44-40 revolver

Howdy Again

I have about five rifles at last count chambered for 44-40. Antiques and modern. Originally the bullet diameter for 44-40 was .427, but it could vary widely. Most (but not all) modern manufacturers are using the same .429 diameter barrels that they use for 44 Special/44 Mag. I have slugged all my 44-40 rifles. Interestingly enough, the groove diameter of my Uberti replica Winchester Model 1873 is the original diameter, .427. My Uberti replica Henry has a groove diameter of .429. Some of my antiques are .427, but a couple are .429.

Other than that Merwin Hulbert I posted a photo of, the only other revolver I have chambered for 44-40 is a double action Colt New Service.

plkcyxm5j

Regarding bullet diameter, I have compromised on .428 for all my 44-40 loads. My Black Powder bullets are soft enough that the .428 bullets probably bump up enough to fill the grooves of my .429 Henry, and they also work fine in my rifles with .427 groove diameters. I have never been able to get an accurate measurement on the groove diameter of the Merwin Hulbert because the rifling has five grooves. But the .428 bullets work just fine in it.

Jim Watson

Not commonly seen, largely because it doesn't fit CAS, the Remington 14 1/2 pump is a nice little .44-40. It has been reported to have a smaller groove diameter than other makes, down around .425".