.357 long gun

txray22

I'm looking for a .357 rifle/carbine to go with my revolver. The Henry looks nice and I have handled one at my lgs. Not sure about the Ruger bolt-action. I hear bad things about the new Marlins and I haven't heard anything bout the Winchester .357 ranger compact. Any input?

Salmoneye

No need to worry about Marlin...

They are not making the 1894C (.357/.38) at the present time, and it seems they have no plans to do so...

NINEX19

Why are you not sure about the Ruger M77/357.
This is not only a very nice, well made rifle in carbine length, but it it is FUN. A bit on the expensive side, in my opinion, but in the end, very well worth it. They only downside to this gun is the 5 round capacity. extra mags are available. Ruger makes and outstanding product and they stand behind it.

I also have a Marlin in .357 in SS, but it is a safe queen right now because of the current increasing value of them and the fact that you can hardly even find a used one for sale and when you do, they are $$$$. If you find one for a price you can afford, this would be my first choice of all listed.

I don't have much experience with the Winchesters, but I have never been a fan of loading the tube by pulling out the follower and dropping rounds down from the muzzle end. If this is not an issue for you, I understand they are well made, but once again, pricey and not great customer support (so I read).

Henry? - The only thing they have going for them in my mind is that they are 100% USA made. I dislike their weight (heavy), the brass receiver, and once again, loading the tube by pulling out a follower and putting rounds down at the muzzle. They also have a reputation of so-so accuracy, but I understand their customer service is very good and will correct any issue.

Rossi and Chiappa both make versions. I have no hands on experience with these either. Based on my research, they both have mixed reviews.

That is my rundown, I say you can't go wrong with the Ruger M77/357 all weather stock, SS.

Last edited:

Big Shrek

What you'll probably want is a pre-2005 Marlin 1894C.
2005 is the marker where Marlin told their workers they were for sale...
many took early retirement...a lot got peeved off...
quality from then on was spotty as hek, on all lines...
you really had to check out every new rifle like it was a gun show special...
as in, Intensive Inspection before purchase.

So anything I see with a 05 to 15 date code gets treated like an unknown...
makes Drill Sgt's weapon checks look slack ;)

Now Marlin was never perfect, I've got a 1952 336RC with a barrel that was
off index by 5-degrees...but it shoots better than an asthetically perfect one ;)
My 2012 Marlin 1895-SBL was a beauty that shot very, very well!
And the 2010 Marlin 795 turned out rather nicely after adding
a DIP trigger/guard combo & a few other toys ;)
So you can get winners out of the new stuff, IF you check it carefully.

This is especially important to do for EVERY Manufacturer these days,
as they're all treating the End User as their final inspection checker.
Used to be they had a guy who'd check everything before they boxed it up
& sent it out...now, they just send it & wait to see if someone pitches a bitch.
More cost effective to deal with a 1% complaint ratio than check every one.

Attachments

• gedc0072.jpg
    gedc0072.jpg
    72.1 KB · Views: 37
  • marlin-336-(1).jpg
    marlin-336-(1).jpg
    77.1 KB · Views: 33

idek

Which Henry did you handle? As NINEX19 mentioned, the ones with brass receivers seem too heavy for a pistol caliber rifle. The Big Boy Steel models are quite a bit lighter though and would be the route I went if I got a Henry.

I really wanted to like the Rossi 92s, due to the relatively low price, but the stocks are quite short (like 12.5", which would be considered a youth model on many other guns). And since most have a crescent-shaped butt plate, it's not easy to simply add a longer recoil pad for extra length. Anyway they fit me terribly. They also have a reputation for hit-or-miss quality. Some people are really pleased; some report a lot of problems.

I have a Marlin 1894c (from 2001, I think). I like it, but I don't know if I'd pay a huge amount for a used one if I could get the aforementioned Big Boy Steel for significantly less.

I'd read a little about the Winchester .357 Ranger, but I've never seen one and don't know how common they are.

