.410 for HD?

Kmar40

Selecting a .410-bore as a HD shotgun makes about as much sense as selecting a .25 ACP for your HD pistol.

You need to look at your ballistic tables again. You're couldn't be more wrong if you were kissing your brother.

Scattergun Bob

Kmar40

You need to look at your ballistic tables again. You're couldn't be more wrong if you were kissing your brother.
Your comments are a form of Puffery.

I can find actual evidence of defensive shootings with both 20 gauge and 12 gauge, to include autopsy and forensic data. I can not find any for .410.

So, either provide some data or I will continue to consider your comments puffery. Puff·ery Pronunciation: \ˈpə-f(ə-)rē\ Function: noun Date: 1782 : exaggerated commendation especially for promotional purposes or a opinion expressed as fact with no supporting data.
good Luck & Be Safe

corvairkid64

Didn't intend to start an argument.... I was just asking questions as a beginner.
Again thanks to all who gave advice without put-down.
Regards,
Ken

nogo

In the Mossberg line the only malfunctions I've had have been with the .410 pump. I've owned three--all with feed problems.

WVfishguy

Mas Ayoob writes an account of a car thief being killed by a .410 while trying to run over the owner of the car. The thief was killed when the car owner shot through the car window, using .410 bird shot. :
Swear to God!:eek:
nogo, I'd never accuse you of lying, but how do you get a pump gun to malfunction? That seems as likely as getting a stovepipe in a slingshot.:confused:

SigP6Carry

I could see .410 malfunctioning in almost anything other than a single/double shot. It's a weird little round that I can see feeding issues with... but, yeah, it's hard to misfeed a pump

mete

Reduced Recoil loads are the best way for HD.They do the job well with minimal recoil.An auto would make it even less difficult to handle for the recoil sensitive.For smaller people a youth model is a good idea as recoil is accentuated if the gun doesn't fit.
Always understand that if you shoot the BG may die no matter what your intent .Never be nice to a BG .Many citizens have died with that feeling !!!

corvairkid64

Thanks!

Thank you again to everyone!

Still haven't made up my mind... haven't ruled anything out.
Taking the wife to a friends gun club Saturday to try out an assortment of guns in 12, 20, and .410.
The Mossberg Field/Security (12ga) combo #54169 may be a possibility.

Still waiting for my NJ Firearm Purchase ID card, so I can't buy anything yet.

TX Hunter

For a Lady to use, I would recomend a Mossberg 500 20 Guage Youth Model.
The Mossberg Action is easy to use, and very reliable, and if you get a Youth model, it will fit the smaller frame of a Lady much better.
Plenty of Power lower recoil, it would be a good home defense shotgun.

TYM2MOTR

Another suitable for a womam HD consideration is Mossberg's new 18.5" 510 Mini Bantam, comes in both 20Ga and 410 (of the two for HD count me in the 20ga preference crowd). Here's the link to take a look @ both...no specs listed there though...

http://www.mossberg.com/products/default.asp?id=22&display=desc

<< these specs are from CTD.com >>

Manufacturer: Mossberg 50485
Item: 61871

Specifications and features:
Mossberg Model 510 Mini Super Bantam pump-action shotgun
20 gauge
18.5" barrel
Vent rib
3" chamber
Up to 4 round capacity with 2-3/4" shells
Adjustable synthetic stock