.44mag Desert Eagle

Skans

I would go straight to the big boy. Why not just get the .50 AE? I have plenty of .44 Magnums already.

50 AE is too expensive to shoot - anywhere from about $1.20 - $2.00/round. 44 magnum is bad enough, but doable. Besides, with an XIX, I can buy a 50AE barrel and magazine and shoot 50 AE on the same frame if I wanted to. The one I really wanted was the Cor Bon 440.

oldgunsmith

The primary function of the Desert Eagle is to stimulate the imaginations of those who can't look at it and recognize right away that it is much too clumsy and awkward to ever be good for any practical purpose other than bragging rights.

"Responsibility not having been mentioned in Article II, disrespect for and abuse of the right shall contribute to it's demise."

tulsamal

50 AE is too expensive to shoot - anywhere from about $1.20 - $2.00/round. 44 magnum is bad enough, but doable.

I realize this isn't true of everybody that shoots the big Magnums (although I can't imagine it...) but I don't consider "the cost of factory ammo" since I quite literally never, ever shoot any of it. Why would I? I would have never mastered a .357 Magnum and then moved on to the bigger ones all those decades ago if I could only shoot one box of factory ammo on odd occasions.

So I realize that jacketed .50 AE slugs are going to cost more than .429" ones for .44 Magnum, but I don't think the difference will be THAT substantial.

**** I was curious so I went to look. Graf's lists .500" jacketed slugs for between $24 and $32 per 50. Not like buying surplus .224" bullets but I could afford to shoot off a couple magazines on occasion. Starline brass is $34 a hundred.

Gregg

Pond James Pond

I like DE's as a spectacle. Impressive to look at, hold and shoot, but I wouldn't own one: the expense and lack of rolls beyond range fun would see to that.

But as I said they are spectacular to behold!!

Somehow, muzzle-flare seems too big an understatement for this picture (taken at my local range and used on their homepage!) :cool::

pic.png

Last edited:

44 AMP

Staff
Something usually overlooked....

While I do believe that the majority of people who buy a Desert Eagle these days do it for the bragging rights, or the coolness factor, for use as a range toy, or even as a safe queen, there is one thing that the Desert Eagle does that is usually overlooked.

And that is that it gives you an alternative for handgun hunting. If you want to hunt anything bigger than small game with a handgun, you have basically two choices, revolver or single shot.

There are people out there (believe it or not) that just do not like the feel of heavy recoil in revolvers or single shots. Everybody has a preference, and some people make that part of their purchase requirements.

(probably not many, but I know some do...)

For instance, my Father, who was a handgun enthusiast and hunted until the last few years of his life, did not own a single action revolver. Not in any caliber. He didn't like the "feel" of the grip shape. He was fine with the shape of a DA revolver grip, and with autopistols. S&W N frames were his favorites for hunting (.357 & .44).

And, I can see some reasoning behind this. Personally, when it comes to the feel of heavy recoil I'd rather shoot an autopistol frame (that fits) than a DA revolver grip, and there is a limit to my comfort with the SA grip style too.

I have SAs (including Bisley grip), DAs, autos and a Contender in .44 or .45 cal cartridges that can generate all the recoil I find acceptable, and then some. The least punishing to shoot at upper recoil levels are the autos, for me, at least.

Taken as a replacement for a rifle (carbine), the Desert Eagle is smaller and lighter. Big and heavy for a handgun, yes, but much shorter and lighter than a carbine.

Few people look at a Contender and whine about how it is "just a range toy", etc. And while significantly lighter, a 10" or 14" Contender .44 Mag is long and awkward to maneuver in a house clearing situation (leaving completely aside the fact that its a single shot:D).

I think the reason the DE gets so much poor response is that it looks basically like an overgrown service pistol. And many people seem to feel it should behave like one (only more powerful). And when they learn the reality, that there is no free lunch, despite what Hollywood constantly shows us, they get turned off to the gun.

Being a big movie and video game star helps sales, but its kind of like meeting a movie star you've admired for some time, and finding out that in person they're ...not quite as nice as you thought they would be...;)

Skans

Now, I'll admit, I didn't buy my Desert Eagle 44 for hunting. However, I have discovered that it is good for informal bowling pin competitions. If I'm going to be shooting bowling pins, it's a toss up between my 10mm and my Desert Eagle .44.

