.380 recoil

madmag

It is a locked breech .380.

That's the key issue. Not many locked breech .380's now days, but that makes all the difference. Even with alloy frame a locked breech .380 will be very tame.

GeorgeF

Yet one more thread that allows me to rave about the virtues of my Colt Mustang Pocketlite. Stainless slide on aluminum frame. Locked breech. 14 ounces. I carry it in my pocket all the time (unless I have my SigTac coat on) and I forget its there.

Comfortable to shoot and decent accuracy. I wish they would make it again and I wish Crimson Trace would make grips for it. Other than that its awesome.

My PP and Sig 230 have significantly more 'bite' to them even though they weighed more.

jeo556

.380 Magnum recoil......

Okay, Okay, Okay.....Agree to disagree. But If you guys are looking for a "light" recoiling .380 then take a look at the Bersa thunder. It is not too small and due to its all steel construction I can assure you that there is almost no kick at all. It would be an ideal carry piece for someone with small to medium hands and it's not too heavy, at least not for me. While we're talking about .380's, what do you guys think is a good carry round? I currently have the Cor-bon 90 gr. in her right now but I'm wondering If I'd be better suited with a FMJ that might penetrate a little more. I'm up for suggestions.

jeo556

madmag

But If you guys are looking for a "light" recoiling .380 then take a look at the Bersa thunder. It is not too small and due to its all steel construction I can assure you that there is almost no kick at all.

The Bersa .380 has alloy frame. Least last time I checked. I do agree it is a good gun. I owned one.

imatt

The Bersa .380 has alloy frame. Least last time I checked. I do agree it is a good gun. I owned one.

Indeed. My dad bought the newer Bersa Thunder CC, and it kicks a LOT less than my P3AT. A good deal larger though. Fired them both at the range Saturday.

ZBoater

Having owned two Bersa (380 and 380CC), I have to say they are a bit snappier than my compact 9mms. (I still have the PPK, and it is snappier). There were easier to carry, though.

Jkwas

I've shot several .380 PPK style pistols (including the FEG) and so has my wife. IMO the 38 snub with +p is a less punishing gun to shoot, but shooting .357 out of a snub is a little more brutilizing than the .380. The small 9mm's, like the Taurus Milpro kick less than either of them.

AK103K

Just what the hell are you people shooting out of your .380's that they have more or harsher recoil than a .38+P or 357MAG, out of any gun?

I know some .380's have more felt recoil than others, but the comparison to a hot .38 or a .357 is a little out of whack here, dont you think?

madmag

I know some .380's have more felt recoil than others, but the comparison to a hot .38 or a .357 is a little out of whack here, dont you think?

The .380 seems more felt recoil to me than .38spl+P. In my case .357 mag does seem more...not less. In any case I think it has to do with the blow back design. Also, the .380 case is short and I think has a fast pressure build compared to the oversize (originally for black powder) case of the .38spl. To me my Bersa .380 and my Son's Sig 232 both seemed more recoil than a .38spl. For SD I shot Corbon .380. Thats about as hot as you can get in a .380. Also, my XD9 (9mm) seems more tame to me than the .380. But the XD has locked breech.

AK103K

I shoot both P230's in .380 and 2" snubbies in .38 (642's) and .357 (60). I practice mostly with my reloads that are loaded hot, and are pretty much the equivalent (in the case of the .380's, hotter than most commercial US ammo) of my carry ammo for each. I can shoot the .380's all day long, I'm done with the snubbies after a 50 round box, and my hand is usually sore the rest of the day afterwards. Blast and recoil are definitely more evident with the snubbies.

My wife has no troubles with most all of my other pistols, but she wants no part of the 642's or 60 with hot loads in them. :)

imatt

Just what the hell are you people shooting out of your .380's that they have more or harsher recoil than a .38+P or 357MAG, out of any gun?

Remington .380 out of an 8oz pocketgun is quite similar to a 357MAG out of a 44oz chunk of steel.

Lonestar.45

I thought my 3AT kicked hard until I bought a 340pd. A couple of cylinders of .357 mag through it, and that was enough for me. I think I had it a total of 3 weeks. Even with just regular .38 it was a handful. The only gun I can truly say I made a mistake in buying and don't miss.

The 3AT did surprise me by how much recoil it had. I stupidly put 150 rds through it the first time out. A huge blister and a stinging hand later, I did some research and found out about Handall jr. grip sleeves and bersa mag extensions. It's still not exactly my favorite range gun, but tolerable. I only shoot enough through it now to make sure it's still reliable and I can hit with it. But those first few boxes through it opened my eyes to the recoil a mouse gun can produce.

Johnny Guest

Moderator in Memoriam
Hey, guys - - Let's all back off just a bit, huh?

One thing upon which we should ALL be able to agree: handgun recoil in "normal size" firearms is EXTREMELY subjective. In a .454 or a .500 S&W, yeah - - EVERYONE can agree there is very substantial recoil.

But, as to comparing a .380 to a .357 for recoil, well, it's all in how the individual perceives the physical sensation. You simply can't correct another person and say, "No, you do not feel what you say you're feeling." Makes no sense, and it can be considered offensive.

Besides, there are .357s, and there are other .357s. Take, for instance, an S&W Model 27 with 3-1/2 inch barrel, weighing 42.5 ounces, with aftermarket oversize rubber stocks, firing low-end factory magnum ammo. Most of us, especially revolver shooters of long experience, would think this combo pretty soft in the recoil department. It might be noisy, but certainly not painful. The same experienced shooters would probably agree that a wood handled two-inch Airweight, loaded with +P 158 gr .38 Special ammo, is very vigoous, even painful, to shoot.

There are some objective factors , though. Take two near identical handguns,differing only in frame construction, with identical stocks, loaded with identical ammo, and the comparison can be right on point. Colt Detective Special vs. Cobra. S&W Model 10 M&P vs. Model 12, or Models 36 vs. 37. (The REAL)Colt Commander .45 vs. Combat Commander (all steel) .45.

Yes, this is the Semiauto forum, and this revolver comparison is getting a bit off topic. :rolleyes:

Back to the subjective side. A great many veteran shooters with a lot of varied experience agree that .380 pistols of certain designs have a great deal more felt recoil than others. The Beretta 1934. The AMT Backup (the original single action design.) The Walther PPK. These are all of unlocked blowback design, and there's something about the backstrap angle and width thereof that enhances felt recoil.

There have been comments above concerning the apparent recoil of the Kel Tec P3AT pistol. A side-by-side comparison of this pistol, with its locked breech, with the '34 Beretta, weighing twice as much, is revealing. TO ME, the Beretta has substantially more felt recoil. Your perceptions, of course, may vary. ;)

Best,
Johnny

LivLarge

I just sold my PPKs and bought a .380 Gov Colt. and have never looked back. The PPKs is a POS as far as I'm concerned. The thing would draw blood everytime I shot it and kick like a little mule. Slide had so many sharp angels and such a stiff slide spring it was just plain painful to load, shoot, and disassemble.

The .380 Gov is a dream. Almost no kick, friendly 1911 style operation and a great natural pointing gun. Colt needs to wake up and sell this gun again!