357 mag opinions please

liviussteven

my choice

like 2 great lovers you have to choose between... which one are you going to marry? the pretty one.. right!!! i'm sure either the gp100 or the 686 would be great "lovers"... so i chose the prety one... the smith 686p.

Kreyzhorse

like 2 great lovers you have to choose between... which one are you going to marry? the pretty one.. right!!! i'm sure either the gp100 or the 686 would be great "lovers"... so i chose the prety one... the smith 686p.

As mentioned, either are great guns, but I find the 686 a little more attractive too. :D

MaxHeadSpace

Thompson Contender -- You can wildcat .357 loads 'til the cows come home. And when you get bored you can put a 45/70 Govt. barrel on it.

Wolfeye

"If you look at a GP100 you will see the cylinder notch is not above the chamber."

Yes; Ruger offsets the notches from the cylinder chambers. I won't buy a Smith unless it has an odd number of chambers... I'd make an exception for an n-framed .357, though.

Smaug

GP-100 or Security/Speed Six

The GP-100 is a little bigger and has a grip stud for better recoil absorption.

I'm a handloader and have been happy with my Redhawk and SP101, so that is the route I'd take.

A couple other things: Ruger is behind S&W for double action trigger, but the action itself (and probably the frame) is stronger. Some people say those S&W will shoot 357s all day long. They will, but they will loosen up throughout the day too. Watch those frame screws! (Loctite didn't hold them for me)

vytoland

those S&W will shoot 357s all day long. They will, but they will loosen up :confused:

you must be shooting a "k" frame.............move up to a "N" frame.........tight as a virgin and stays that way:D

WESHOOT2

my hands

I much prefer the DA pull from GPs and Redhawks. It is not a 'brand' thing, it is a 'in my hands' thing.
I don't care about 'brand'; I care about performance.

As to the N being strongest, backward-rotating cylinders disagree.
The Redhawk was chambered in 357, 41 and 44 Magnum, and 45 Colt.
So was the N, but nowhere will you find "N-frame Only" data. Ay?

223 shooter

Yes; Ruger offsets the notches from the cylinder chambers. I won't buy a Smith unless it has an odd number of chambers... I'd make an exception for an n-framed .357, though.

Excessive loads will blow up any cylinder regardless of notch location , even in the GP100.
GP100Kaboom.jpg

Hammer It

What is your ideas on the strongest 357 mag out there that is readily available and comes with a 6 inch barrel ?I am looking for something that will stand up to a steady diet of full house handloads.I already have three 44s so don't bother going there please.It will be used for plinking and may go into the woods some also.Thanks and have a great day

Hello
Why Not own the "Original" .357 magnum Hand Gun Other's Only followed behind, The S&W Model 27. They will take all you can give them and come back for more. They have a Lot smoother action than any Ruger I have had and are the Most elegant handgun I have ever owned. Their Re-sale is second to none, I had to about Give away a Ruger I once had , and never went back to them again..;) Hammer It

SW27-21.jpg

Sam06

What about the S&W M28 guys

Hammer it, You must suffer from the same affliction I have, Nickle love. I think a Nickle gun is the best looking Gun out there either Revolver or Autoloader. What is wrong with us?

Dont' forget the M28 Highway Patrolman. They will not be a Pur'dy as the M27 but it is the same gun. Here are afew for sale and they look nice:

http://www.gunbroker.com/Auction/ViewItem.asp?Item=118345645

http://www.gunbroker.com/Auction/ViewItem.asp?Item=117353232

I have a Highway Patrolman and it is the most accurate 357 I own.