.357 long gun

MJFlores

The Henry rifles are excellent quality, and are a joy to shoot with accuracy to spare. Yes, they weight a bit more but look at the heavy octagonal barrel. You'll shoot smaller groups with it than any Rossi or Marlin out there. The wood is much nicer, and action too. I have no idea why people bash the tube feed magazine....it's easy to do with no pinched fingers by a loading gate, and you load from the side of the tube, not the muzzle. I would imagine that Henry in .357 magnum would be a very satisfying rifle to shoot and hunt with. My frontier rifle in .22 is one of my favorite rifles for plinking.

Last edited:

I own an 1894C and that is the only .357 carbine/rifle I have any experience with. It is post 2005 and I don't see any problem with it. Maybe I don't over-analyze things. It looks fine and I have shot it a few thousand times and it seems OK to me. But, then, I don't have anything else compare it to. FWIW: I also own a Marlin .45/70 rifle that I bought about two years ago, new. So it was made recently. Again, maybe I am missing something but I can't see any issue with it. I have fired a few hundred rounds out of it and I couldn't be happier.

As far as the tube loading, I consider the way the Marlin 1894C loads to be a PITA. I am not sure what this is called where you have a loading gate on the side of the receiver: I strongly dislike it and wish it loaded like a lever action .22. However it does have one thing going for it. I shoot my 1894C quite a bit with a suppressor and if it had a tube feed like a .22, THAT would be a PITA because I would have to unscrew the suppressor every time I needed to load the rifle. I have my 39A threaded and that is what I have to do with that rifle....so, maybe the loading gate thing is a blessing in disguise ?

One thing I can tell you is that if you want to shoot full house .357 loads out of it, it makes a HUGE difference between .357 handgun ballistics. And that is a big plus for the .357 in a rifle. And, since this is a .357 it is also one of the most verstile cartridges out there. With the can I shoot 148 grain plated cast bullets and it is literally silent. It sounds like you are dry firing the rifle. All with just changing the load.

44 AMP

Staff
The current asking price for the Marlin carbines is astronomical. Supply and demand, I guess, but with demand pushing the price above $700 ($900 is ridiculous) I do wonder why they aren't making them currently.

I paid $300 for mine, ages ago. Other possible options (all used) is the Timberwolf pump (if you can find one), converted Winchester 92s, or the Rossi clone.

Another option, not mentioned, probably because everyone is so fixed on repeaters, is the single shot. A Contender carbine allows for the ballistic advantage of the longer barrel, easy scope mounting providing greater, more easily used range and accuracy over the handgun. Plus, you still have the handgun if you need rapid fire close range support.

one gun I passed on, and shouldn't have, ages ago, was a Ruger No.1 in .357 Mag. Should have bought it. oh well...

also, the loading gate on the side was originally the "King's Patent Loading gate" and what turned eventually Henry rifles into Winchesters.

If it bites your fingers, use another round to push the rounds in with.
;)

Marlins are a hard rifle to come by in the caliber your wanting. Even harder if wanting one new in a box. You could get a model made off shore or simply wait for a Marlin production run.

Are you in a hurry to purchase?

Rockrivr1

I picked up a Rossi 92 a few years ago and I like the look and feel of it. I'm thinking of getting an action job for it as 38s are fairly easy to load, but 357s need extra effort to get the lever closed fully.

hemiram

I'm planning on getting a Rossi 92 in .357 16" in SS. A friend of mine got one for his birthday gift to himself and it's very nicely done. Only things it needs are a metal mag follower and a little smoothing of the loading gate so your fingers don't get sliced.

The Rossi .357 as my next gun purchase, and it will be identical to the one above. I like the Henry guns, except to me, a lever action has to have a loading gate, unless it's a .22. I have a Henry large loop .22, and it's a great little gun. But I miss the loading gate, it would be about perfect if it had one. The oversized screw heads on the receiver cover are another issue with me, purely cosmetic, but they annoy me.

large-carbine-loop.png

darkgael

Rossi

I have had a Rossi 92 since they became available. It is a marvelous little gun. Reliable, accurate, handy. Highly recommended.
Pete

Guv

What 44 AMP said is why I ended up with a nice older 336 30-30. I wanted a work/ranch gun and I couldn't justify the crazy prices for a revolver cartridge chambered Marlin. 125 Fed HP's kill the dickens out of undesirable varmints. The ability to go really light (38spl) is it's only downfall for me. I've got a 39 for that.

Salmoneye

.30-30 can easily be loaded down to 'pest control' levels with round balls...

Published loads can be found in the ancient Ideal Handbook #38 (1951, PDF on line)...

Calls for .311", but I have had excellent results with .310"...

I also shoot .360" balls in .35 Remington (also published same volume)....35 Rem can be loaded down to recreate any .38SPCL/.357MAG load from a carbine...

458winshooter

357 long gun

Another +1 for a Rossi 92 it's a no frills working mans gun.If you shoot 38 spl it kicks like 22.Very fun and good to teach others how to shoot.

Obambulate

I like my Rossi 92 also.

That single shot rolling block rifle looks interesting, but I wonder what a .357 does from a 27.5" barrel? Ballistics By The Inch only tested .357 to 18".

JWT

The Miroku made Winchester 1873 comes chambered in a 357/38. Mine has an octagon barrel and case hardened receiver. It is an extremely nice looking rifle IMO. The action is as smooth as my Henry's and I like the loading gate vs the tube feed. The gun is a tack driver and lots of fun to shoot. A bit pricey, but the quality makes it well worth the cost.