.44 special help

stinkeypete

I’ve fooled with grips quite a bit and my opinion is that rubber grips make little or no difference unless they are simply a better fit to your hand.

My hand wears size M gloves and the rubber grips have all been too big for my hand and so I had a harder time with recoil. On the other hand, I seem to really like the Bisley grips- and this seems to depend on hand size or personal preference because some folks hate them.

The biggest thing about reducing the kick is to slow down the bullet. Now as for 200 grains of lead going 550 FPS... ain’t nobody going to volunteer to squat behind home plate and try to catch that pill. It’s more energy than the black powder revolver loads of the day.

I took out my Bisley Blackhawk .44 magnum a few days ago. It’s been about 15 years since I lit it off. I knew I wanted to make some softer loads for it so I lit off some stout factory hunting loads first just to remember why. HOLY CRAP! The mind remembered what I used to do, the body was shouting “cut that out or I’m gonna punish you with a serious flinch or push!” Four was enough, I didn’t want to do six.

Working with Unique, I’m on my way to a fun to shoot load. I may pick up some Trail Boss powder as all the boys are talking about it.

Now I remember what was fun about those big boomer loads- controlling the fear and anticipations that resulted in pulled or pushed shots, working out with rubber balls to increase hand strength... now that I’m of a certain age all that has lost it’s interest for me. Fun to shoot is where I am at, too. No need to beat up paper targets so hard.

As has been said, .44 Special is one of the easiest cartridges to learn to reload on. I suspect you could buy all the gear and supplies you need to make a lot a lot of custom soft shooting loads for about the cost of 5 boxes of ammunition.

reteach

stinkeypete - I agree with just about every word you wrote. The grip issue is mostly about filling in between the trigger guard and the grip. I have hopes for this BK adapter taking care of that.The low-recoil ammo takes care of the rest.

I, too, used to enjoy shooting .357 mag and an occasional .44 mag (owned a Ruger .44 carbine once and borrowed others' .44 mag Blackhawks).

And yeah, I should set up to reload for .44 and .32.

dogdoc

Texas grips makes a larger grip for the ruger 44 special grip frame.purchased 2 pairs, the extend beneath the grip frame and give you much more purchase

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

reteach

Thanks, dogdoc. I will contact them and make sure they fit my odd frame size.

I did receive the BK adapter mentioned above. It fits very well, even though it's not made for this gun. I haven't had a chance to get to the range. It feels great in the hand, so maybe this will be the fix. If those Texas grips fit, from the looks of them, they along with the BK would work really well. Wish the web site had photos of grips on guns.

ThomasT

I have a BH 44 mag and like to shoot reduced loads with a 240gr lead bullet pushed by 5grs of Bullseye. Its a pop gun load but still has noticeable recoil. And I have a Houge grip on the gun to get the extra length. Lighter bullets would help. And no the rubber grip didn't help with recoil. The sharp edge of the bottom grip frame was digging into my palm. The longer grip fixed that.

But it really sounds like its time to maybe look for a 38 special target gun. Maybe something like a S&W model 14. Or a model 15 with 4" barrel. Shooting wadcutter loads from those guns is a real pleasure compared to the bigger bores but they are not recoiless like a 22. You still get the feeling you fired a gun.

reteach

This is kinda old, but I thought I would update the post. Been away from home for a while, so this project was put aside. Now I'm back and here's what I've come up with:

The Hogue grips will not fit. No help there at all. So I added an adapter from BK Grips, which felt good and filled in behind the trigger guard. That's the first pic.

Then dogdoc suggested Texas Grips, who make extended grip panels that add about a quarter inch to the length of the grip. They work with the BK adapter. That's the second pic.

Still need to take it all to the range, but so far it feels like it will work to solve my wimpy hand problems. It sure ain't pretty, but then neither are the Hogues.

attachment.php

attachment.php

Attachments

• Blackhawk BK3ed2.jpg
    Blackhawk BK3ed2.jpg
    54.3 KB · Views: 93
  • Blackhawk grip3ed2.jpg
    Blackhawk grip3ed2.jpg
    54.5 KB · Views: 92
Last edited: