.357 maximum vs .44 mag

lon371

I am thinking of a rifle for my daughter. Indiana is allowing handgun cartidges. Which of the 2 kicks less, and what are the pros and cons? Thanks for your help.
Lonny

Sorry I Left out (FOR DEER) Most of our shots have been under 75 yards

Last edited:

Zombie Steve

It's been a long time since I shot a .357 Maximum, and with variables involved, I couldn't tell you which kicks more. I had a Marlin 1894PG (.44mag) and recoil wasn't bad at all. One reason I'd pick the .44 mag is the availability of ammo (unless you want to reload for it). You'll be hard pressed to find .357 Maximum in the local shop.

Tom2

Who made a rifle for the "max" anyway? I could see .357 magnum in a lever gun but the max is rather an exotic choice for ammo, as like the man said, the 44 would be much simpler to buy ammo for, and probably even alot easier to find components for, to reload. Maybe explain how the max was one of your choices. The Marlins come with a decent recoil pad, I think, now too. Lot better than a plastic or metal buttplate and should soak up alot of the recoil. I would suspect that the max would depend alot more on a greater degree of expansion to be effective for hunting. Lots of folks just shoot lead SWC from their 44 magnums and kill game with that, not exotic$$$ bullets.

lon371

I have the Handi rifle .44. Had it for a few weeks. Dont kick bad at all. The reason I am asking is I reallllyy want the 357 max. But my daughter really wants a deer rifle. So if I get a hold of one of the .357s it will probably turn into a 357 max. I guess I will probably get the 357 magnum, then wait on the Max conversion until she is done with the rifle. I just read an add this morning to get a T/C converted is $80. Thought that would be a deal. I have not asked how much more for the rifles.
http://www.bellmtcs.com/store/index.php?cid=120

azredhawk44

I am thinking of a rifle for my daughter. Indiana is allowing handgun cartidges. Which of the 2 kicks less, and what are the pros and cons? Thanks for your help.
Lonny

You know, I've heard of this before - Indiana allowing rifles chambered in handgun cartridges.

Now that TC has Contender barrels in .223 and .308 and posession (at the federal level) of AP handgun ammo precludes civilian ownership of .223 and .308 AP rounds, it seems that .308 is effectively a handgun round. Doesn't TC also make .243, .30-30, 7mm-08 and several other rifle barrels in a handgun configuration?

Get her a real rifle in .243 or some similar cartridge that you can point to a matching TC barrel for their Contender platform.

Timbow

Just because someone makes a handgun in rifle calibers does not make those calibers handgun calibers. .223 and .308 are hardly handgun calibers. Besides, I'm sure there is some type of wording in the law about straight walled cartridges.

lon371

They were slick enough to put in limitaions:( The cartridge can only me 1.60" and only straight walled. I was think the samem before I read the details. I guess they thought if they give us a little we would shut up:D
The rifle must fire a cartridge that meets the following specifications
-------------------------------------------------------------

a) fire a bullet of .357 diameter or larger;
b) have a minimum case length of 1.16 inches; and
c) have a maximum case length of 1.625 inches.

Some of the cartridges that will be legal under the proposal
-------------------------------------------------------------

..357 Magnum
..38-40 Winchester
..41 Magnum
..41 Special
..44 Magnum
..44 Special
..44-.40 Winchester
..45 Colt
..454 Casull
..480 Ruger
..475 Linebaugh
..50 Action Express
..500 S&W

Last edited:

roy reali

Handy Rifle

A few years ago a friend of mine bought a New England HandiRifle in .357 Magnum. He had a gunsmith stretch the chamber to .357 maximum. He now has one handy little gun. He can shoot the max rounds for deer, the magnum rounds for things like coyoes, and use .38 specials for plinking and varmints.

If I can find a .357 mag HandiRifle, I'll have the same thing done.

CraigC

I'm sure either would do the job. My only concern with the .357Max would be using a tough enough jacketed bullet that wouldn't fragment on impact. Any standard weight .357Mag handgun bullet probably wouldn't do. If they make a 180gr Gold Dot, that's where I'd start.

HOGGHEAD

357 Maximum

If you handload then the 357 maximum in a TC Encore or Contender would be a dandy for your daughter. You could get the heavier Encore, and recoil would be very light. You could also get her a 22LR barrel for her to practice with.

The best bullet for hunting(IMO) would be a cast bullet. Any weight from 158 to 180 grains would do fine. And the rimmed cartridge is great for the single shot rifle, it allows for precise headspacing.

You can also let her shoot a lot of 38's as long as you keep the chamber good and clean. Is the 357 Maximum one of the legal pistol cartridge's??

If you do not reload then the 357 Magnum would be a good choice as long as you limit her shooting. The 357 Magnum is not as effective as the other two cartridge's you talked about. Tom.

kawaboy-zx11

44mag

id go with the 44 mag for sure. i just picked up a marlin 1894 in 44 mag, ive been shooting 240gr bullets, not bad at all. for even less recoil you could go with mabey hornady xtp in 180, plenty of killing power with very little recoil. Dennis

CraigC

It was a great idea for its intended purpose, silhouette competition. It was the knuckleheads that tried to turn it into a varmint rifle with light bullets and ball powders that caused the flame cutting that resulted in its demise. In a rifle it essentially duplicates .35Rem ballistics, I suppose that cartridge is a dumb idea too, huh? It did not fail because it was a bad idea, not everything does.

roy reali

Numbers To Compare

Pick up a reloading manual and compare the sectional density of 35 caliber bullets and 44 caliber bullets.

skeeter1

Nix the .357 Maximum

It's been discontinued, as far as I know. The only way you're going to shoot it is handloading.

I've got a Marlin 1894C in .357Mag, and that's probably enough, but a 1894 in .44Mag would be plenty. Ammo for either is easy to come by.

The only rifles I ever saw in .357Max were single-shots. Steer clear of that round.

txpete

I just got a 24" contender custom shop barrel in 357 max.I am very impressed with the accuracy with my handloads in 357 mag and 357 max.I got the barrel from ed's contenders in ok.
remington still makes fac 357 max rounds but it would be best to be a handloader to get the most out of the round.next time out I am going to chrony some loads with the 24" barrel and 180 gr bullets.
pete

DWFan

.357 Maximum cartridges

www.reedsammo.com
Loaded .357 Maximum ammo in bullet weights from 140gr to over 200gr. You can even order custom loads such as the 180gr Speer FN or Hornady 180gr SSP. The 180gr Hornady XTP-HP load is excellent.
www.bellmtcs.com
Mike Bellm has the right idea for .357 Maximum chambers.
www.handloads.com
Lots of reload data available here for the Maximum.

geopat

Max

I stumbled onto this thread because I too am looking for the perfect (Indiana) deer rifle. I would really like to see a .357 max in a lever gun but the custom work to get there is slowing me down. The obvious advantages of the max are flatter trajectory and you can shoot .38s & .357mags which is great for low recoil and cost control. (Yes, I know a light .44 special will reduce recoil, but not as cost effectively, or as much). If you go with the Encore in .357 Max you daughter can kill all the deer she wants with the .357 mag (you did say <75 yds) and you will have a 200 yd rifle if you need it. :rolleyes:
For the benefit of those readers who are not familiar with Indiana's regs, the following is clipped from the current (2008-9) Indiana DNR regs:

"Rifles with pistol cartridges
Rifles must fire a cartridge with a bullet of .357-inch diameter or larger; have a minimum case length of 1.16 inches; and have a maximum case length of 1.625 inches."
I can hunt in Indiana with a .308 (clearly a rifle cal) on my Encore with pistol grip @15" bl length, But I can't hunt deer with a .460 S&W (clearly a pistol cal. but 1.8" case length)and sholder stock @ >16" bl length. Politics!
The .357 max makes it at 1.61" case length (if I remember correctly.) The .454 Casull makes it and has 200 yd potential but with significantly more recoil. IMHO The best hope for states with so called pistol calibers for deer hunting with rifle is the resurection of the .357 max. Meanwhile, my quest goes on. I would love to know what you end up with.
Pat

Last edited:

Peter M. Eick

I shoot my Max's (yes I have a DW Supermag and a Ruger Max) a lot and have shot 44 mags. In my opinion the Max is less recoil then the 44's hands down.

I would go with the Max in your case.