44-40 revolver

Peter R

Looking for a little bit of input. I have a 44–40 Rossi And thanks to some of you who have commented on that post I am successfully reloading for it.
Now I am looking to pick up a Single action cowboy style revolver.
Will most likely be buying new. Any particular makes or manufactures you would suggest I look at, or stay away from.
Thanks.
Peter

Rockrivr1

I've been shooting a Uberti Cattleman in 44-40. I've lost count on how many rounds but has to be well into the thousands and she runs like a top.

44caliberkid

Uberti made SAA's are great revolvers and are sold by Taylor's and Cimarron in many variations. Pietta also makes a nice Colt replica and they are sold by EMF under the Great Western name. Check out their websites, many options as far as grips, finishes and factory tuned actions. Take your pic and have fun.

44 Dave

When you get one (or 2) you might want to slug the barrel as there is quite a variation in .44-40. As you may know.
Have herd that early Rugers used the same barrels on their .44 Mag ,they like a .431.

Centurion

I've suggested Taylor's because at a moderate price you can get a tuned revolver. But any other importer or brand could offer you good pieces, too.

Savvy_Jack

All importers as well as manufactures seem to have up and down years. Uberti certainly has better quality all the way around. Parts are available.

Taylor's does seem to be the better importer.

Disclaimer: There is a reason why I don't gamble!!!!

Savvy_Jack

Another thing to consider when you swap to Rifle/Revolver combination. If you are cowboy shooting, plinking or wanting a load for both, Unique is probably the better of the pistol powders.

If you are looking for rifle accuracy at long distanced backed with original ballistics, better stick to mid-range rifle powders like 2400, IMR4227, Reloder 7.

PDF - VIEW file https://drive.google.com/file/d/1CVNFGuF5Z4yNBG90GvWqkc_NjlE8Nl46/view?ths=true

Last edited:

Jbar4Ranch

New, I think your only choices for .44-40 are Uberti and Pietta. Heritage doesn't make one yet, and I think Standard Manufacturing is only in .45 Colt. Colt will probably make you one too, if you have deep pockets and can wait a few months for it. Used USFA's are floating around, but pricey. AWA's too.

I'm pretty sure everybody standardized on .429" barrels several decades ago, even Colt. The problem with the Vaquero is chamber throats tended to be slightly undersize in .44-40, and grossly undersize in .38-40. I rented a throat reamer for my three .38-40's, but the four .44-40's I currently have, I just use a .428" bullet, and they work fine. Actually, I size all my .44-40 cast bullets to .428", so I don't have to keep different bullet sizes on hand, or loaded .44-40 with two different bullets on the shelf.

TFJ

If you can afford and find one in good to excellent condition, go for a Merwin & Hulbert Frontier:

https://www.gunsinternational.com/gu...n_id=101415311

I would buy one if living in the states!

If you lived in the states you would soon realize that Merwin Hulberts are not falling out of trees.

Trust me on this.

plcAM7Ijj

RickB

'm pretty sure everybody standardized on .429" barrels several decades ago, even Colt.

Factory ammo has "always" used .427" bullets, so it would be kind of weird for them to standardize on a non-standard spec.
Colt actually used the same .427" barrels on their .44 Russian and .44 Special sixguns.

Hawg

Factory ammo has "always" used .427" bullets, so it would be kind of weird for them to standardize on a non-standard spec.

I've had three modern 44-40 repros and they all had .429 bores. One came with a 44-40 cylinder and a .44 special cylinder.

Jbar4Ranch

Of my 34 modern .44-40's, all but one slugged .429", give or take half a thousandth. One, a Navy Arms imported Uberti 1875 Remington, measures about .4315". In all fairness, I've never pulled a factory .44-40 bullet and mic'd it, so they could very well be .427", I suppose.

Ruger did a really weird thing with the .38-40's they made for Lipsey's, and no one really has a definitive answer why. They used a proper forty cal barrel, but made the chamber mouths way undersize at about .396". One story I've heard is the only jacketed factory ammo available at the time was a Winchester offering that used a .396" bullet, so that's how they cut the cylinders. Who knows.

Jbar4Ranch

I rummaged around in the back room, found a box of Remington 200 grain jacketed soft points (R4440W), and pulled three of them...

... they actually measure only .426". Interesting.

Attachments

• R4440W.jpg
    R4440W.jpg
    141.8 KB · Views: 53

44 Dave

Guess the ammo. manufactures figure if the bullet rattles down the barrel it won't build enough pressure to blow up those old .44s.

Centurion

If you lived in the states you would soon realize that Merwin Hulberts are not falling out of trees.

Trust me on this.

plcAM7Ijj
Totally trust you. But trust me it is even harder to find one here in South America. I didn't buy one at a local auction a couple of years ago, action damaged but capable of being fixed, for a hundred bucks, and I'm still crying for it...

sdrnavy91

I have had a Cimarron 1873 catteman for one year, biggest POS I ever bought...in 44-40... Full cock position, it won't lock up . Hits off center on the primers. Miss fires. Cimarron refuses to give an RA number. 2 licensed gunsmiths have worked on it. Still mis-fires.. A range embarrassment. Do not depend on these guns to save your life. Especially the Cattleman 2. Waste of money. !!! Gun still won't fire a full cylinder without misfires with any ammo. !! Cimarron says a 5 year year warranty , Good luck getting them to fix it !! Email, or phone calls don't work !!! Warranty is a joke !!