Gaz_in_NZ

As a complete aside to the general thread, do .357 and a .44 DE's use standard rimmed revolver ammo?

If so, then how does it stack into a straight mag?

Just curious.
Thanks in advance.
G

seeker_two

I think the reason the DE gets so much poor response is that it looks basically like an overgrown service pistol. And many people seem to feel it should behave like one (only more powerful). And when they learn the reality, that there is no free lunch, despite what Hollywood constantly shows us, they get turned off to the gun.

Being a big movie and video game star helps sales, but its kind of like meeting a movie star you've admired for some time, and finding out that in person they're ...not quite as nice as you thought they would be...

So....it's like the Steven Segall of handguns.... :D

ClydeFrog

IDF, armor units...

Years ago I heard some "rumint" or rumored intel that armor troops & some FA or field artillery troops in the IDF were issued DE sidearms for close range defense.
Some SWAT units may have deployed a Desert Eagle too if they had any reports of subjects wearing body armor.
DEs were used in the 1990s action film; Universal Soldier.

Clyde

44 AMP

Staff
As a complete aside to the general thread, do .357 and a .44 DE's use standard rimmed revolver ammo?

If so, then how does it stack into a straight mag?

They stack up just fine. In fact, I think the magazine of the Desert Eagle is one if its best design features. The mag bodies are slightly slanted, virtually identical to a 1911 mag, and less than a Luger, or any of the common .22RF sport pistols.

DE mags feature a deep rib pressed into the sides of the mag body, which keeps the rounds from being able to shift in the mag, and prevents rimlock. The feed angle is also very shallow, which aids in feeding the long ammo.

I have heard many rumors about the origins of the Desert Eagle, including being made for (or issued to) Israeli military units. As far as I know, they are all BS. Not saying the Israelis never used or considered using the DE, (they are rather pragmatic about finding a use for things...:D), but haven't seen any documented sources citing use of the DE by them as an officially sanctioned weapon.

I did hear of some SAS folk who tried the .357 DE in training. Seems they liked the combination of 9+1 rounds of .357 mag and low recoil well enough to put up with the size and weight of the DE. Never heard of them actually using the DE in the field, though.

One rumor I have heard (although I have no proof at this time) is that the Desert Eagle was designed by an American, who, after finding no one to back production in the US eventually found support in Israel. IMI virtually rebuilt the gun from the ground up, keeping the base principals of its operation, but changing nearly everything else. I find this more credible than it being made for Israeli tankers, who, in the limited space inside a tank, would have little love for a monster size handgun.

Skans

One rumor I have heard (although I have no proof at this time) is that the Desert Eagle was designed by an American, who, after finding no one to back production in the US eventually found support in Israel.

That is my understanding as well.

ClydeFrog

Off-topic(slightly)....

The origin of the Desert Eagle pistol & it's rumored military use reminds me of the GE 134D type mini-gun used by ex-SEAL; Jesse Ventura in the action/sci-fi film: Predator(1986).
"Ole Painless" was huge & seemed difficult to truck around in a humid jungle.
It's been noted that the US Army Special Forces T&Eed a GE mini-gun machine gun in the mid-1970s, but it was to bulky & difficult to use in real combat conditions.
Like the Desert Eagle, it looked cool & was powerful but ended up being to much.
BTW; a newer format GE mini-gun was used in the sequel; Predators(2010). IMDb.com reported that the armorers & producers wanted to use a Russian type heavy machine gun a lot like the 134D weapon but it wasn't available for the film crew.

CF

madmo44mag

I've wanted a 44 DE since they hit the market.
I've shot many and just love them.
Now the only dam thing they are good for IMHO is a range gun or scaring the hell out of the ex in-laws - LOL!!!!
Funny thing about this tread is I am doing some trading right now to get enough scratch together to buy a used 44DE.
I'd never buy a new one cause they are just too pricy but used I can handle.
Lucky for me I have big paws so the grip size is not an issue.
I own a Ruger 44 mag with a 10 inch bull barrel so I'm use to the weight.
Wish me luck I can find a nice one for the right price cause I'm on the hunt.

Gaz_in_NZ

@ 44 AMP...
Many thanks for the reply, that's cleared up a few things I've been pondering on for quite a while now.

Cheers
G