357...JSP Vs FMJ

John D

Both will do the job if they hit the right spot. I had a friend who shot a 120# mountain lion that had been struck twice by .45 ACP hollow point rounds and still had an incredible amount of fight left in him. Bigger and faster is always better but shot placement reigns supreme.

jmr40

I can't explain how, or why, but the heavy for caliber hardcast bullets offered by Double Tap, Buffalo Bore and others including hand loaders will significantly out penetrate either FMJ or JSP. I've seen test results showing 147 gr 9mm loads with these bullets penetrating 60+ " I say 60+ because they only had 60" of gel and did not catch the bullet. You see similar things with all other cartridges using those loads. With conventional JHP or FMJ we're looking at closer to 24" of penetration, often less.

If I were carrying a 357 mag where bear were a concern I'd use 180 gr bullets minimum. A 180 or 200 gr JHP would work just fine on "average" bear. If in an area where bigger, or more aggressive bear were a possibility I'd feel a LOT better with the hotter hardcast loads.

A HP bullet that is heavy enough to still give good penetration will kill quicker. I don't think 158 gr is heavy enough at 35 caliber. When you get to really big animals, especially with smaller guns you give up on expansion and go for all the penetration you can get.

HighValleyRanch

What repressive state are you in? I'm in CA, and we cannot order online either, but I was able to find a dealer who put in a special order for Buffalobore ammo since they are one of their suppliers. You can also have BB ship to one of your FFL's.

bamaranger said:
I've not read the article concerning grease or lube on SWC shoulder. But obstructing the very surface (with lube or grease) that is supposed to be the determining factor in the wound channel seems counter productive.
I don't have to read the article. If his argument is that the shoulder of a SWC doesn't do anything because I proved it by filling it with grease to make it smooth -- that's what we call "dumb."

It probably involves one of more logical fallacies, but I'm much too tired to look up which one(s).

rc

I think the ammo companies try not to produce a factory load that will punch a vest. The right FMJ bullet fired from a 357 may be considered armor piercing.

drobs

I see you live in Illinois. I never had any problem ordering ammo when I lived in Wood Dale - 10 years ago.

Only bears I saw in Illinois were at Soldier Field or in a Zoo.

Last edited: