.44 magnum vs. .357 magnum

Cool_Hand

In your theory everyone should carry a 500 mag because it can do what the next smaller caliber does better and its a bigger projectile

L_Killkenny

There is no way to argue against the fact .44M is more versatile than a .357M. But then again a .223 or .30-30 is more versatile than a .22LR too. Larger caliber guns can always be loaded heavier than smaller caliber guns. Squib and reduced loads can turn about any cartridge into a small game slayer.

But at what cost? Weight? Ammo cost? Reloading cost and time? Recoil? Ammo weight? Capacity? Availability? Etc. Etc.

For a guy going squirrel hunting a .22Lr is the most logical gun. Not that he can't grab a centerfire and work up some great loads for the job but in most cases it doesn't make sense. Same can be said for a guy that lives in an area where the extra power of the .44M over a .357M isn't required. Sure he can carry a .44M but why deal with the downsides. And there is downsides even if they are small.

The fact remains that .44 ammo cost more, components for reloading cost more and neither is as available as the ammo and components for the .38S/.357M.

LK

Last edited:

jmr40

I came to the same conclusion several years ago and sold all my 357's after getting used to my 3" and 4" Smith 629's. The Smith 686 and Ruger GP-100's I sold were only a tiny bit smaller in size. A few years ago and found a good deal on a Smith 28. My only 357 at this time. I just couldn't pass on it.

Obviously the 44 when loaded hot is much more powerful. Usually more powerful than needed, but I usually shoot mid level loads which are much more useful. But full power loads are available if needed

Not everyone will agree, but it is my opinion that hot loaded 44 specials are a better option than 357 mags for SD purposes. They are at least as effective without all the recoil and muzzle blast you get from 357 mag loads.

It is true that the 357 is offered in smaller 5 shot revolvers better suited for CC. I had a 2.5" Ruger SP-101 for a while and have no desire to shoot 357's from a gun that small again. Just my opinion, but a small 38 revolver, 380 or 9mm pistol is better suited for those purposes.

I buy most of my ammo from Georgia Arms. They sell 240 gr hollowpoints for $27/50 rounds in 44 mag. The 158 gr hollowpoint 357 mags are $26.50/50 rounds. Price of ammo is not an issue.

Last edited:

Idahoser

I like to shoot .44 Special the most out of any of the calibers that will fit in any of the guns mentioned here. So .44 Magnum, because it leaves me the option of using more power if I need it, while giving me sufficient power in the 'light' load as opposed to the .38 Special which I don't feel particularly close to.

Shooting magnums from either is unpleasant in sound, flash, and usually recoil; but I can handle it when I need to shoot that, I just choose not to mostly.

You won't get a 6-shot .44 in less than a large frame, so the .357 has the edge in versatility- it's a lot harder to conceal the large frame.

If you can only have one gun, the .357 is the obvious choice, but luckily I am not stuck with just one. I don't plan to get rid of any .357's just because I like the .44 better.

efield

Ginger, or Mary Ann?
Jeanie!!

I took this a step back in my thinking. I use .44 special for SD carry sometimes and since .357 chambered weapons will not shoot .44 caliber ammunition, I have to choose .44 magnum.

salvadore

If a chargin griz was coming my way I would want the mostest power, but if a chargin griz was coming my way the shooter that I always carried cause it was convenient would be OK too.

gun.jpg

WVfishguy

I like the .41 and .44 magnums, reload for both, but I've probably got 10 different loads for the .357/.38.

If I was forced to have one revolver, it would be the .357. I have a 187 grain gas check I load to about 1,300 fps, and go down to a .38 LSWC load @ 800 fps which my wife uses to shoot paper targets.

Plus, there are just too many good .357 revolvers, including the Python, S&W Model 27, et al.

ksblazer

My choice is the .44 for most versitile

While the .44 mag is most likely not going to be ligher, have less recoil, may overpenetrate in some siuations or be quicker in follow up shots. I feel it it is a more versitle round than the .357. Especially when you go into bear or cougar country. And a .44 mag will definatly do the job against a 2 legged predator.

People here will have different opinions and this is just mine.

Sevens

The .44 magnum can handle any task that the .357 can handle. The reverse is not true.
What kind of a discussion is this? It's like you've made some statement, chipped it in to a stone tablet where it shall stand for thousands of years, never to be questioned. Even when folks respond directly and show you the things it can't do. 7 or 8 rounds in a .357, which cannot be done with a .44 Mag. Your response: The .44 Mag doesn't need the extra rounds.

Extremely lame.

From a handloader standpoint, there is much MUCH more affordable brass in .38 Spl and .357 Mag than there ever will be in .44 Spl and .44 Mag combined. And using slugs that weigh a hundred less grains means much cheaper bullet with lower powder charges. You can buy more of them or cast more if that's your thing. You can even ship many, MANY more of them for the same shipping cost because they are so much smaller and lighter.

.38 Special is the most friendly handgun cartridge a new handloader could ever start with, bar none, for many reasons.

Sevens

I don't think there is another cartridge made that has as horrible a firing note as this cartridge,the 44 mag included.
I prefer any other cartridge to the God Awful Sounding 357.
Now here's a guy that hasn't ever lit off a .30 Carbine round from a Ruger Blackhawk! :D

Big Bill

Forget any parameters, which cartridge would serve the one gun man the best?
What Sport45 said. Roy, it does depends on the man. As I get older, I find the 44 mag a little too imposing. And, there is nothing I do that a 357 mag. won't handle nicely. The cartridge is more plentiful than 44 mag.; and I can carry a smaller gun (SP101).

A 44 mag is for young bucks that have an overabundance of testosterone. Once a man settles down and comes to his senses, he'll see the wisdom of a 357 mag.

:D

Last edited:

roy reali

re:Sevens

.38 Special is the most friendly handgun cartridge a new handloader could ever start with, bar none, for many reasons.

Extremely illogical.

I guess .44 Specials are for handloaders with advanced degrees in mechanical engineering. .44 magnums are only for bored rocket scientists.

Sevens

Not illogical at all, whatsoever.
Open your mind just a bit and tell me which (between .38 Special and .44 Special)

...brass is easier to find for sale?
...brass is cheaper to buy?
...cast lead bullet selection is more plentiful?
...plated bullet selection is more plentiful?
...jacketed bullet selection is more plentiful?
...any type of bullet is less costly?
...for which is load data more plentiful and easy to find?

All of these make the .38 Special friendlier at the load bench than .44 Special.

All of these are real (not imagined) and valid reasons why .38 Special has the edge over .44 Special at the load bench. And .357 over .44 Mag, too.

If your mind is made up and even facts won't change it... I'm curious why you wanted to discuss it?

Scout1

Considering availability of factory loads, let alone what can be cooked up in the Mad scientist reloading laboratory, a 5-6" barrel medium to large frame .357 magnum revolver with its ability to also shoot 38 special of many different flavors, should cover the normal as well as abnormal situations a person might find himself in.

Of course, a SBS could not hurt either. In a pinch of course. Tee Hee......

roy reali

re:Sevens

All of these make the .38 Special friendlier at the load bench than .44 Special.

When I reloaded .44's they acted pretty friendly to me. I guess its how you approach the cartridge.

Are you saying there are thousands of .44's gathering dust in gun safes because components are too expensive and/or hard to find. Where I live components for both are readliy available and I live pretty much in the middle of nowhere.

Now, .44's do use bigger components, brass, bullets, etc. It could be argued that the bigger things are easier to handle. I find larger rounds easier to load for that reason, I don't have the greatest manual dexterity in the world.

If your mind is made up and even facts won't change it... I'm curious why you wanted to discuss it?

Excuse me!!!!!!!!!!! Who brought this up? I'll give you a clue...you.

Sevens

I wonder which round do you think is a more useful, all-around cartridge.
Forget any parameters, which cartridge would serve the one gun man the best?
The .44 magnum can handle any task that the .357 can handle. The reverse is not true.
Name one thing the .357 magnum can do better then the .44 magnum.

Excuse me!!!!!!!!!!! Who brought this up? I'll give you a clue...you.
You started this thread. Or was that some split personality? You open it like a discussion then you refute each fact as it's presented.

roy reali

Facts versus Fiction

I am going to reference The Speer Reloading Manual Number 13 for this response.

In .38Special/.357 magnum here is the range of loadings. In jacketed bullets you can start with a 110 grainer in a special case at around 900 feet per second. Or using a cast bullet you can start with a 147 grain bullet at just over 700 feet per second. Both mild and easy on any shooter. You switch to a magnum case and you can propel the heaviest bullet they make, a 158 grain at 1265 feet per second. A decent thumper.

Now lets look at what we can do with a revolver with .44 magnum written on the barrel. Using nonmagnum cases we can start with a jacketed 200 grain bullet at just over 800 feet per second or a lead bullet of 240 grains at 640 feet per second. Switching to magnum cases a 300 grain jacketed bullet can be shot at almost 1200 feet per second. Close to the same velocity obtained by a .357 magnum shooting a bullet about half the size.

Shooting the mild special loads in either cartridge shouldn't present a recoil issue for anyone. When I used to own a Colt Anaconda, my ten year old son used to shoot boxes of .44 Specials through it all day long. The difference is that the mild .44 loads are much better at stopping thugs then any mild .38 Special loads. Hunting? This is where any comparison between the two cartridges ends. There is no comparison between them when shooting game. The .357 magnum is marginal on deer at best. The .44 magnum is not at all marginal on deer and isn't the worst option when facing a bear. Granted, a rifle or shotgun is a better option against a bear, but the .44 magnum would give you a sporting chance. The .357 magnum against a bear, good luck!

So here it is in a nutshell. A .44 magnum loaded with mild loads can still be an effective defensive firearm. Cranked up, it can handle small to medium game. A .357 loaded with mild specials is the not the first choice for defense, and even loaded hot, not a good hunting choice.

In my opinion. The .44 magnum is a more versatile round for the man that has only one handgun.