.45-70 Derringer

Shaun

I recently saw a derringer chambered in .45-70 (American Derringer i believe) and the massochistic part of me that wants to shoot immensely powerful handguns started to bubble. I've never been afraid to shoot any handcannon, from scandium framed Smith with full house 300 grain .44 Magnums to a sawed down 10" pistol grip 12 gauge with 00 buck. Nevertheless this thing scares me, I want it and i dont want it. Has anyone shot one, or seen one shot. Can you describe the pain/pleasure you recieved firing this monster. Thanks.

Odd Job

Did you see Brassfetcher's test? He put it in a vice and it tore the grips off! I'm not sure I would go for it (well not without very sturdy leather gloves and a fully paid up medical plan). ;)

JWT

The thought of firing such a thing is terrifying. If you do, please post a range report.

Rimrod

I have a .41 magnum American Derringer. There is only pain, no pleasure.

Recoil is brutal and the trigger pull is terrible, so I only shoot it with reduced loads, and you want a .45-70?:eek:

deadin

45/70 derringer?
I think you can experience the same effect with a 5 lb. sledge hammer and a concrete block for a lot less money. Just lay your hand on the block (palm up) and swing away.....:D

SOSARMS

First hand.....

Years ago I saw one at a gun dealer in the used section, called the Alaskan Survival model.....Supposed to be a back up for your 45-70 rifle when you go bear hunting and your rifle malfunctions, and the bear is upon you.
Anyway, asked how it shot, and the reply was " There's one way you will find out.", so out the door i go, $250. lighter. The only 45-70 ammo i have is 400gr so loaded it and shot. The grips are sooo small, and upon firing, the recoil caused the gun to rotate back into my hand with the trigger stabbing me in the hand. Was almost 2 weeks before i could squeeze anything....
Did make some modifications afterward. Got a set of oversized grips, supplied by AD, and bought a box of 325gr. ammo :D

I've always wanted one myself... though common sense has over ruled the desire to part with my money...

... hats off to the guy who actually had the balls to pull the trigger... don't know if I could do that or not...

... my concern, is that he gun could not handle enough firings to justify it as a actual "weapon"... I'd think after a box of 20 rounds, that the mechanism would no longer function... ( but I wonder how many in real life would ever be fired enough to actually break ??? )

I'd still like to try to shoot one though...

( with a full face motorcycle helmet, a heavy leather jacket, & a good heavy leather glove )

Full-choke

Where can I find one? I want one so bad!!!

That would be absolutely amazing to shoot. It takes a real man to squeeze the trigger on a handgun like that. I've said for a year now that as soon as I turn 21 I'm getting a BFR in 45-70...but a derringer would be much cooler. That would make one sweet CC gun too!

mountainclmbr

I have fired one in 45 long colt. The recoil causes the bullet to impact above the point of aim. For example, at a 20 yard indoor range the point of impact is about 6-8 inches above the top of a human silouette target if you aim center of mass. That places the point of impact right about the spot that the pulley system attaches. Having the pulley and cables suddenly ensnare you is no fun. Ask me how I know....45LC Derringer!

john in jax

I had one of the A.D. .45LC./.410ga models and it was FUN. With either round there was great big BOOOM and a HUGE fireball coming out of the end of the bbl. At 15 feet, using .410ga buckshot I set the target on fire and got kicked out of the range - - just way too much powder in those shells to burn up in +/-inch of bbl.

The .45-70 can't kick all that much harder (not enough bbl to burn all that powder), but I would think it'd have a significantly larger fireball shoorting out of the end of the bbl.

I say go for it - you'll need to hold on to it REAL tight but it really should be fun to shoot. And if you ever need to use it in self defense , just let 'em get close . . . even if you miss with the bullet you probably got a 50/50 chance of setting them on fire.

oldredneck

You could probably throw that cartridge and kill someone. I thought I wanted a H & R handi-rifle in .45-70 until I shot one owned by a buddy. The thing loosens the fillings in your teeth. I don't think you could pay me enough money to shoot a derringer in that caliber. After that experience I decided to go with the .44 Mag. I've heard of two cases where people broke the stock while shooting the .45-70 in a lead sled.

SOSARMS

Wanna shoot one ????

Just come to Ohyah and we will satisfy all your desires..!!! May even let you try out my special order AD M-8 in 45-70.....nothin like an extra couple of inches to loosen the fillings.....Just bring your own B & Bs....( bullets and bandaids.) :D:eek: