44 Auto Mag

pbcaster45

CAUTION: The following post (or a page linked to) includes or discusses loading data not covered by currently published sources of tested data for this cartridge (QuickLOAD or Gordon's Reloading Tool data is not professionally tested). USE AT YOUR OWN RISK. Neither the writer, The Firing Line, nor the staff of TFL assumes any liability for any damage or injury resulting from the use of this information.

I had lots of fun working up loads for this obscure gun over the summer. Just in case someone is interested - here they are. Warning: These loads were worked up using commercial cases which have a higher capacity than cut down .308 Winchester and NATO Military brass. Start low and work up (like I did!)

Bullet: Sierra 180 gr. JHC
Powder: Winchester 296 29.1 grs.
Primer: Winchester Large Pistol
Case: Starline
OAL: 1.608
Average Velocity: 1700 fps
ES: 24
SD: 9

Bullet: Sierra 180 gr. JHC
Powder: Winchester 296 30.1 grs.
OAL: 1.610
Average Velocity: 1766 fps
ES: 27
SD: 9

Bullet: Hornady 200 gr. XTP-HP
Powder: Winchester 296 26.0 grs.
Primer: CCI-350
OAL: 1.600
Average Velocity: 1723 fps
ES: 40
SD: 16
Comment: More velocity with lesser charge when using Magnum Primer.

Bullet: Hornady 200 gr. XTP-HP
Powder: Winchester 296 27.0 grs.
OAL: 1.598
Average Velocity: 1659 fps
ES: 29
SD: 11

Bullet: Hornady 240 gr. XTP-HP
Powder: Winchester 296 23.5 grs.
OAL: 1.596
Average velocity: 1506 fps
ES: 29
SD: 10

Bullet: SBR 44 AMP 240 Grain Hornady XTP (Factory)
OAL: 1.600 – 1.605
Average Velocity: 1503 fps
ES: 24
SD: 8

New-44-AMP.jpg

Last edited:
Those are some pretty respectable velocities.

I note that those 296 loads exceed what Hodgdon lists (for H110; same powder as 296, but in the Hodgdon brand). I am not saying they are wrong or too high, especially not in your particular gun, but unless there is published data for the cartridge that equals or exceeds your charge and bullet weight combinations, you need to put the required warning at the top of your post.

44 AMP

Staff
ABSOLUTELY FREAKIN BEAUTIFUL!!!!

That's one of the new ones isn't it??

I had no idea they actually got any made. Fantastic!

Where can we get them, and how much?? ;)

The published loads in those manuals that actually list .44AMP are all done with the standard 6.5" barrel guns and every one I can remember also used the converted rifle cases.

Velocities for their top end loads are considerably slower than what you list you got with yours. I've had some experience loading those and commercial cases and shooting (and a bit of tinkering) with the El Monte guns I have. Would be happy to share and swap info with you about Auto Mags and everything related to them. I'm interested in the new guns, how they work, where they are the same, where they are different, from the originals.

GREAT LOOKING GUN!!! Bet it shoots well, too.

I have data from "wildcatters" in the 70s with some very HOT loads, 1600fps with 240s from 6.5" guns and more from 8inchers. Those loads do stress the gun and the life of some parts is rather short if you shoot them that hot.

Really, really great to see that gun, and its promise of more possible. Great score!! :D

pbcaster45

They are shipping about forty guns a month - but it is a very expensive. I waited nearly 3 1/2 years to get mine. Because I was so patient, they included the presentation case and coin. I had trouble with stovepipes early on but that went away after 200 rounds. I was not really lubricating the gun properly in the beginning and my ammo was underpowered. I especially had to pay more attention to lubricating the bolt rotation pin and the recesses for it in the bolt assembly. It's much more reliable than the older versions. Mine has been 100% reliable when I load the ammo to the power level it likes.

https://store.automag.com/

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ORUCly0nrbI

Here's a better picture. The polish job is just incredible - rivals the finish on a Colt Python!

DBCF0-B4-A-7379-4-AB8-A5-EC-1-0299-B3-F557.jpg

My eyes are not what they used to be, but it is very accurate. A couple of groups shot at 30 feet.

8-F58-EC1-D-EDCD-46-D3-B793-3073-E2-E5406-F.jpg

Last edited:

44 AMP

Staff
I did the disclaimer cut & paste.

A couple points to mention, NEVER drop a round into the chamber and let the bolt slam shut on it!! The gun could fire! Always feed from the magazine!

Keep an eye on the bolt rotation pin. The originals are known to crack.

I would also recommend NEVER letting the bolt slam shut on an empty chamber. Ease it closed when its empty. The one time I let one slam shut empty, the next time i handled it, I found the bolt rotation pin cracked. Now, that MAY have simply been coincidence, but I've made it a point to never let one slam shut empty, since.

