410 question.

I don't know when manufactures decided to bored 410 barrels to 3" as my little Iver Johnson 410 a turn of the 19 th century shotgun originally shot 2-1/2 hulls only. Knowing that piece of info I took my shotgun to a store front Gunsmith and had my barrels chamber re-bored to accept 3". Shot load went from 1/2 oz to 3/4 oz. and that is a 50% increase in shot weight and doing that made my 410 a genuine 30 yard bunny thump-er.

doofus47

Wow you guys are great. I'm learning a whole lot about shot guns that I didn't know at all.

SHR970: doofus47: how many *'s on the barrel if any? The biggest problem with 410's to this day is that they are choked either FULL or MOD. based on the card wads used in the past. If you are lucky you have a *** barrel which means IC.

I just went and looked for any ** marks. I don't see any. I'll tear it down and see if there's a mark under the wood when I get a chance next weekend.

SHR970

Should be visible w/o taking wood off. Left side of barrel just forward of receiver. Or as I just learned it could also be a number in a box. link

old roper

I have Rem 1100 matched pair 28ga & .410 skeet set with the factory double gun case. I purchased them new and my set is low # and I've shot skeet with both.

Double K

I've hunted with 410's exclusively for over 15 years, use either remington or winchester 3" #5's on rabbits , shoot a couple shots at a pop can on a dirt bank from 25yds back to see where the pattern is hitting, you may find that it's a little high or low with inexpensive guns.
Not a big deal especially hunting rabbits or squirrels, you'll have to remember where to hold.
I'm normally a Browning O/U guy but love just about any 410 especially funky ones so when I seen this one at the LGS a few years ago couldn't resist buying it.
Mossberg.

If you really want to have fun buy a ritz cracker thrower and a box of #9's.