolibra.com/images/previews/1022519-smith-wessons-revolver-factory.jpeg

When I worked at the newspaper I was making my rounds of the county courthouse one afternoon, and for some reason the people in the prothonotary's office had the coroner's inquest book from the 1850s or so.

One of the most common causes of unnatural death was "caught in an overhead shaft."

44 AMP

Staff
I was going to say steam, as well, but forgot. I shall CYA by saying hey, steam is actually "water" power too!:rolleyes:

yes, absolutely steam engines drove the factories, AND let them be sited about anywhere, which also drove the economy.

In the 1800s, being killed at work was commonplace. Industrial accidents were often the leading causes of death, after disease/infection and war/famine.

Workers were cheap, and easily replaced.

We've spent an absolutely tremendous amount in time, effort and money making industry safer for the workers. It was one of the founding blocks of the union movement.

Today, being killed in an industrial accident is relatively rare in the US, and the "getting caught in the machinery" fatalities are even lower, statistically speaking.

The world is still not a safe place, never will be, but working (in the US and developed nations) is far safer than ever in the past.

balderclev

Back to the OP's original post.

A 22 blank in a bullet would not be explosive in my opinion. It would need something to contain the blast.

Just my uneducated opinion.

44 AMP

Staff
The concept of an exploding rifle caliber bullet is interesting, on a technical level, but doesn't have a lot of value beyond that.

Lots of things have been tried, over the years, and even more things have been "used" in popular fiction (where, they work, because it is fiction).

The problem is not that it cannot be done, but I note that it (essentially) is not done, which leads me to believe that it cannot be done with any practicality.

Besides a whole host of laws about explosives, I don't believe that there is any legal hunting you can do with them. And the military isn't interested in rifle caliber exploding bullets, since we operate under rules that generally prohibit such things, and even if we didn't, would the cost and complexity be worth it?

For the kinds of things one shoots rifles at? Regular bullets seem to work well enough.

Added "stopping power?" An explosive bullet might do it better, but, the key to that would be the fuse. And that is something, as far as I know that they haven't figured out.

People talk about putting a primer or a blank in a hollow point bullet and then go and shoot some rocks, or something. Sometimes, these things may even go bang, but its nothing you can count on. For that, you would need a purpose designed detonator. Which can be done, if you are shooting a hard target, like a rock or steel, but what about a person or an animal?

Never heard of anyone doing any design or testing (which doesn mean Q doesn't have some, just that its not common public knowledge).

On a basic level, shooting a person or even a charging buffalo, the detonator has to hit something hard enough to set it off. Otherwise, the effect is about the same as an FMJ.

Add to the problem, that too sensitive a detonator will go off on impact with anything, and while this would make horrific surface wounds, it is doubtful if you would get the penetration needed for a lethal wound, or one that damages vital organs enough to ensure a "stop" To get maximum effect the exploding bullet would need to work like an anti-tank round, penetrating, then exploding.

And that is a difficult thing on a target as variable as a living body. If anyone has done it, they sure are keeping quiet about it.

So, there's no market for it, meaning there's no money in it, a stack of different laws saying you can't use it, and some saying you can't even have it, without prior govt approval.

Probably not a real good idea to brag on the internet if you DO manage to make some explosive bullets on your own. :D
Might even be considered promoting illegal activities, which I just realized, as I write this. So, to prevent that, I think for now, we will close this discussion.

Status
Not open for further replies.