The Ruger is intriguing to me, but it seems overpriced, especially given the tupperware stock on it and reports of a so-so trigger. Would be nice if they could make a Ruger American rifle in .357. Also, I'm a lefty, or I'd be more tempted.

mag1911

I can recommend the Marlin; I bought my wife a 1991 made and she loves it. I'm looking for another one for me.:)

I lucked into hers pretty cheap but the going asking prices seem to be around $900 for a decent older one. I don't want one that bad.

stubbicatt

I like the Uberti clone of the 1873 Winchester. That is a super nice rifle. They are a little more expensive than some others, but when you operate the rifle it is very smooth and very accurate, and is of very high quality.

PatientWolf

A few questions that may be important...

What price range are you looking for?
Would you consider used vs new?
How do intend to use it?

I like a lever for the .357. I think the Henry Big Boy steel, Rossi 92, Marlin 1894C and Browning 92 are all worth considering (not listed in any particular order).

The Henry and the Marlin will be easiest to scope if that's what you intend to do.

Henry has a great reputation for customer service.

I think the Rossi is a good value.

The Browning is a great gun, but can likely be only found used and parts can be VERY hard to find (from experience).

Though you will get a lot of conflicting opinions on this, I think Rossi and Marlin they currently have their act together.

If I was going to buy new this morning, it would be the Rossy or Henry.

Targa

If I was going to buy new this morning, it would be the Rossy or Henry.

This ^^^. Now if I had the money I would seriously consider Stubbicatt's suggestion of a 1873 Uberti, now that is a pretty rifle.

Mauser69

Another vote for the Rossi 92

My Rossi 92 is an absolute dream, and the best price going. The 1892 action is WAY stronger than any 1873 type and much smoother than an 1894. Personally I can't take the Henrys because tube loading system like a little .22. It just ain't right.

the current Rossis have a strange little bolt-top safety that doesn't seem right at first, but it is easily removed. Personally, I hated the idea of that safety on a classic lever gun, but have found that I really like it now. All just personal preference.

smee78

I have one of the older Rossi 92's and they are fun to shoot. I love shooting 38's through them, mild recoil and my wife even loves to shoot it. Only thing to keep in mind is you have to rack the action with authority to keep it cycling correctly.

Idaho Spud

Bought a blue Rossi R92 in 357 w/ 16 inch barrel a couple of months ago strictly for a fun gun, and it's not disappointed. I haven't experienced some of the nightmare issues reported on the 'net. Like all guns it knows what it likes to consume, so feed it what it wants and you'll not be disappointed either. Did I say it's fun? And I'm not even a cowboy.

DPris

Member Emeritus
Marlin does have plans to make the .357 again.
The program has been delayed.

I had the Ruger here briefly, could not see that tiny front bead.
Denis

Guv

Isn't this normal for them? A while back I had to wait a while for a 336 in 35Rem. I was told it was because of the specific barrels (bore diameter) they had in stock a that time?

DPris

Member Emeritus
Marlin's trying to return to previous quality levels.
Various things have happened internally to delay parts of their master plan.
And they do have a master plan. :)
Denis

Mauser69

I have one of the older Rossi 92's and they are fun to shoot. I love shooting 38's through them, mild recoil and my wife even loves to shoot it. Only thing to keep in mind is you have to rack the action with authority to keep it cycling correctly.
Although there are certainly some R92s that need to be tuned to work with some loads (not really that many tho), my 3 year old .357 was not one of them. It feeds any and all .38 and .357 loads that I have ever tried with perfection, and it cycles fine with anywhere from a slow gentle lever motion to fast racking. The only exception might be flush wad cutters, but then again, I have never actually tried to feed those in the 92.

Many of us have replaced the stock extractor spring with a lighter one to keep the empties in the local zip code - that stock spring can really send 'em flying if you rack it fast (not a problem unless you reload)! All Rossi lever guns have a very slow twist rate, so they tend to have best accuracy with either the lighter bullets or full magnum loads with the heavy ones. I can generally get 3-4" groups at 100 yards with the stock buckhorn iron sights.

txray22

The Henry I saw was a blue steel one. I'm not going brass. I liked it, but would like to have the ability to reload without taking the rifle out of service. I have an older Marlin 336 from back in the 70s. I'm just getting back to the old stuff and a little tired of the tactical flavor of the month must have.

Salmoneye

The 1894C (.357/.38) and the 1894CB (.45 Colt) have both been dropped from the Marlin catalog (2016) and website...Gallery Of Guns had these models listed as 'Allocated', but both were dropped from their site as well...