.357 Revolver at 100 yards

Old Grump

Member in memoriam
I can believe it. here are a few of my 100 yard targets and they are just field guns not match guns except for the 45 and the match part of it was shot out a couple of hundred thousand rounds ago.

First up is S&W M58 41 magnum with a 5"x7" group

scaled.php

Next up is an old Ruger Super Blackhawk with quite a few thousand rounds through it, some 44 special but the majority full load magnums. This is a 5"x6" group with full power loads I use for deer hunting.

scaled.php

Last but not least is my 1911A1 NM 45 with a 3"x5" and the only reason it is 5" is a self caused flyer that stopped it from being a 3"x3" group.

scaled.php

Didn't shoot .357 that day but I will. Its an old Dan Wesson and by old I mean back in the early 70's about the same time as my 45 was made. So yeah I believe his targets, I know what the guns can do if the shooter does his part. There is no magic, just plain old fashioned application of basic marksmanship with a touch more concentration thrown in.

FloridaVeteran

Bushmaster - nice work, on a target smaller than a standard 8 1/2" x 11" piece of paper, to put it in context. I can't do that.

Your shooting reminds me of the recent incident where the good old boy whipped out his .357 revolver and long-range popped a perp who was about to murder a cop in a trailer park, after the perp had murdered others and the cop was responding to the call.

hnl.flyboy

I find that shooting one-handed is easier for precision shooting than two-handed. I guess part of it is that the way I see my sights makes it easier. Two hands works great for recoil management if you gotta get a bunch of rounds off quickly, but one hand works better for precision if you have all day.

Strafer Gott

Thank you OG! Talk about shooting. Really nice. And multiple guns. You should re-post on the " beware the man with one gun" thread. Thanks again.

Old Grump

Member in memoriam
Strafer Gott

Thank you OG! Talk about shooting. Really nice. And multiple guns. You should re-post on the " beware the man with one gun" thread. Thanks again.
I don't want to detract from Bushmasters post but he was getting some doubts and I just wanted to show that most guns can do it if the shooter is willing and able. As for multiple guns the only handguns I do not shoot at 200 yards are my black powder revolvers, all my guns get shot at 7 yards to 100 yards. I am a firm believer that you should be able to shoot whatever gun you have in your hand because you never know what gun will be available to you in a strange place and a bad situation. If you only have one gun to shoot you are a little limited but if you have the opportunity to shoot other calibers and other types you should avail yourself of the opportunity.

jhenry

Nice shooting you guys. I think many folks doubt simply due to a lack of experience and a self imposed belief that since they can't, never saw it done, or never have, that nobody can. Nonsense. Another issue is the size of the front sight in relation to the target or group. What folks fail to see is that that big fat front sight has a exact center. The exact center is the same size as the center of a fine sight or even the center of a set of cross hairs. It is the ability to use that center in conjunction with the rest of the basic shooting fundamentals that allow a person to make a decent shot at a longer range.

Bushmaster1313

If I can hit a 6" gong at 25 yards standing without a support, why shouldn't I be able to hit a 6" x 8" target at 100 yards from a support?

I would bet the gun can shoot much better than I can.

spacecoast

If I can hit a 6" gong at 25 yards standing without a support, why shouldn't I be able to hit a 6" x 8" target at 100 yards from a support?

Yes, I would think so, but the equivalent target at 25 yards is 1.5"x2", which is relatively small. Get in the habit of using a consistent site picture, and adjust your sights accordingly, and you should be to do it. At 100 yards ammo variations will also be more of a factor than at 25.

rebs

Bushmaster
thats some great shooting, I don't care what position you were in, thats some great shooting

Old Grump
thats some great shooting as well
In my 60's now with lineless trifocals and some floaters in my eyes I could not do that well either

Bushmaster1313

In my 60's now with lineless trifocals and some floaters in my eyes I could not do that well either

In my middle 50's with bifocals.

The trick for me is to shoot with no corrective glasses, just safety glasses.

the target is something between a blur and a blob, but am able to fix on the bottom of it and get a clear view of the front and rear sights on the pistol with arms extended.

Ironically, I am not able to use iron sights on a rifle to any good accuracy because the rear sight is way too blurry. an aperture sight might work, but I do not have any.

spacecoast

Try finding (or making) a pinhole aperture for your glasses like the one below. I believe the hole diameter is 2mm. My eyes are like yours and it really sharpened up the rear sight on my AK, amazingly so. The design allows you to reposition the aperture for various situations as needed.

pinhole.jpg

Here's one that's homemade... he used a 5/64" drill bit which, ironically is almost exactly 2mm. ;)

http://www.waltherforums.com/forum/...om-shooting-glasses-made-home.html#post105968

Last edited:

spacecoast

Yes, it's just like the principle of using a smaller aperture on a camera to increase the depth of field. As long as there is enough light available, it can make a dramatic difference by blocking the off-axis rays that make the image fuzzy.

Bushmaster1313

I tried it by punching two holes, one smaller than the other, into a sheet of black cardboard.

I tried it on small print that I could not read without my glasses at 8 inches from my eye and it is amazing!

Looking forward to trying it at the range with iron sights on a pre-64 Model 70.

The good news is that with this trick I might be able to shoot a Model 1894.
The bad news is that I don't own one.