.44 Special ?

FLA2760

Hi
I am thinking of buying a Charter 2000 .44 Special
revolver. What is the advantage or disadvantage of the .44 Special compared to the .357 magnum? I have a .357 revolver; a Rossi that has been ok.
What about the .44 magnum compared to the above rounds? The .44 will be a house gun and the Rossi .357 will become a car gun. Thank you for your replys:confused:

bill k

Buy a 44 mag, if you don't like the recoil just shoot 44 special rounds. As far as a house gun, get a shotgun, pistols tend to shoot through walls into other peoples homes.

garry owen

Charter 2000 44 Bulldog

I traded for a new one about a year ago, never had a problem with it. Rides in my glovebox.

tulsamal

Either the S&W M296 or 696 would be a better choice. I would even prefer the Rossi 720 over the last Charters.

Gregg

Sulaco2

If you must have a Charter get one of the older .44 Bulldogs. They rock and I have never had a problem with the three I have owned. :D

Pointer

.357 Magnum doesn't start to reach its' potential until the barrel gets over 3".

The .44 Special hits hard enough (Like the .45 ACP) and is effective out of smaller, lighter and shorter guns.

The Charter Arms Bulldog has been a very good, economically priced weapon for me for many years.

It has taken a beating and just recently, I spent $20 to replace the ejection rod parts.

Have confidence in Charter Arms... I trust my life to mine. :)

Pistolenschutze

I wouldn't buy a rubber band shooter from Charter 2000, FLA. I owned one, an Undercover in .38 Special, and it consistently misfired about one in five right out of the box. Even Charter couldn't fix it when I sent it in for repair. The old .44 Bulldog revolvers (made by the original Charter Arms Company over 25 years ago) were fairly decent guns, though about as ugly as the south end of a north bound mule. Last I heard, the third and newest incarnation of Charter Arms--Charter 2000--is also headed for oblivion.

Unlike some, I rather like the old .44 special round though it does have some factors against it. For one thing, it's not a particularly popular round these days and thus not many manufactuers chamber for it. Taurus makes its Model 445 in this caliber, which is a five-shot, medium frame revolver. Smith & Wesson used to make a medium frame revolver for the .44 Special also, but their current website no longer shows it listed. As you know, the .44 Special works fine in any of the .44 Magnum revolvers offered by Smith, Taurus, Ruger, and many others. Makes a good practice round if you don't want to shoot full power mags. Another problem with the .44 Special is that, again because it is not terribly popular, not many loadings are produced for it. Target ammo is easy to get, though a bit expensive, but good hollow point stuff is less so. Unless you reload, this can be a problem.

In short, I would say you're better off with a .38/.357, FLA. Were it me, I would go with a Smith or a Taurus, though the Ruger is certainly a fine weapon as well. For a house gun, though, you might want to consider loading it with .38 +P instead of .357s. The muzzle blast and recoil of the .357 is pretty fierce indoors, especially from a short-barrel revolver. Taurus makes its Model 605 5-shot, steel-frame snubbie in .38/.357. I have one of these and like it a great deal. For a vehicle gun, I personally like a J-frame Smith loaded with +P ammo with an SKS speedloader as a backup. Smith is now pricing its Model 637 Airweight rather attractively. I own two of them and purchased each for just under $400.

Webleymkv

As two other posters mentioned, the .44spl is about like a .45ACP. Advantages over the .357 include less recoil in a similarly sized gun and the availability of heavier bullets. Many prefer the .44spl for the heavier bullets because they penetrate straigter than lighter ones. This is especially important when engaging a target in a vehicle as the heavy 240grn slug is less likely to ricochet off the windshield. Honestly, most of us are probably better served by a .357 because of the availability of ammo.

SmokinTom

I have never had good luck with Charter Arms.I did buy a Taurus 3" stainless 44 spl. and after shooting it for a year I found the same gun with a 4" barrel and now I have 2.Both are excellent shooters and 2 months ago I picked up a S@W 624 in 6".All are good shooters but I like the Taurus`s the best thus far.

TX_RGR

Original Charter Arms Bulldog is the WTG. Steel framed, 19 oz. empty. That's right. Can be had for 200-300 on gunbroker.com. CHARCO and Charter 2000 get mixed reviews, and that's being kind. There are plenty of rounds for .44 special to cover whatever needs you have, and no more expensive than my .45 ACP. Try midwayusa. The .44 special has ballistics on line with the .45 ACP plus the reliability of a revolver. It outperforms the .357 pretty easily. A favorite load of shooters around here is the Blazer "flying ashtray" Gold Dot HPs. 200 grains of .44 goodness. There are also hotter, heavier loads, up to 260 grains at 900 fps for the more adventurous. Inherently accurate. More easily controlled than a .357. Besides that, not much to like.

jeff_troop

i have a charter 2000 undercover .38 spl and it is a good revolver. always works and accurate enough considering who is shooting it.

TX_RGR

Quote:
It outperforms the .357 pretty easily
:confused: :confused: :confused:

Knowledge is power. :p Seriously, I figured I'd offend some .357 loyalists with that one. Look, It's too late for a stat fest, and I have no interest in doing it either. Besides, it has been done. A lot. Don't worry about it. Believe what you want. Carry what you want. Don't worry be happy. :)

have a nice day. :)

arnie08515

Have a brand new model 629 with a 6.5 inch barrel. Love to shoot it with 44 specials or mags. Specials are fine to shoot; the 44 magnum is one hell of a load and it will take your breath away. When I shoot one at the range the orange glow from the revolver is like nothing you've ever seen. Have shot the .357 too but 357 does not compare to the 44 magnum which is at least 1/3 more powerful.

Two warnings: You need to practice with a 44 special and magnum. Second, if you have hand or arm problems think twice b/c the 44 is still one of the most powerful handguns in the world and it could aggravate your arms/hands problems. My hand was sore for a week from just shooting 69 rounds.

Also, the shorter the barrel the bigger the recoil. But it will stop anything threatening you without a doubt.

jeff_troop

I figured I'd offend some .357 loyalists with that one.

well you didn't. i don't even own a .357

.44 special out performs the .357 magnum. perhaps someone can spare the time to explain this to me because i don't get it.

Jack Malloy

You will get less muzzle blast and recoil from a snubby .44 spl.
It has a loud bark and it does push, but its not nasty like a short magnum...
The big disadvantage is that .44 spl ammo costs more than .38 ammo, which is why I carry a .357 snub instread of a .44 special, even though I prefer the .44 spl.....

tulsamal

The big disadvantage is that .44 spl ammo costs more than .38 ammo, which is why I carry a .357 snub instread of a .44 special, even though I prefer the .44 spl.....

I've never seen that as a disadvantage. I NEVER shoot factory ammo through my .357's or my .44's. So if everything is reloaded, costs should be about the same. I carry factory loads and fire the old ones during rotation but other than that, I'm not paying what the factories want for either one of them!

Gregg