38 Special wadcutters?

XDforever

I bought a new box of ammo the other day for my 642. It is a box of 38 special wadcutters. Just glancing at the rounds, there is no bullet protrusion. I have not heard of these before and have not been to the range to shoot any of them yet either.

Are these just range quality rounds? Are they self defense type stuff? Looking for some guidance here.

Thanks,
Joe

Jim Watson

The wadcutter bullet is largely meant for target shooting.
Long bearing surface in the rifling helps accuracy, the flat nose cuts a clean hole in the target, and deep seating gets the most out of a small powder charge.

Some people carry them for defense because of the low recoil from the midrange load.

Recycled bullet

Wadcutters generally are for target shooting especially if they are hollow base wad cutters.

The hollow base allows for obturation into the barrel grooves and lands after passing through the cylinder and into the barrel face and the flat nose is to make clean circular holes in a paper Target. The reason that they are seated deep is to increase the pressure with a very small amount of a fast pistol powder. Generally recoil is very light. Do you have any more information about the loading that you have for example what is written on the box?

XDforever said:
I bought a new box of ammo the other day for my 642. It is a box of 38 special wadcutters. Just glancing at the rounds, there is no bullet protrusion. I have not heard of these before and have not been to the range to shoot any of them yet either.
That's what wadcutters are. If that's not what you wanted, why did you buy them?

Wadcutters are intended for target shooting. They are preferred because they tend to make clean, round holes in the targets. Some people prefer them for self-defense because the flat [lack of] nose causes more immediate trauma than a round-nose bullet, but they sacrifice penetration.

44 AMP

Staff
Factory loaded .38 wadcutters aren't even "midrange" loads. They are light loads, with enough power to punch through paper targets but very little else.

Standard service load .38s for generations was a 158gr bullet at approx 850fps.
Wadcutter load is usually about 700fps with a 148gr slug. Also factory wadcutters are nearly always swaged lead, and are either pure lead or a very soft alloy.

The wadcutter shape bullet, made with the correct alloy for the desired speed can be loaded to any practical speed in its weight class, and if loaded to service speed or above would be a reasonable choice for self defense. Loaded to very light target levels, its not a good choice for self defense.

Make no mistake, they are lethal ammunition. Just not the best choice for many things.

RoyceP

Are these just range quality rounds? Are they self defense type stuff? Looking for some guidance here.

Thanks,
Joe

Lots of folks, me included, use wadcutter ammo in their 38 snubs. I have a Model 37 S&W next to the bed loaded with those in a factory round. True it doesn't look like current 9MM ammunition. But it works well in a crowded neighborhood.

HighValleyRanch

My favorites are the Federal HST micro SD hollow wadcutters. Unfortunately they stopped producing these, but I still have a bunch left over.
They are rated +P and have good reviews.

Back when police carried revolvers rather than semi-autos, wadcutters were normally used for practice because the lower recoil was less prone to cause a shooter to develop a bad flinch than full-power ammunition was. But they were developed for target shooting first. The reason the clean round holes mattered is the way target scores are determined is by counting all the holes that are either inside or touching a scoring ring. When the bullet hole barely kisses the outside edge of the scoring ring, it still counts as that ring's value. So it was important to score counting that the hole in the paper be as wide as its caliber allowed.

Note that precision pistol target shooting goes out to 50 yards, and wadcutters are still accurate at that distance, provided you and your gun are capable of accuracy. Using wadcutters for self-defense is an idea that has gone through phases among handloaders. For a long time, it was thought that hollow base wadcutters seated backward would be great for self-defense because the hollow would act like a giant hollow point. Well, it does, but often to the extent that the expanded skirt fragments, but not before stealing so much energy from the bullet that what remains doesn't penetrate very far. The other approach is to use hardcast double-ended or else bevel base wadcutters, which have no hollow, and load them up to full power ammunition, allowing the bullet to protrude beyond the case mouth to make room for a larger quantity of slower powder. The Lee Tumble Lube design is particularly good for this, as any of the numerous small grooves in it can be used as the crimp groove, and IME produces very small groups fired as-cast, half the size of those I get from Federal Match WC's in my K-38. Flat nose designs are thought to be a good compromise between penetration and shock and the final hole size in the target.

Pumpkin

A late good friend of mine who happened to be a fine gunsmith in San Antonio gave me numerous cartridges over the years for my collection. On one occasion he gave me a box of 50 count minus 1 38spl manufactured by Scorpion. These are the original Hydrshock hollow points, the bullet appearing to be a swaged HBWC with the post. I have an old Gun Digest with an article on these new revolver rounds. Not sure how popular this particular loading was.

Drm50

I’ve got 4 Wadcutter molds for 38/357. I have the Lyman DEWC which is my least favorite.
The Lyman HBWC which pours a nice bullet buy it’s single cavity with pull pin for HB. Takes forever to pour 100 bullets. My favorite for the revolvers is the Lyman Button Nose WC which is 2 cavity, got a Hensley&Gibbs gang 6cavity that makes short work of 100. Same profile.
I had Lee WC for tumble lube but don’t like the rounded ribs instead of well defined square edge grease grooves. I have driven these at close to 1000fps out of 83/8” m27s and m19.
For my HBWC for M52s I have gotten lazy and buy Hornady HBWCs.
A couple years ago bought a Mil Tech gang mold 44 HBWC. A unique design that doesn’t require pulling core pins. It wasn’t cheap but makes up for it in time. Also converts to solid WC easily. I thinking on buying one for 38/357.

natman

Thanks,
Joe
Factory wadcutters are designed for target shooting. Factory wadcutter ammo is loaded to low velocity for accuracy and low recoil and is therefore unsuitable for defense.

SIGSHR

Saw this discussed on another forum, one member said the flushed seated WCs are meant for semiauto pistols , the S&W M52, the Colts, e.g.
Self Defense? Only the hits count. A low recoiling round allows for more accurate shot placement. Which comes from lots of practice that low recoiling rounds make more enjoyable.

jcj54

Wadcutters

.38 spl. wadcutter factory rounds were nearly always the flush seated. Have seen untold thousands used in .38 revolvers in bullseye competition, used a lot myself.
The S&W 52 semiauto target pistol will only accept flush seated wadcutters in its magazine, the Colt .38 Spl. Target pistol will accept the top hat bullet nose.

rc

Shoot them up as range ammo and then replace with something like a 130mc or 158 LRN for range ammo. They are fine to use in any revolver or the specialized autos.

gnappi

I don't think I'd like to be shot with one but they are very mild shooting and make clean holes in the paper for easy scoring.

Hellcat1

I've got a S&W Model 52 that only accepts 38 Spec. wadcutters, and it's one of my favorite guns to shoot.

Frank

stinkeypete

full wadcutters can be loaded with longer COL and crimped on any of the little grooves you please, so long as the bullets "plunk" into the cylinder.

You can load them like any 148 grain (or whatever) cast bullet, so long as the internal volume is the same as the bullet data you're using. It's simple subtraction to work it out.

A flat nose wadcutter is very effective on game and would be on any critter it impacted with.

The only reason they were mounted flush to the case mouth was the S&W bullseye pistol that needed the cartridge as short as possible to deal with the magazine. It also resulted in excellent accuracy with pipsqeak loads.

But in my Vaqueros and LCRX, seating them longer and going for about 850 fps resulted in much better accuracy.

Ain't no one wants to get smacked with one of those, even at 'target load' level.

FITASC

Wadcutters can be easily used in small snubs without as much recoil as more powerful versions. I have carried them in my 642 on occasion.

Drm50

I have a few S&W revolvers and autos. I basically shoot cast wadcutters in all of them except an old 1905HE 32/20. In 44 & 45 caliber a WC at 700-750FPS might not be the optimum long range load but will make most warm blooded creatures mighty sick at
50yds or less.