.357 loads for 4" barrel

flintlock.50

I haven't used many .357 mag loads in my S&W Model 19 with 4" barrel. Mostly I've shot .38 spl. Now I'd like to develop a maximum load in .357 mag. I tried Alliant 2400 powder, but I suspect it is too slow for this short barrel. With 158 grain bullets I only get 1032 fps vs about 1500 advertised for the same load in a 8.3" barrel. I'm not surprised that barrel length makes a huge difference, but it got me to thinking that maybe I should use a faster powder if I hope to get hotter loads in a short barrel.

I got similar results for a 140 grain bullet. Advertised MV in a 6 inch barrel*is 1298 fps; I'm getting 1050 fps. Again, I'm not surprised, but wonder if a faster powder would work better.

Any thoughts and recommendations?

Thanks

Flintlock.50

That'll Do

I'd use any of the "typical" magnum powders to work up a load. Winchester 296/Hodgdon H110, Accurate #9, or Hodgdon Lil' Gun.

What is your intended use for this load?

flintlock.50

I'm looking for something to carry in the Wyoming outdoors while hiking, fishing, hunting, etc; something more with "umph" than my Glock 19. :)

kraigwy

I don't think there is anything wrong w/2400. I load 15 grns pushing a 150 gn
LSWC (Lyman 358477) out of my 4" Model 28 Smith service revolver. Its good enough for moose that are trying to kick the poop out of your patrol car like this guy.

IMG_NEW.jpg

Flintlock 50,

Pressures tend to peak, even for very slow powders, within the first inch or two of bullet travel down the barrel. It works out, for handguns, that what is fastest in a longer barrel will also be fastest in your 4" barrel. Pretty much, until barrel length gets below 2"-3" in a handgun and maybe 4"-6" in a rifle, you'll be hard pressed to get a faster powder to give you more velocity than a slow one, if both are loaded to the same peak pressure. You can reduce recoil by going to a faster powder, but you won't buy a velocity increase with it at 4".

AlaskaMike

Nice photo Kraig! When was that, somewhere between '80 and '85 maybe?

I agree that it's hard to beat 2400. 15 grains with a 150 - 160 grain bullet is a classic load that predates virtually all of us here.

Unclenick is absolutely right on the barrel length thing--don't pay much attention to anyone who says you should go with a faster powder because of the shorter barrel.

Also, it's not uncommon at all to not be able to get the same velocity as claimed in the manual, even taking into account the barrel length they used. Sometimes the velocities I see in manuals just seem overly optimistic.

Mike

nate45

.357 Magnum loads

The first bullet, powder combo I used was the Sierra 125 grain JHP over 17.5 grains of 2400 and a magnum primer. That wasn't too bad a load, but I used it 25 years ago and have learned a lot since then.

First of all, although I never personally experienced it, the full magnum 125 grain loadings can cause forcing cone cracks in the S&W K-frames. This is well documented and S&W advised not to use the in the Model 19/66 and other K-frame .357 Magnums.

So that left me with 158 grain bullets and up to choose from.

Right now I have 3 Model 19s and I use either the 158 grain Hornaday XTP over 16.5 grains of H110/Win296 with the Winchester Large Pistol Primer. Hodgdon lists 16.7 grains as max, but I don't want to push it in my shipped in 1965 S&W 4" Model 19-2, or my shipped in 1959 4" Model 19 no dash. I don't have my loading notes handy, but I believe I got a chronograph average of around 1300 fps out of the 4 inch barrel of the 19-2. The 158 grain XTP delivers good penetration and expasion, just like the rest of the XTP line.

The best bullet so far devised for the .357 Magnum, is in my opinion, the Nosler 180 grain Partition-HG. For defense, or hunting no other .357 projectile quite matches its performance. This projectile is also loaded and sold by Winchester as the Partition Gold. 13.5 grains of H110/Win296 is the published max for the 180 grain. The recoil is easily manageble and its fairly easy on your guns.

attachment.php

.357 Mag Win 180 gr Partition Gold (S357P) from S&W 686 4"

BG*: vel=1075, pen=18.1, RD=.57, RW*=171.1gr

4 layer denim: vel=1090 f/s, pen=20+", RD*=0.53, RW*=175.6gr

auto windshield: vel=1072, pen=20+", RD*=0.39, RW*=178.0gr

*RW(recovered weight) *RD(recovered diameter) *BG(bare ballistic gelatin)

It slices! It dices!:)

Partition Gold .357 Expanded.JPG

Crankylove

I had some handloads for my 4" GP-100 that would make you sick from the concussion, I couldn't even pay people to shoot them. Only loaded them once, just for poops and giggles........wasn't much giggling goin on. It is listed as a MAX load, and it has recoil to spare.......20 grains of W296 with a 125 grain remmington HP. They were showing slight primer flattening, but no ejection issues......use at your own risk.

Last edited: