357 mag opinions please

458winshooter

What is your ideas on the strongest 357 mag out there that is readily available and comes with a 6 inch barrel ?I am looking for something that will stand up to a steady diet of full house handloads.I already have three 44s so don't bother going there please.It will be used for plinking and may go into the woods some also.Thanks and have a great day.

KD5NRH

I don't know of too much that could be stronger than the Ruger Redhawk.

I have a Blackhawk in .357 that takes hot handloads with no signs of trouble, and the Redhawk has even more extra steel on it.

458winshooter

357 Redhawk

I would tend to agree with that statement but Ruger doesn't list a 357 Redhawk on their websight.I think that they may have had at one time but not real sure.

Sam06

They used to have the Rehawk in 357 but I believe it is discontinued now. The Rehhawk also only came in 5.5 and 7.5" barrels with a 4" added this year.

As far as the strongest 357, that is a good pistol, This would be my choices based on strengh:

Freedom Arms 353(Single Action)*
Ruger Blackhawk(Single action)
Ruger GP 100
S&W M27
S&W M686/586*

Any of those can handle full house 357 mags all day long. If you are looking for one to hunt with I would go with the FA 353 or the S&W 686. They are scope ready and are very good, accurate revolvers. I am not a big Taurus fan and if I was going after a S&W I would get a nice used one without a Lock.

WESHOOT2

used only

357 Redhawks came in stainless steel, with barrels of 5.5" and 7.5".

I kept my 7.5" because I like its sight radius better, and its weight makes it my favorite choice for USPSA's Revolver Division.
It is enormous for its chambering (consider, please, that same cylinder can hold six rds of 45 Colt. I traded that one --the 45 Colt version-- for a 1911 in 40 S&W. I sold my 5.5" 357 for funds to send one 9x19-chamnbered 1911 to EGW).
(Yes I've owned a 'few' Redhawks.)

If you can find one you'll have found the strongest DA 357 Magnum.
If you prefer SA, buy a Freedom Arms. Call them and ask which model they consider strongest.

If you want something RIGHT NOW just go buy a Ruger 6" GP100 in carbon steel.
They're pretty tough, too.
(Tough enough that more than one ammo company uses/used them for load development. Including CorBon....)
(I still own two GP100s, the 4" stainless steel KGP-141.)

stevieboy

Of magnums that are in current production (I'm limiting my comment to da magnums) my guess is that the Ruger GP series and the Smith 686 are about equal in terms of what they can handle. The GP and the 686 are about the same size and weight and neither Ruger nor Smith imposes limitations on the type of factory ammo that these guns can shoot.

Webleymkv

While they're no longer made in .357 Magnum, a Dan Wesson is supposed to be one of the strongest .357's ever made and are easily found on the used market.

madcratebuilder

GP100 Ruger, probably the best bang for the buck for a new gun.
M686/586 Smith can be found used at reasonable prices. Equal the the gp100, with smoother action, imho.
M27 Smith too spendy for a shooter.
M19/66 Smith well not like a steady diet of heavy loads.
M15 Dan Wesson, same size frame as the Smith 686/586, the lowest cost of the lot. The pistol pac's give you versatility that the others can't. I picked up this M15-2, Burris scope and four barrels for under $500.
DW02.jpg

CraigC

Of those currently available, the large frame Ruger New Model Blackhawk is among the strongest but it's more sixgun than I'd want to carry for the lowly .357. The mid-frame guns like the Colt SAA, its replicas, the Ruger New Vaquero and the 50th anniversary Blackhawk are as strong as they need to be for that cartridge.

Wolfeye

If you want double action, I'd say either a Ruger GP100 or Smith 627/327. I've used or handled Rugers and Smiths, and Smith's other .357's (686, 620) lacked the tank-like build of the Rugers. Their n-frame .357's are quite the gun, though.

458winshooter

357 mag choice

I asked because I have been seeing alot of the N-framed S&Ws on gunbroker.com lately.I guess I should have asked do you think a Blackhawk or a Vacaro or Gp is any stronger than these "Highway Patrolman" turn ins.

SavageMOA

+1 on the GP100. It's my most beastly handgun. I load up some pretty scary loads. I call them my "post exam loads." They're great for letting off steam. The GP100 laughs at them.

GP100: "Thank you sir, may I have another!"

azredhawk44

If strength were my only concern, I'd go for an N-frame smith over a GP-100 any day.

Reasons?
1. Index notch is further away from chamber due to the 8-shot N frame wheel size, rather than directly above the chamber where it can weaken it on smaller diameter wheels.
2. Frame/receiver is designed to handle 1000 ft/lbs of BOOM. 600-ish of high power .357 loads will not be likely to stretch or flame cut the receiver.

Ranger325

I don't think you can go wrong with a Smith N Frame. I have a M28-2 Highway Patrolman and a Blackhawk. The BH is alot of fun to shoot, and I've not had any issues with it but I'll give the nod to the N Frame.
Good luck!

Regards,

BigJimP

The N frame S&W's are a far stronger gun than Ruger in my opinion.

Model 27's, 28's, model 627 - all very good guns in my opinion / and readily available in 6" - I prefer the older ones without the internal frame safety.

223 shooter

1. Index notch is further away from chamber due to the 8-shot N frame wheel size, rather than directly above the chamber where it can weaken it on smaller diameter wheels.

If you look at a GP100 you will see the cylinder notch is not above the chamber.

Gun 4 Fun

Since you did not specify, S/A-Freedom Arms, stronger than ANY gun in .357.
D/A-N-frame S&W. I've had about every kind and model except the GP100, but I've looked at them while I had my 28-2 in hand. The N-frame has much thicker chamber walls. The only drawback is the N-frame cylinder was originally designed for the .38/44/ .38 special length rounds and is a little short if you are going to be loading extra heavy cast bullets. Outside of that, it's an excellent gun and has the usual nice S&W sights and action, not to mention looks.