.400 Legend

taylorce1

Mehavey said:
FWIW: Today's ARs ain't "light"

You are correct mostly, they can be built light if you're willing to drop the money. I'm also sure you'll see bolt action rifles come along soon in this cartridge. I'm sure Winchester XPR, Ruger American Ranch, and CVA Cascade will be among the first.

FrankenMauser

It doesn't cost much more to build a light AR, than it does to build a boat anchor.
I have a lower/upper combination that has a 20" 'standard' barrel profile and still weighs less than my 7.5" AR pistol. (The pistol is, admittedly, heavy for the class - still topping 6 lb.)

The problem for the average owner is all the garbage that they bolt to it, because that's what all the cool pictures show on the interwebs and in the movie films.

"Gotta git yerself one o them pencil barrels and sooper carbon toobs, and put em on da Mk VII Mod 5 V3 Rev.19 receiver sets, an then bolt nifty muzzkle deevises and flashlights and lasers and hand stops and quiet cans and magnifiers and dot sites and speshul chargin handles and quadroople magazines and quick change sling mounts and angled backup sights and tool holders and hunnerd-way adjustable stocks and anti-walk links for FCG pins and ambi safeties and ambi mag realeses and kustom dust covers and winter triggers and bipods and sirens and ranch dip holders to it."

"Light" ARs

tangolima

I have an A2 clone with 20" barrel. When I swapped out the upper with a newish 18" Wylde upper, it became significantly heavier. I have none of those winky dings on the rifle. Everything is basic and cheap. The difference is the barrel and handguard. The latter has fluted, but yet heavier, barrel and aluminum free float handguard. The new upper shoots better groups, but only marginally better.

-TL

Sent from my SM-N960U using Tapatalk

taylorce1

FrankenMauser said:
It doesn't cost much more to build a light AR, than it does to build a boat anchor.
Depends on your definition of light. Building a sub 6 lbs AR-15 rifle isn't hard. However, building a sub 4 lbs AR-15 is a wholly different animal.

FrankenMauser

Depends on your definition of light. Building a sub 6 lbs AR-15 rifle isn't hard. However, building a sub 4 lbs AR-15 is a wholly different animal.
Indeed. However;
The average person isn't going to see a 4-lb AR fitting into the "light" category.
They'd push it on down the line to "super light" or "ultra light".

attachment.php

Attachments

• line-graph (1).png
    line-graph (1).png
    20.2 KB · Views: 216

MarkCO

Drifting off of the caliber 400L a bit. But my lightest .450BM was right at 8.5 pounds scoped. A 5ish pound 400L...might be a bit of a kick, even though it is a gas gun. I am still intrigued a little to see if the market can support the 450BM, 350L, 360Buckhammer and the 400L. I'm not sure that these newer cartridges don't spell trouble for the .450BM.

FWIW, in reference to post #28, my lightest AR is also my cheapest. GWACS lower, mil-spec trigger, Burris RDS, Pencil barrel, 15" Mlok HG...5.5# complete and even with the Red dot, under $1K easy, like I can have a case of ammo with it for under $1K. It was easy to build. And I am not sure I'd want to have that in a thumper caliber.

Buckeye!

The 400 Legend ballistically reminds me of the 375 Winchester.. I once owned a Marlin 336er and a Winchester 94 BB in 375 win .. never was able to reach factory published velocity..I guess it was tested in a 24 in h barrel.. but still was a thumper

With a 200 grain bullet in my 375 Winchester I was able to get 2100 FPS

The 400 L supposedly with a 215 grain bullet reaches 2450 FPS with a 20 inch barrel

I think with a .400 240 gr Hardcast bullet the 400L will make great Black Bear cartridge

In 1983-84 Winchester developed the 400 Winchester.. a straight walled cartridge
.. developed but not produced . It was to be used in the 94 BB

Last edited: