.38spl Long Range Ballistic Stability

B. Lahey

A .38spl projectile was fired and struck a person 500 yards away. The bullet apparently entered the torso in a fully yawed state (completely sideways). Does the .38spl typically lose ballistic stability and yaw at long range on its own, or does a completely unstable projectile at that distance indicate that it must have first struck something at some point in its flight, causing it to become unstable?

The projectile appears to the naked eye to be completely undeformed, with deep rifling impressions.

This is not a hypothetical question.

Sevens

My first question would be... are we certain this was .38 Special? And the reason I ask is that because -MANY- (not all) but many .38 Special and .357 Magnum loads will run the same bullet and we'll need to keep in mind that a lighter .38 Special load and a full-bore .357 Magnum load are at far, far differing ends of the velocity spectrum.

Depending on bullet weight and the firearm it was launched from (or more to the point, the length of the barrel it was launched from...) we could see muzzle velocities ranging from 700 FPS to 1,600 FPS.

I'm no mathematician, ballisitician or forensic scientist, but I think it would matter a lot.

Nick_C_S

Given enough time, any and all bullets will eventually yaw. Although, most all the time, something stops their path before that happens (a target or the ground). Even fired in the vacuum of space, gyroscopic procession dictates that they will eventually go into a yaw orientation (and then back into a straight orientation, and so on. . . )

Back to reality: There a many bullet profiles for 38 Special / 357 Magnum. And some of those profiles - particularly those designed for close-range target shooting - lend themselves to yaw over a short range.

So yes, it is possible that after 500 yards, the "38 bullet" could indeed be in a completely sideways orientation on its own.

Erno86

I've had Seller & Bellot, 38 Special wadcutters, keyhole on my target paper at 25 & 50 yards --- while using my S&W M19 snubbie.

B. Lahey

My first question would be... are we certain this was .38 Special? And the reason I ask is that because -MANY- (not all) but many .38 Special and .357 Magnum loads will run the same bullet and we'll need to keep in mind that a lighter .38 Special load and a full-bore .357 Magnum load are at far, far differing ends of the velocity spectrum.

Depending on bullet weight and the firearm it was launched from (or more to the point, the length of the barrel it was launched from...) we could see muzzle velocities ranging from 700 FPS to 1,600 FPS.

I'm no mathematician, ballisitician or forensic scientist, but I think it would matter a lot.

It was a .38spl hollowpoint (.38spl marked casings) of unknown weight (but I would say in the 158gr neighborhood judging by the length of the projectile in the autopsy photo, which I can't share at this point, unfortunately) fired from a .357 revolver with a short barrel (can't say how long, haven't been able to inspect the gun yet).

Thanks for the assistance.

SaxonPig

A bullet...any bullet...should not "keyhole" like that regardless of range. Turning in flight means something didn't gel with the bullet/rifling. Could be a very wrong twist rate or a bullet that is way undersized.

And who the hell is shooting at people from 500 yards with a 38 Special? And hitting them, no less? I'm not sure I could see people at 500 yards let alone hit them with a 38.

Now tell me it was a 2" snubbie...

SSA

I would not expect yawing or tumbling.
But, if this was a nearly vertical shot, it might have been tumbling pretty much all the way down from the apex.

g.willikers

Wouldn't it be natural for any bullet to yaw when losing momentum as the velocity deteriorates, as it would at very long distances?
500 yards would seem to be definitely that for a .38.
And as SSA says, if it had run out of steam and was just falling and tumbling in the airstream.

Jim Watson

Depending on the ballistic coefficient - the bullet is not identified - a 158 gr .38 at mv 800 fps would be doing 400-580 fps at 500 yards.
I would have thought that enough to remain stable and point on, but it is said not not to have in this instance. That was one unlucky character to collect a pistol bullet under those conditions.

Sevens

I'm not sure I could see people at 500 yards
Reconsider what you just wrote... or try to see objects at 500 yards at your next opportunity.

Failing those, visit an ophthalmologist. ;)

If I can hit an 8-inch round steel gong at 200 yards with an open sighted rimfire pistol, I should really hope that you can see an average size human person at 500 yards if you were trying... and they weren't attempting to hide from you.

T. O'Heir

Really not enough info given. Too many variables.
Very much doubt any .38 would get to 500 yards with enough energy to penetrate anything, never mind a human body. Energy of a 158 grain LWC(755 fps MV. 689 fps at 100) at 100 is only 167 ft-lbs. with a drop of 8.4".
Out of a .357 the same bullet has 361 ft-lbs at 100 staring at 1235 fps.
A jacketed bullet has a bit more but not much. A Hornady 158 xtp runs 198 ft-lbs at 100.
Handgun ballistics tables don't go to 500, but I suspect a 158 out of a .38 will hit the ground before it gets that far. Depending on the angle it was fired at of course.
"...projectile appears to the naked eye to be completely undeformed..." It would be if it did penetrate.

W5TVW

500 yard shots with snubby .38 special?

This is rather stretching the situation a bit, isn't it? Who would pop a 500 yard shot from a .38 Special revolver at a human size target? Rather a "longshot" try isn't it?

I can usually hit a gallon milk jug from 50-70 yards easily 4-5 times with a Colt model 1 "Detective's Special" with a 2" barrel with a two hand hold rested on a sandbag rest. This with 158 grain RN cast round nose bullets loaded with a moderate (not HOT) WW-231 powder load. Wish my 380 ACP Ruger LC380 was this good a shooter! (Too much slide/frame "windage slop" in the weapon!)

Colt46

at 500 yards

Normal velocity loss would have a stable bullet traveling around 600fps. If it shows deep rifling grooves then the barrel isn't shot out.
I would say it encountered something close to terminal impact that caused the yaw. Once it starts to yaw it's velocity would shed very quickly.

My curiosity is piqued. Keep us updated with any further

Gazpacho

Assuming it wasn't an accidental discharge, it would probably taken a severe sociopath to shoot at a person at 500 yards. Now if that sociopath were shooting at a crowd of people at 500 yards, the odds of hitting someone go up dramatically.

You mentioned that the bullet showed little or no deformation. Yet, it was a hollow point. That would make some sense as the loss of velocity might be below the minimum needed to open up the hollow point.

You mentioned the bullet was yawed at impact. A defect in the rifling of the revolver, or a severe defect in the weight distribution in the bullet seem to me to be the most likely causes.

It would not take much penetration to cause a fatal wound. 4 or 5 inches might be enough to damage a major artery. Damage near the heart to the aorta, either of the brachial arteries, the ascending or descending arteries, could bleed out the victim very quickly. If it was a child that was struck, yeah I could see this happening.

From the wording and the timing of the OP, I would guess that this was a 4th of July shooting, and the victim was just watching the fireworks. I would put my money on a Detroit suburb. :(

SSA

Say you have a 158 gr bullet, BC .150, 750 fps MV.
Target is at 20 yards. Somebody overshoots the target by 3 feet and misses the backstop.
At 500 yards, the bullet is back down to the original elevation and going over 500 fps. That's not enough to make the bullet expand, but plenty for penetration. It carries about 100 ft-lb KE.
The only thing that's hard to explain in this scenario is the keyholing.

Jim243

A .38spl projectile was fired and struck a person 500 yards away

If I understand you correctly, a 125 grain bullet fired with 5.6 grains of powder went the distance of 5 football fields end to end and landed sideways.

That must have been one hell of a holdover on that shot and your asking about ballistics and if this is normal?

No, it is not normal to try to shoot 500 yards with a 38 Spl. (for good reason)

Jim

Was this done with a PCC and if so how long was the barrel?

SaxonPig

"If I can hit an 8-inch round steel gong at 200 yards with an open sighted rimfire pistol..." Congratulations. This is has zero bearing on what I can or cannot do. At 500 yards we are talking well over a quarter of a mile. My 59 year old eyes cannot clearly distinguish a man sized target at that range. I can't see the black part of a pistol target at 50 yards. Just a fuzzy blob to me. Good for you if you have no idea what I'm talking about and can't imagine it. Consider yourself fortunate.