44 Auto Mag

pbcaster45

Here's another load (same warnings as above) using a Barnes Bullet.

Bullet: Barnes 225 gr. XPB (all copper hollow point)
Powder: Hodgdon H-110 20.0 grs.
Primer: Winchester Large Pistol
Case: Starline
OAL: 1.615
Average Velocity: 1357 fps
ES: 64
SD: 23

Left to right: Loaded Barnes 225 gr., Barnes 225 gr. XPB, Hornady 240 grain XTP-HP, Sierra 240 gr. JHC, and loaded round with Hornady 240 gr. XTP-HP.

IMG-5730.jpg

The Barnes Bullet has a lot of bearing surface for its weight, but it feeds well and is accurate.

Still need to do more load development, I would like to get the velocity closer to 1400 fps.

Last edited:

44 AMP

Staff
The Barnes Bullet has a lot of bearing surface for its weight,

All copper bullets do that. They have to be longer than lead bullets of equal weight.

I don't run anything heavier than 240s, don't have any need, or see the point to doing so.

Be aware that the early data is SMOKIN HOT, and even more so if you are using formed cases. Early ads and claims they got 1600fps with 240s were not lies. But those loads are hard on the guns, 50Kpsi :eek: Parts broke early, bolt rotation pins were discovered to last 500-750 rounds in the 44 and about double that in the 357.

I hear the new guns are better in that regard, as well as some others. One improvement I can see in the pics is the rear sight screws! I have actually sheared off the heads of two windage and one elevation screw from recoil! and those originals are complicated (and a poor design) and there are damn few of them left.

I'm saving my pennies maybe someday I'll be able to get one of the new built guns. Love to see, and feel the differences.

pbcaster45

I'm perfectly happy making 1500 fps with a 240 gr Hornady from the long barrel. Trying to get 1600 fps from a 6.5 inch barrel? Not me! I keep the recoil rods tight and watch them closely, I think there's a real risk of breaking the cocking piece if it's allowed to wobble from being loose.

After the "That guy's shooting a Dirty Harry Gun!" dies down I've let a few people handle it and they are surprised how well it balances. I like the longer barrel for that (and the free extra horse power).

44 AMP

Staff
I've had good results with the product called "Guntite". haven't bought any in years, don't know if its still on the market. It is a low strength threadlocker that holds screws tight but allows easy removal with a screwdriver /allen wrench.

One small drop on the (degreased) recoil rod threads and they don't unscrew, yet come out easily with the wrench when you need them to.

Was sold under the Birchwood Casey name, I got a small tube years ago, and still have about half left.

In my guns the rods don't need to be super tight, just firmly snug, and the Guntite keeps them from backing out during use.

If that particular product isn't available, there are others that will do the job, just be sure NOT to use something intended to be permanent, or requiring heat to release. Loctite products come in a HUGE range of different formulas for different applications. DON'T use the wrong one!

44 AMP

Staff
I can't say it is the same stuff, unless we do comparisons of the MSDS (or whatever they have changed the data sheet names to these days). The stuff I have is the same size tube, has a green lable and was sold under Birchwood Casey name.

Uncle Mike's stuff is good (or at least everything of their's that I've tried has been) so it ought to work fine.

IN my old guns, when the rods are tight, the screw heads are flush with the frame.

pbcaster45

A 25-yard group with my final hunting load at 25 yards (Hornady 240 gr. XTP-HP). I wish I could brag about my amazing one-handed shooting ability, but this was off the bags and taking my time (probably 5 minutes!) I was getting feeding jams earlier in the month but a very light buffing of the frame part of the feed ramp completely eliminated those (so light a before and after photo would have looked the same). I still get maybe one stovepipe every 50 rounds but I'm pretty sure that's me being careless with my grip. Sending the barrel assembly off for the Mag-Na-Port process next week - hope that works as well as Kent Lomont suggested!

It goes without saying... don't rest the barrel on the bags!

IMG-5768.jpg

gwpercle

What do you mean ... Obscure !
The AMT 44 Auto-Mag co-starred with Clint Eastwood in Sudden Impact ...
1983 wasn't that long ago .
My Son-In-Law has one and it was a lot of fun to shoot ...
I couldn't afford a AMT Auto-Mag but I did get a AMT Hardballer in 45 acp and still have it to this day ... that AMT 44 Auto-Mag was suitable for taking any big game up to bears .
It was easier to shoot than a 44 magnum revolver ... I believe the slide soaked up some of the recoil ... or at least spread it out ... the DA S&W Revolver had a wicked kick ...
Might have also been the grip on the Auto-Mag that helped ...any how it was a fun gun to shoot !
Look at the target in post #28 ... that's how my SIL's shot ... accurate guns are interesting guns !
Gary

44 AMP

Staff
Similar names, different guns

A slight correction in terms is needed, because while the names are similar, the guns are very different.

The Auto Mag pistol (note, two words) was made by Auto Mag (not AMT), and after the original company went under, it was made by TDE until they went under, and then Hi Standard produced a very small number of guns before dropping the project.

AMT is Arcadia Machine & Tool and they produced the Automag (one word) pistols. Their guns were Automag II (.22WMR), Automag III (.30 carbine), Automag IV (.45Win Mag and 9mm Win Mag) and the Automag V (.50AE)

The AMT Automags are very different pistols from the original Auto Mag design. The AMT guns (other than the Automag II, which is a delayed blowback) use variations of the Browing tilt barrel lockup system. They have slides. The original Auto Mags, and the new Auto Mag in this thread use a multiple lug rotating bolt lockup, and don't have slides like most semi autos.

The .44AMP is easier to shoot than the .44 Mag revolver. Part of that is the much different grip shape, and part of that is that the Auto Mag is considerably heavier than most revolvers.

Harry Sanford was the "main man" behind the original Auto Mag company, and was hired by TDE to run its production of Auto Mag guns as well. After that, he went to work for AMT. Other than that, and the name sounding the same, but spelled differently, that's the only connection I know of between the original Auto Mags and AMT's Automag pistols.