Thanks for the info and the links, I'm looking forward to the new guns, and yes, I understand it will take time.

IF you've got any questions I might be able to help with, just ask!

pbcaster45

Time to work with the 44 AMP again! Working on a cast bullet load following data from Kent Lomont articles. He recommend a Lyman #429383 (255 grains with linotype), a magnum large pistol primer and 24-26 grains of W296.

First load failed to lock back slide, more testing needed. FOR SCIENCE!

Bullet: Matt’s Bullets Saeco #431 (.430 255 Gr. Flat Nose Gas Check)
Powder: Hodgdon H-110 22.1 grs.
Primer: Federal 155
OAL: 1.595

4-E4-A405-C-4538-4-E34-8690-8-BF443-C928-A5.jpg

44 AMP

Staff
The advantage to the recoil operation of the Auto Mag is that it doesn't care about lead bullets the way gas operated pistols do.

The disadvantage is that the gun will only run on rounds with enough recoil to work the action and that means, essentially full house loads only.

Another point to watch for, is that loads on the lighter end that work the action may not be enough to keep doing it when the gun starts getting dirty.

Long ago I had a load with Unique that worked fine, for about 30 rnds, then didn't have enough power to cycle the gun properly after that.

I have had loads with 296 up as high as 29gr with the lighter bullets, but found recoil to become painful, and I actually sheered off the head of the rear sight elevation screw from the recoil. Not a good idea. I think the new guns use a different screw for the sights, so that might not be an issue anymore.

pbcaster45

This load functions 100% and is similar in recoil to the SBR Factory load (minus the muzzle flash). Will chronograph it when the weather permits. Must be getting some serious velocity since I'm using a magnum primer and a cast bullet! No visible leading either.

Primers looks good...

42-EF7-AA5-B02-F-472-F-A41-A-E8-DCA1-D8-DCA8.jpg

Powder: Hodgdon H-110 23.6 grs.

Jim Watson

That is something I can say is interesting, neat, and kewl without the least interest in shooting. My only experience was a few rounds around 1976.

pbcaster45

Typical five shot group at 30 feet with the cast bullet load. No malfunctions and no leading! (sorry for the lousy cellphone picture!)

5-CF93-DD0-5621-46-C5-8029-57-B413-E522-B0.jpg

Last edited:

Japle

Several years ago, I bought an original TDE 6 1/2" .44AMP.
I think it was the last one finished the day the factory shut down. Full of burrs and tool marks. I couldn't open the bolt without pushing the muzzle against a hard surface to get it unlocked. Once I got the thing polished and lubed, it was fine.
Current loads:
180 gr Sierra JHC/32.5/WW296/CCI 350/1805 fps
240 Hornady JHP/25.5/WW296/CCI 350/1390 fps – light load
240 Hornady JHP/26.0/WW296/CCI 350/1440fps – very accurate
265 Hornady/22.5/WW296/CCI 350/1310fps

Oddly enough, all loads will group inside 4” at 50 yds from standing. I can mix them in the magazine and hit a row of clay pigeons set on the 50 yd berm.
This seriously freaks out the folks struggling to stay on the paper at 10 yds with their .22s.

I've added 10 1/2" barrels in .44AMP and .357AMP to my collection. The extra length gives me 2010 fps with the 180 gr bullet in the .44AMP. That's my favorite load.

pbcaster45

Wow! Those are impressive!

I finally had a chance to chronograph my cast bullet load, here are the results!

Powder: Hodgdon H-110 23.5 grs.
Average Velocity: 1466 fps
ES: 52
SD: 16

44 AMP

Staff
Looks like a fine load. Gun cycles well, is as accurate as you are ;), and a 250gr in the 1400fps range is serious business.

One of the things I've always loved about the Auto Mag (and other magnum semi auto pistols) is the difference in the feel during recoil from revolvers.

Personally I find .44 mag level loads less punishing and more pleasant to shoot from semi autos than from DA or even SA revolvers. PART of that is because the guns are generally bigger and heavier, but most of it is from the different shape of the grip.

I have Auto Mags, Desert Eagles, a Wildey, LAR Grizzly, S&W M29-2, Ruger Super Blackhawk, and a T/C Contender, The difference in feel is amazing.

Keep up the good work!!!

pbcaster45

When I first started shooting my 44 AMP I used a recoil glove. I found out that the glove wasn't necessary, the grip contour is very easy on the hands. I was also shooting it like a single action (letting it free recoil), that led to stovepipes. Thinking seriously about getting it Mag-Na-Ported (if they are still in business!) Kent Lomont in his writings said that porting would extend parts life... he's been right so far!

44 AMP

Staff
The Auto Mag really needs something to recoil against to run well.

It is not as tolerant as smaller, lighter easier working actions, it is a very specialized beast and needs to be fed and run just the right way or it gets cranky...:rolleyes: